Note to New Members ×

Heard it in the lift line - 2018/2019

Corey

"Hey! You're awesome at ... <pause> whatever it is that you're doing!"

Had a smile for a few runs after that one! 

I took out the Dupraz for a run for kicks. I've never had more sideways/funny looks than wearing hardboots on a powder board with a big swoopy nose - in the prairies, on man-made groom. LOL! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Corey said:

"Hey! You're awesome at ... <pause> whatever it is that you're doing!"

in the prairies, on man-made groom. LOL! 

On a hill that's really a valley cut down by a river millions of years ago that is now a creek. You would have to see it to believe it ! Doesn't matter where you ride the ride up always equals the ride down.

Haha!  Great "crazy person" think a like 😉  At this point I am convince those who carve well can strap a piece of 2x4 and make it look easy.

Took out 178 Dynstar 4807 after a day of rain, warm and soft temperature, no groom, mash potato conditions
It worked much better than expected.  It did make sense in hindsight.  The 178 length shrunk quickly when I let it do it's thing. 

• 2 weeks later...

Score one for those like us who still rock leashes and the lifties that appreciate it....

On a lift at Smuggs last week my board released from the front binding when I passed through the mid-station on my way topside and the board snagged on the midstation ramp due to poor clearance between the foot rests and the midstation ramp. 

My leash caught the board before it fell. I couldn’t clip back in while on the lift so I held the board in my lap for the rest of the ride.  When I got to the top I motioned to the topside liftie to slow the chair down so I could walk off (this was an old school non-detachable lift).  I scampered down the unloading ramp and proceeded to get clipped back in

Topside liftie comes over to me with a bit of edge in his voice wondering why I took my board off on the ride up and telling me that was a dangerous move.  I calmly told him the story and made sure to point out my leash and that it saved the day. 

He lightened up and said “ok, cool, right on!”  then walked past a few softbooters and, motioning to me, called out to them and said “you need to be like this guy and use a leash so your board doesn’t run down the slope and hurt someone!”

i thought it was a bit harsh since the boarders In question were minding their own business and seemed caught off guard. 

Later that day the reason became more clear to me.  As i walked to the car after my last run, I heard the loudspeaker at the nearby lift (different from the one I had been on earlier) blare “Runaway Board! Runaway Board!! Watch out!!!”  

The liftie then ordered the boarder in question to approach the lift and said boarder got a bit of a dressing down.  His friends in the meantime were mocking the liftie’s firm tone, to which said liftie admonished “just wait until you get hit by one of these, you won’t be laughing”. 

Sounds like Smuggs has sadly had a bit of experience with runaways.   Come to think of it, I don’t recall seeing boarders using leashes anymore for quite some time, except of course for us hardboot types.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, icebiker said:

Sounds like Smuggs has sadly had a bit of experience with runaways.   Come to think of it, I don’t recall seeing boarders using leashes anymore for quite some time, except of course for us hardboot types.  

Ill wear leash riding hards but no point riding soft if i board is zipping down the hill it means the binding has separated from the board and as a result so will have the leash lol

Edited by scottishsurfer

6 hours ago, scottishsurfer said:

Ill wear leash riding hards but no point riding soft if i board is zipping down the hill it means the binding has separated from the board and as a result so will have the leash lol

I think in the case of the boarder in question he was upslope buckling in and it got away from him. If he had a leash he would have held onto the leash, wrapped it around his leg, then and only then attempted to buckle in.  Leash always first, then bindings. 😉  

• Like 2

"Why do you wear ski boots on a snowboard?"

Heard from the guys getting on the chair behind me, "I think he must be a racer, or something."

"Looks like a cool vintage board, Dude."  "No, it's a brand new custom Coiler."

"Why to you have both feet pointing in the same direction?"

"You should try this."  "Oh, I am too old to learn to snowboard."  My response, "So am I.  That's why I do this carving thing...it's barely related to snowboarding."

Most people who are the least bit observant just look at me weird.

