Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the lift line - 2018/2019

Corey

7 hours ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

I typically avoid random conversation like the plague (blackout goggles, headphones in), but last week one lady touched a special place in my cold, mechanical heart. 

While I was stopped on the side of the hill picking dingleberries, a veteran lady skier stopped and told me “I just wanted to let you know that what you’re doing is really beautiful.” Before I could even open my mouth she took off with her silver tresses flowing in the breeze. 

CM, where was that? In Snowmass in 2017 I had a similar experience, older gray haired female skier commented "You are poetry in motion."

• Like 1

Recently, I've heard lots of comments describing the gear/style correctly, or close to correctly. Of course, there are always the confused ones too, who ask polite questions. 
Other day, I shared a chair with 3 softbooters in their late 20s, I guess. 2 were genuinely interested, one of those pretty stoked too and the 3rd tried some very subtle digs (I didn't react). Few laps later thy were hauling and cheering from the chair, when I was ripping under. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TVR said:

On powder days, I still hardboot... with my burton race bindings on my powder board....

I torture my friends as I do duck stance.... 

Probably torture your knees too! Hardboot in duck stance with no canting is a recipe for "sitting on the toilet" all day.

59 minutes ago, SunSurfer said:

Probably torture your knees too! Hardboot in duck stance with no canting is a recipe for "sitting on the toilet" all day.

Actually no... If your boot cuffs are adjusted properly, or unlocked (I recommend for stiffer boots) and the stance is set to correct width and splay, it's just like riding the soft boots. I reccomend soft plate bindings, like RS Carve, Proflex, Carriers (the last one has built in canting)... Race plates are fine too. 

On 1/30/2019 at 1:25 AM, David Kirk said:

Today was an epic carving day at my home hill. I first went out on my GS board and was getting on the lift and the liftie said - "nice Mono-ski dude". No big deal we've heard it all before.

After a few hours on the GS board I went down to the base and traded my GS board for my slalom board and changed jackets. I went back up and the same liftie looks at me with deep astonishment and says - "you're not going to believe it dude but there's another guy up here today on a mono-ski too!"

I told him I knew the guy and was hoping to meet up with him on the hill - this was met with knowing nods of approval.

dave

Thicc with two Cs

On 1/29/2019 at 4:25 PM, David Kirk said:

Today was an epic carving day at my home hill. I first went out on my GS board and was getting on the lift and the liftie said - "nice Mono-ski dude". No big deal we've heard it all before.

After a few hours on the GS board I went down to the base and traded my GS board for my slalom board and changed jackets. I went back up and the same liftie looks at me with deep astonishment and says - "you're not going to believe it dude but there's another guy up here today on a mono-ski too!"

I told him I knew the guy and was hoping to meet up with him on the hill - this was met with knowing nods of approval.

dave

how very zen,

I highly recommend becoming one on the hill

Top of the lift. Me on my Oxess and Nate Dogg on my Kessler.

Random Aussie: Oh no way what is that? That's like a speed board or something?! 

Nate Dogg: Nah it's my park board, it rails

Me: 🤦‍♂️

Later on that day 

Me: My calves are a bit tired

Nate Dogg: I guess that's why they call it *calving*

Me: 🤦‍♂️

• Haha 4

If I had a dime for every time someone said a sentence with the word monoski in it I'd have a Kessler by now.

Does everyone else get this a lot? I'm inspired by daveo's post and may just start calling it my park board 😏

Oh yeah I was asked "is that a new thing!?!?"(in reference to my hardboots) I should of said yes so people think I'm cool

And ever since I got neon green boots, I get so many stares in the lift line. My favorite are the uncomfortable and confused looking skiers

This is fun.

• Haha 2

On 1/27/2019 at 5:05 PM, big mario said:

Maybe I'm getting too crotchety to engage some of the stupid comments I hear behind me in the lift line, but occasionally, some people actually get it. I heard someone behind odd job, Yasu, and myself explain carving boards to their chair mates, and they were spot on.  The best was a few weeks ago, while standing at the top of spillway, I told a pair of skiers to give me 30 seconds while I dropped in. They obliged, and looked at odd job, and said "go, we wanna watch". Those two instances where a nice break form the inanity we usually suffer from some of the mossyoak clad Texans we usually encounter

We did have that group of tele-skiers up on top of Roulette. They said something to the effect of "well nobody can carve like these guys".

You run across niceness here and there.

• Like 1

Group of us at Buttermilk today, broke up after lunch after tearing up the slopes below the main lift from base. 

After lunch I ride the Tieback chair by myself. I'm tightening up my boots when the next chair arrives and an older skier slid along side. Actually make that grumpy older skier.

GOS: Those THINGS make DEEP GROOVES in the SNOW. (said as if he owned the snow in question)

Me: Yeah, we don't skid our turns.....we carve them.

GOS: Silence, a pause, then poles away from me.

• Like 6