Note to New Members ×

Looking for a wide softboot board, need suggestions.

lonbordin

I'm a big guy (194cm/114kgs) looking for a new softboot board.  Definitely open to the volume shifted boards.

My desires:

• 28 + cm waist width
  • Camber underfoot
  • Directional
  • Torsionally stiff
  • No edge "tech"
  • No multiple base angle "tech"
  • prefer production over custom
  • prefer 9+ sidecut

The known (to me) contenders:

Manufacture     Model                 Length    Width
Smokin              Pillow Monster    152         29
Nitro                  The Quiver POW  154         28
Endeavor          Archetype             160         28.2
Soul                   Pitch Wing            161        28.2
Gentemstick     Big Fish                163        28.7
Gentemstick     Fly Fisk                 164        28.7
Korua               Cafe Racer             164        27.8
LTB                     Crude                    165        29.3
Donek               Custom                  167        29
Elan                  El Grande               167         28
Nitro                Magnum                 168        27.8
Nitro                Magnum                 171        27.9
Elan                  El Grande               171        28.4

I'm interested in finding out more options and any feedback about the one's listed.

Thanks!

EDIT-  Just FYI my daily driver is hardboots on a Coiler 182 Nirvana Balance 24 cm waist scr 12-14 (Flex 6.7 + 5, with powder nose (it's really a 178 + nose) and AM taper)

Edited by lonbordin
details... details... and devils...

El grande is the only choice for 114kg (240-250lbs) I think. I would also take length over width, unless you have U13 boots. And you're likely looking at 11+ sidecut.  If you want something to be stiff with that weight - you're looking at BX boards.

I really liked NS legacy, that's 174/27cm. I tried Donek Inclide 180/28cm - it was too big in either dimension: I would like 180x26 or 170x28 instead.  I liked Prior MFR too - probably my fav among "classic" boards. Now I have NS Chairman and it's compatible to boards I listed above.  I also have SG Force 165FAT (Fat meas wide, but it's not very wide at 26.x cm) - way more stable then chairman and better offpiste then I expected. 

It's very hard to find something that matches that criteria. Lib tech skink ape - but it comes with wavy edges. NS doesn't make Legacy in 174cm anymore. 

I'm 6"4/220-225lbs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TLN said:

El grande is the only choice for 114kg (240-250lbs) I think. I would also take length over width, unless you have U13 boots. And you're likely looking at 11+ sidecut.  If you want something to be stiff with that weight - you're looking at BX boards.

I really liked NS legacy, that's 174/27cm. I tried Donek Inclide 180/28cm - it was too big in either dimension: I would like 180x26 or 170x28 instead.  I liked Prior MFR too - probably my fav among "classic" boards. Now I have NS Chairman and it's compatible to boards I listed above.  I also have SG Force 165FAT (Fat meas wide, but it's not very wide at 26.x cm) - way more stable then chairman and better offpiste then I expected. 

It's very hard to find something that matches that criteria. Lib tech skink ape - but it comes with wavy edges. NS doesn't make Legacy in 174cm anymore. 

I'm 6"4/220-225lbs.

My Malamutes are Mondo 30 (13). I'm hoping to go down to 29s or that the new reduced sole length will help. I've done the numbers and to reach the angles I want I need 28+

Thanks!

42 minutes ago, fishrising said:

Call Sean, ask for a Donek Momona.  Love mine.  175 x 28.5 waist, not sure of side cut.  I’m a size 14/15 foot, mondo 31.5, 6’7” (200cm) 260lbs (118kg).  Or a new Donek Hazelwood or Rad-Air Tanker!

Rad-air boards are too narrow for what I'm looking for... I like Sean and Donek. I'd like to buy a production stick as I'll be traveling and warranty could be an issue.

I've never heard of a Momona... is that a blend of other Donek shapes like the ProMad?

Thanks.

Edited by lonbordin

32 minutes ago, fishrising said:

Also look at the Lib-Tech Skink Ape 170UW HP C2 170x28.5 waist.  

Magne-traction is a load of horse manure... I wish they made boards without it!

Sorry... I don't want to offend.  I do like my old Lib Tech Grocer (pre magne).  Just frustrating...