Why, since I saw my first VHS tape of Cliff carving in about 2000, do I still think it's the coolest thing on the planet AND I have been unable to get one single one of my ski buddies the least bit interested in it?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 1xsculler said:

Why, since I saw my first VHS tape of Cliff carving in about 2000, do I still think it's the coolest thing on the planet AND I have been unable to get one single one of my ski buddies the least bit interested in it?

I don't know, I convinced one of my ski buddies to try it and she loved it!

19 hours ago, icebiker said:

I think in the case of the boarder in question he was upslope buckling in and it got away from him. If he had a leash he would have held onto the leash, wrapped it around his leg, then and only then attempted to buckle in.  Leash always first, then bindings. 😉  

Most likely the case though if hes going to let the board disappear off down the hill strapping in i do wonder if he'd make the same mistake in the process of putting on the leash. Just like life incompetence finds a way lol

On 1/10/2019 at 10:28 AM, 1xsculler said:

AND I have been unable to get one single one of my ski buddies the least bit interested in it?

My coworkers all seem sort of scared of it. My skier coworkers find the setup rad, but the lack of release scares them. The snowboarders are more like "now that's a retro setup" or they're just straight up confused. They seem scared of the binding systems.

It might be because our equipment is scary XD

21 minutes ago, nuisanceIV said:

My skier coworkers find the setup rad, but the lack of release scares them.

That's a snowboard-specific issue though, not a hardboot one.  I believe there were some stats around that said risk of leg injury was equivalent but skiers tended to injure knees and snowboarders ankles.  That was a softboot stat though, not sure on the hardboot one.  Basically the fact that your legs are both locked onto the board saves your knees as you do not have a long lever arm acting on one knee.  Releasable snowboard bindings would be a nightmare, a single release would be worse than no release.  Even if you could make both bindings release reliably, what do you do with the loose board?  A ski brake equivalent is unlikely to work, and a board windmilling around on a leash is super dangerous.  I think quite a few of us old timers remember the bad old days of skiing with leashes rather than brakes...

• Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 10:28 AM, 1xsculler said:

"You should try this."  "Oh, I am too old to learn to snowboard."  My response, "So am I.  That's why I do this carving thing...it's barely related to snowboarding."

You are not doing any service to alpine with statements like that... 

You could tell them: "It's never too late for a happy childhood!" 😉

• Like 2

My strangest thing this season, not alpine related and not in the lift line but just in front of the lodge, by snow school groups gathering area: 

Light freezing rain, I'm standing with few students, waiting for few more to show up. A random teen approached and asked if I had "the face thing" (to give him) because the snow is hurting his face. I just directed him to the store, 20m away... I was shocked at the total lack of common sense and feeling of entitlement. Where is this world going?!? 🤪🤯

Edited by BlueB
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Neil Gendzwill said:

Releasable snowboard bindings would be a nightmare, a single release would be worse than no release.  

Hey dont be giving non-snowboarder engineers any ideas now. 

I've released from my hardboots(toe drag) that was terrifying. Releasing? No thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2019 at 4:52 PM, scottishsurfer said:

Most likely the case though if hes going to let the board disappear off down the hill strapping in i do wonder if he'd make the same mistake in the process of putting on the leash. Just like life incompetence finds a way lol

A leash was always a reminder of what could happen. The first time a millennial boarder discovers the dangers of taking off an unsecured board on the hill, might be too late. TBH though I haven't seen any more runaway boards recently, than I did Twenty odd years ago . Maybe friends are getting better at chasing down the runaways.

16 hours ago, bumpyride said:

"Sorry Bro, I don't ride with Hardbooters.  It's a morality thing".

Says the Dirtbag in unkempt beard and dirty baggy pants.

I got to ride up the triple in the lounge position while he made everyone wait for an extra chair.

I shall pray to lift queue God's that he may receive many beginners behind him riding into his board, while waiting for the lift- the ultimate punishment to him.

• Like 2