Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the lift line - 2018/2019

Corey

All on the same lift ride - me riding a Coiler 180 with Td3 SI.

"Do you snowboard too?" This is a snowboard.

"Why aren't your feet side by side like most monoskis?" This is a snowboard. 

"So when you snowboard, what do you ride?" This is a snowboard. At that point I kind of gave up. I wasn't rude by any means, but he just wasn't comprehending that your average grocery getter and an Formula One Ferrari are still both cars. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, softbootsurfer said:

Well...actually on the Bus to the Lift...The Driver says,  "Is your name Bob?, do you Carve turns? ", "I remember seeing you years ago, when I was snowboarding",  "I remember those Weird Bindings you use"... 😨 :biggthump

add three strapper Bob to the list:eplus2:

On 1/10/2019 at 1:28 PM, 1xsculler said:

too old to learn to snowboard."  My response, "So am I.  That's why I do this carving thing...it's barely related to snowboarding."

On 1/14/2019 at 4:13 PM, BlueB said:

You are not doing any service to alpine with statements like that... 

Hey XC,        Have to agree with BB on this one............  

You could  say.....it's never to late to be the snowboarder you might have been!

I got off the lift at the top today and a soft boot young man came sliding up and looked at my Kessler and said "sick euro-mono mister." He said it with such authority it made me wonder if that's what it was!

There were lots of layers to unpack there but I just smiled and said "thank you."

dave

Maybe I'm getting too crotchety to engage some of the stupid comments I hear behind me in the lift line, but occasionally, some people actually get it. I heard someone behind odd job, Yasu, and myself explain carving boards to their chair mates, and they were spot on.  The best was a few weeks ago, while standing at the top of spillway, I told a pair of skiers to give me 30 seconds while I dropped in. They obliged, and looked at odd job, and said "go, we wanna watch". Those two instances where a nice break form the inanity we usually suffer from some of the mossyoak clad Texans we usually encounter

Edited by big mario
  • Like 4

Mario's story reminds of 2 days ago carving up some hero groom at Giant's Ridge.  2 skiers got off the chair behind us and were complimenting Russ on his excellent carving under the chair earlier. I was clipping in and nudging my board to go as the skiers came up beside me. They told me to go ahead so they could follow and watch. I looked up a couple of times on the way down, worried that they might try to pass,  but they were respectful and didn't try to. At the bottom they were very complimentary and in impressed by how low I could go, and I don't even lay down in my turns. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, bigwavedave said:

complimenting Russ on his excellent carving under the chair earlier.

This I believe...

36 minutes ago, bigwavedave said:

At the bottom they were very complimentary and in impressed by how low I could go, and I don't even lay down in my turns

This is a lie.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, bigwavedave said:

Mario's story reminds of 2 days ago carving up some hero groom at Giant's Ridge.  2 skiers got off the chair behind us and were complimenting Russ on his excellent carving under the chair earlier. I was clipping in and nudging my board to go as the skiers came up beside me. They told me to go ahead so they could follow and watch. I looked up a couple of times on the way down, worried that they might try to pass,  but they were respectful and didn't try to. At the bottom they were very complimentary and in impressed by how low I could go, and I don't even lay down in my turns. 

Ive got to say getting compliments from skiers is somewhat odd experience when it happens to me, its defintely a change from the complaints for trenching up the slope.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, scottishsurfer said:

Ive got to say getting compliments from skiers is somewhat odd experience when it happens to me, its defintely a change from the complaints for trenching up the slope.

Few years back at ECES, Bobby Buggs and I came down a run and one of the instructors from Stratton's Perfect Turn clinic, or whatever it's called, was pointing his ski pole at us. We pulled up close enough to hear he was using us as an example for something he was teaching. The whole scene was hysterical. His face looked like he was stoked about using snowboarders as an example. The skiers in his clas looked like he had just insulted their mothers.😄

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, jng said:

As I approached a ski race instructor and a pack of his young charges...

Instructor: Cool! An offset monoski!

Me: It's actually a snowboard.

Instructor: You have ski boots. That's definitely an offset mono!

Me: You have no idea how much it pains me to hear you say this.

Reminds me of the argument I had riding the lift with an instructor, who insisted that I was riding a "carveboard", not a snowboard.

I typically avoid random conversation like the plague (blackout goggles, headphones in), but last week one lady touched a special place in my cold, mechanical heart. 

While I was stopped on the side of the hill picking dingleberries, a veteran lady skier stopped and told me “I just wanted to let you know that what you’re doing is really beautiful.” Before I could even open my mouth she took off with her silver tresses flowing in the breeze. 

• Like 8

11 minutes ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

I typically avoid random conversation like the plague (blackout goggles, headphones in), but last week one lady touched a special place in my cold, mechanical heart. 

While I was stopped on the side of the hill picking dingleberries, a veteran lady skier stopped and told me “I just wanted to let you know that what you’re doing is really beautiful.” Before I could even open my mouth she took off with her silver tresses flowing in the breeze. 

I never knew little old ladies found picking dingleberries beautiful. Come to think of it, it is kind of beautiful. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1

Dropped behind Lunch rock at Winter Park down a very easy flat groomer. Riding my Alloy DO. Love this board but like a good hammerhead, it needs an edge all the time so flat base riding is not really an option. So I was just pinballing left and right down the run. We stop at the top of another chair to figure out where we are going. My music is blaring and a skier comments to me. I scramble to lower the volume as he compliments my smooth line and that he never sees snowboarders do that. I could have sworn I was going to get the “you cut me off” or “you were in my lane” line. I said thank you. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, slopestar said:

Love this board but like a good hammerhead, it needs an edge all the time so flat base riding is not really an option.

Why does it need an edge all the time and can't be flat ridden, though? Catchy? 

Edited by daveo

7 minutes ago, daveo said:

May I ask what your base angle is on? 

I have not touched this board other than wax and knocking off the edge on the tip and tail past the contact points. So I’m assuming 90base/90 side. I usually knock of 1 on the base and 2 on the side but I’ve never heard that in the lift line

Edited by slopestar

5 minutes ago, slopestar said:

I have not touched this board other than wax and knocking off the edge on the tip and tail past the contact points. So I’m assuming 90base/90 side. I usually knock of 1 on the base and 2 on the side

Do you find boards are less hooky once a base bevel is set? I sure do.

I rode a hammerhead last season (SG Soul 164- 144 ee) and it was not hooky at all. I did the base on 0.5 and sides on 2. I did slightly go over 1.5 or so inch of the contact points' edge with 600 grit sandpaper. Just 4 passes total. Nothing dramatic.

That routine seems to work on every board for me to get rid of the hookiness.

Maybe you don't mind it but I find hookiness one of the most unsettling and disconcerting things with snowboarding. 

Edited by daveo
  • Like 2