Edited by lonbordin

1 hour ago, daveo said:

The edge hold with magne traction is I N S A N E. Have you tried it? 

I'm really not sure if that's supposed to be a joke but I'll take it on the face value. 

Yes I have tried it and a few other edge traction "improvements".  No better than a plain old sharp edge and the maintenance, ugh. 

It appears the entire ski/snowboard racing community agrees with me.

Mahalo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, lonbordin said:

I like Sean and Donek. I'd like to buy a production stick as I'll be traveling and warranty could be an issue.

I have built many boards with Sean. Warranty would be the least of my worries. You get everything you want in 10-14 days. I have 2 hazelwoods that I have over 100 days each on (and they are still in great shape). The quality of the materials makes the boards last.  I have had 3 people go to Donek after riding mine and order there own.  

Disclaimer;

Performance of custom boards causes poor financial planning. You may decided to build your own custom quiver. It can be adictave!

• Thanks 1

My experience with some of the listed boards (keep in mind I ride normal widths so YMMV):

Donek: Honestly that would be my choice for a wide, stiff board. You know Sean. You know what he offers, nothing more to add.

Korua: I was really disappointed with the Korua (can't remember which one I rode). The reviews were awesome but the board didn't deliver IMHO. It could have been just me. 

Gentemstick (Manta Ray?): MEH. It was fine but that was just it. They are really well made though.

I am really curious about the Soul Pitch Wing. Would love to try it... Looks cool!

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2019 at 11:05 AM, daveo said:

I think Jones make a couple wide boys...

Brucey V making anything wide?

Widest Jones board is the Stormchaser at 27.5 plus it's all rocker, plus it's got edge "tech", plus it has base angle "tech" so.. no thanks!

Bruce is limited to 27cm wide.

According to new info, received via PM,new Bruce can go at least to 27.5 perhaps a touch wider.

Edited by lonbordin
new info

6 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

Widest Jones board is the Stormchaser at 27.5 plus it's all rocker, plus it's got edge "tech", plus it has base angle "tech" so.. no thanks!

Bruce is limited to 27cm wide.

Right. My bad.

Options aren't exactly plentiful it seems 😞 

It's a challenge but like other recommendations  Donek seems the better choice custom.

Or playing the same disc again but Fullbag DB with risers. I have 29.0 mondo malamutes. Perfect with 12mm risers like the JJA ones. 

But seems like a challenge 27+ waist stock offerings by companies. 

Good reviews on the Archetype on the snowboarding forum.

Pitch wings looks good also? Ask Corran

Tried a K2 cool bean. Not that good.

Swoard dual 175cm is 27cm wide.

The 27.5 Soul SG was not bad but not at your weight.  Kinda noodle even at my weight 95kg.

Will help you search one. 🙂

Edited by Poloturbo
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, JRAZZ said:

My experience with some of the listed boards (keep in mind I ride normal widths so YMMV):

Donek: Honestly that would be my choice for a wide, stiff board. You know Sean. You know what he offers, nothing more to add.

Korua: I was really disappointed with the Korua (can't remember which one I rode). The reviews were awesome but the board didn't deliver IMHO. It could have been just me. 

Gentemstick (Manta Ray?): MEH. It was fine but that was just it. They are really well made though.

I am really curious about the Soul Pitch Wing. Would love to try it... Looks cool!

It wasn’t just you... I got a Café Racer and it didn’t beat the carving ability of either my Sims TK2 or my Yes Optimistic.

Pretty, but unimpressive.

It’s currently on the Bay of E...😔

32 minutes ago, Poloturbo said:

How about the new Arbor A-frame 170W

Looks pretty close.

11 hours ago, scottishsurfer said:

SG soul 159XT is a really good board but maybe a tad narrow for you since its 27.5cm

Thanks for the replies!

28.0 is my low end and I'd rather larger.

To me this board* is "spicy" and more in the direction I'm looking.

*LTB Crude (DC165XXW)- http://www.ltbsnowboards.com/freeride-snowboards/ltb-crude-snowboard  

What blows my mind (from a business perspective) is why the offerings are so limited.  You'd think some manufacture would have a tapered camber shape that they offer in 24.5/25.5/26.5/27.5/28.5  covering the whole spectrum of feet.