Note to New Members ×

Alloy D.O. 165

slopestar

Cuts like the name says D.O. Is Korean for Blade... I pushed her hard enough to sheer both hinge bolts for the highbacks on my front foot of my Flow Nx2GT bindings. Getting more video and frame grabs to share. And some more binding hardware....

facebook alloy or Shane kang or Lance Felice... my profile is wiiiiiide open for a video snippet

Edited by slopestar

I’m a heavyweight and certainly like th 15%. I think I was just a bit too big for the 161. For me, it was awesome going fast OR yanking turns however. If I rolled over to crank a really hard turn at speed, I thought the board would make the turn and throw me out of it... like I couldn’t keep up with it? 

The 165 yanks turns and goes fast and stable however, I can go fast over to the edge of run and crank hard and hold on to the turn. Does that make sense?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Do you know what the side cut on it is?

We really need to meetup on the hill and swap boards 🙂  It seems to me that one is a "slalom" board while the other is a "GS".

I have a feeling that you are right and the heavyweight part might be the reason you like the 165 and I liked the 161. That and the fact that you're also way more agro than me 😉

Either way I'm stoked you bought it!

p.s. remember I moved the binding back a bit? It made a huge difference in the handling. While my heelside still sucked I was able to hold a very decent toe side on it though at lower speeds than you. 

12 hours ago, Poloturbo said:

Thanks for your reply.

I'm interested compared to your custom Donek of this year.

Tried 2 days and bought it as to be special of some sort.

Reminds me of my TBX Jasey. Instant buy after a few hours. 

Do you REALLY need the Alloy when you have the JJA beast?!! 🤣

15 hours ago, Poloturbo said:

I'm interested compared to your custom Donek of this year.

The 168 saber is waiting for a set of power plates... I like the weight/dampening power plates provide. The printed risers just were too light for it. That saber is more for random weekday high speed groomers. Bigger waist/bigger side cut/longer with a nose instead of hammerhead like my old faithful 165

• Like 1

^^^ I agree. Unless the 161 or 157 DO carbon is your size preference. I rode today at Loveland. Fixed my broken Flow NX2 GT's with some spare parts... and did a few soul style runs where I was alone on one of my favorite runs(chair 3 in the valley) really firm snow and cold temps (5*)and just pushed hard through 3-4 turns, all in... Stopped, reset and dropped again. Did this 3-4 times/12-15 turns total and just found out where this board and I were. Fluidity, flow, speed, power... Just love this thing. Average of 12+ sidecut and gobs of camber.. "chronic booster" (proprietary Alloy strips running near tip to tail) give pop where the carbon topsheet provides dampness. Pyramid torsion box between the feet. Its a harmonious balance that speaks to me and has carved it's place into my small quiver of Softboot boards and my one and only Alpine ride. As the profile says, no one cares what boots I wear. And hard boots have their place and this Alloy fits squarley at Number 1 in my quiver. Call Don Anderson... Test drive one, ride mine... 

Edited by slopestar
  • Like 3

Thanks for a great review. Will need to try this camber machine some day.

Like the tech and sound of 11+ stiffness.  I'm at 205 pounds.

There is a chance it will go wide next year? No news on this.

Would jump on it as with big 29.0 malamutes it's a bit tight with 33/15 angles on 25.8.Had amazing time the last few days on the jja with risers, beast beast of a board.

Don don't ship it I will probably buy it ;).

Edited by Poloturbo

On 1/4/2019 at 9:23 PM, piusthedrcarve said:

Only tweak for next year model will be more forwarded inserts placement as of current. 

Yeah...... after reviewing (and acquiring!) last years 161 I also was of the opinion and suggested to Don and Shane another set of forward inserts in future production models!

You guys on the 165 (SCR 13/10.5/11.5)  see a substantially different turning radius from the 161?  (SCR 11/9.5/10.5)

Does anybody have the base/edge angles  from the factory for the 165 compared to the 161??  I had that info for the 161 from Don but can't find it......... I remember it being something obtuse/unusual  :confused:

Edited by barryj

DO 161 VIDEO REVIEW.

I got to ride the DO 161 twice briefly... once in softs, once in hards. The buddy I normally ride with, who’s an awesome videographer, is in Niseko, enjoying waist deep pow, so the filming wasn’t ideal...sorry.

@Alloy Snow USA Don and I were having a discussion about rotating highbacks, not being able to rotate them enough, so you only get to use 1/2 to 1/3 of the available heelside support! 
Problem is, with the angles that most people ride in softs, the binding manufacturers don’t make them with enough rotation for the angles that we want to ride at! 
For me personally, I’d love a shorter (157-158), wider (26.4cm) version of the board. It would be awesome! That way, you wouldn’t have to rotate the bindings forward as much, gaining more heelside support in softs. 
One thing I think would help, would be to soften the nose slightly, making it a little more playful, while at the same time, the differential between the nose and tail, might well give it more acceleration, when you use a fore/aft movement.

I didn’t get that much acceleration out of the tail, even with lots of fore/aft movements. But that may be the fact that most of the previous testers have between 15-50lbs on me! 
Crazy, with my two job schedule, I only managed to ride it twice, but it was great fun. 

Anyway, be kind...first time back in hards for 2yrs  

Edited by Emdee406
Omission
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

18 minutes ago, Emdee406 said:

Problem is, with the angles that most people ride in softs, the binding manufacturers don’t make them with enough rotation for the angles that we want to ride at! 

Thats one of the mains reasons i bond plastic stiffners down the inside back of my softboot outers so there is very little rearward flex of the boot. 🙂

Pretty good and review!

• Thanks 1

I am impatiently waiting to get ahold of the 161 to try it.  Hopefully soon.  As far as soft boots and binding angles go, I have big feet for a little feller (size 11+ and I am just under 5'10") so this has alway been an issue.  A homemade third strap around the cuff like Burton used to offer on their Custom's years ago does help.  There seems to be more burly soft boots coming out, like Thirty-Two's Jeremy Jones model plus others, but those are shockingly expensive.  To piggyback on scottishsurfer's idea, I have used slices of 5 gallon pails as support between the liners and shells of soft boots.  A heat gun with help with adjusting the amount it wraps around to your preference.  

• Like 1

Super stable carver, and stable at over 60mph. 

My set ups were as follows...

Boots: Salomon S-Lab, size 8.5/Head Stratos 26.5

Binding angles: Soft set up - 42F 22R, Apex Gecko Stealth plates. 

Hard set up - 48F 30R, Apex Gecko Race plates.

I rode the reference stance as marked.

The El Hefes only rotate so far, so I didn’t want to go any steeper, and lose more heelside support. Once I got onto double blue pitch, I started ‘heelcupping-out’, when I got too low and aggressive. 

@Waboarder, video review above...you won’t be disappointed! 👍🏽

Edited by Emdee406
Omission