Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the lift line - 2018/2019

Corey

36 minutes ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

The Aspen Times has in the past received letters of complaint about all the trenches that occurred during SES.  I couldn't find one online but I did find a response to one here.

I might be wrong here, but I suspect ''Gretchen'' might be married to one of us.   Scott, care to comment?

Mario 

56 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

Group of us at Buttermilk today, broke up after lunch after tearing up the slopes below the main lift from base. 

After lunch I ride the Tieback chair by myself. I'm tightening up my boots when the next chair arrives and an older skier slid along side. Actually make that grumpy older skier.

GOS: Those THINGS make DEEP GROOVES in the SNOW. (said as if he owned the snow in question)

Me: Yeah, we don't skid our turns.....we carve them.

GOS: Silence, a pause, then poles away from me.

Kinda sad Im not the r to contribute to the carnage

• Sad 1

I had a guy on the chairlift very politely telling me that I would be a much better snowboarder, like many other people of greatness,  that are very good at it, that he knows, If I were to gently initiate and gently/lightly and carefully release my energy thru the snow. He said that a person who can do this is truly a very talented snowboarder. And should be the goal of all snowboarders. 

He then said, that I was hitting the turn with all my weight at the very start of the turn, and then continuing in this manner and making big giant ruts In the snow,  to which the skiers really do not like.  I respectfully repeated  his new method, and said that I would keep that in mind and give it a try, and thanked him for his outlook and knowledge.     I then asked him his boot size, and that I can get him set up in some demo gear if he would like to try alpineboarding.... silence.   

Edited by RobertAlexander
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

Today as I got off the chairlift a person came right up to me... I prepared for the worst.

He said,  "I love how you ride it looks like you're surfing!"  

We had a chat... he was very nice.  That is probably the BEST compliment someone could ever have given me...  I think I'll revel in that for awhile.

Edited by lonbordin
I miss surfing....
  • Like 2

"Do you know Dane?"

Asked by a ski instructor / one time US team alpine racer, upon hearing that I do a Schweitzer trip every winter. 🤣 I replied "You mean the Mayor of Schweitzer?" Apparently she had been on a trip there, ran into Dane and Russ, and complimented their riding, at which point Dane offered her a demo from his rolling gear storage (aka "van"). 

"I need to talk to this guy about his Superconductor."

The other single that was boarding the chair with me and a couple, explaining why he wanted to sit next to me. He read the name off my board, and was wearing skis, but wanted to talk about gear. Always fun to have tech talk with another gearhead. 🙂

• Like 1

On 2/2/2019 at 1:05 AM, SunSurfer said:

Group of us at Buttermilk today, broke up after lunch after tearing up the slopes below the main lift from base. 

After lunch I ride the Tieback chair by myself. I'm tightening up my boots when the next chair arrives and an older skier slid along side. Actually make that grumpy older skier.

GOS: Those THINGS make DEEP GROOVES in the SNOW. (said as if he owned the snow in question)

Me: Yeah, we don't skid our turns.....we carve them.

GOS: Silence, a pause, then poles away from me.

Maybe you shoulda tried a hearty "THANKS!!!", with a very chipper smile?

Parked my 185 Thirst outside Todd Mt coffee at the base of Sun Peaks as I went in for a quick breakfast. Afterwards, sitting on a nearby bench outside, adjusting my boots, one of the baristas came out and called over to me "are you Dave?(I'm thinking who could be looking for me?):ph34r:...Big Wave Dave?" (How do they know that? Maybe I really am bigger than I think I am).:ices_angeI look up and see both baristas standing next to my board asking, "Is this your board?...It's sooo cool!" :1luvu:Then I remember, in anticipation of several 8rw's with the exact same topsheet being at MCC, I had written BigWaveDave on some masking tape on the nose of my board.:cool:

On the other hand, I have been pleasantly surprised by how many people here know that it's a carving board.:biggthump  Met a snowboard instructor (Greg) from Whistler teaching a level 2 class and riding a Prior MFR (he's a windsurfer and used to ride Alpine) and he's in the process of getting a custom softboot carver from Bruce.

I later passed his class on the hill where he was teaching them to carve (softboots), he waved and I'm pretty sure I heard him say "watch that guy, that's how it's done".:eplus2:

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Friendly local skier on the lift ride up looks down at my boots then at my board, back at the boots. Pauses, then says “you appear to be, uh ...confused...as to your preferred method of travel.”   Me thinks it was he who was confused but we had a nice chat nonetheless. 

Edited by icebiker

On 2/5/2019 at 7:03 PM, bigwavedave said:

On the other hand, I have been pleasantly surprised by how many people here know that it's a carving board.

You might recall that SnowPerformance runs carving camps there every year or used to.  They just ran one in December but I think it was skis only.  Sean Cassidy was one of the instructors, he used to have a condo there.  I ran into him one year I was there and rode with him for a couple of days, great guy and good instructor.  So I think the locals have seen alpine boards lots before.

I heard about this one from about 15 yrs ago: http://www.alpinecarving.com/sunpeaks/  

I saw 2 hardbooters riding down the hill together from each of the Sun chairs, but never caught up with them. One had florescent yellow boots (like UPZ from a few years ago) and the other was on what looked to be an F2 SL.

• Like 1

One of the downsides of MCC for me (aside from the fact that I won't be there) is that it will not be the source of a bunch of funny anecdotes for this thread.  It's going to be a bunch of people who know exactly what's up.  I suppose folks can post all the nice things that other people will say to them about their riding...

• Haha 1

Had two comments this week...

I was in Whistler Sunday to Tuesday.  My last day there I was going down a narrow run and I could see a skier behind me catching up.  I stopped to let them past, and well before they caught up to me.  As she passed she yelled out "you're using too much of the hill".  😡

Back in Ontario, yesterday I went with my daughters school on their ski trip.  Grade school kids everywhere.  Lakeridge, a tiny hill had great conditions and I was having fun on a steep run called Riekeys Run.  When pulling into the lift line I head a tiny voice yell "You are the master of snowboarding".  😊

• Like 4