Note to New Members ×

The Rylo 360 camera and powder

philw

So yeah, you can't buy these cameras in the UK, but you can get them in the USA and as a citizen of nowhere I'm good with that. A couple of years ago GoPro produced the Fusion and I couldn't imaging what I'd want such a thing for - a camera for producing VR, or videos I have to click around in to see things. That did nothing for me and I passed it by, wondering what the fuss was about. Eventually GoPro and others worked out how to use and sell the 360 technology: it's not about "VR", it's about not having to point the camera at what you're shooting, about being able to re-frame the video in post production. It's 100% the future and it's going to kill more traditional approaches I'm sure. For now, the quality's limited, but this is from my second day with the camera and after a quick slightly drunken edit of a single take. The snow on this run wasn't great, and I almost lose it at one point, but it's a start... and this was pretty easy to produce.

Snowboarding, oh yeah, that's a dump truck that the snow is about 10cm on windblown crust. We found better snow later, but the light was best when we were up there.

• Like 6

Aye, the pole removal is built-in to the camera's application. I've not looked at the raw footage, but I assume that's where the magic is done. The camera's on the end of a boom I'm holding in one hand, hence the slightly odd hand positioning (which I think I can fix now I know it's visible). At the end of the video you can see I swap hands; I'd probably not use that section in a real video, but maybe it helps see what's going on.

So there are a couple of key things here:

(1) having two lenses which each have 200 degree coverage means you've captured enough from slightly different perspectives to be able to remove the pole (this depends on the camera and pole being aligned, so the pole is in the place where the two images would overlap).
(2) cropping a conventional video out of the inside of a spherical video.

The Rylo Pole is quite short (70cm?) which means you're pretty close to what's a very wide lens... hence I use a carbon fibre pole which is 1.4m, giving looser framing and less "distortion" as you can see. That pole weighs less than 399g; the camera weight is probably googlable. I have found in the past that heavier / shorter poles don't work so well... most people use them and never notice, but I'm picky. This pole is a Delkin Kaboom which was about $90 I think.

The Rylo has a GoPro standard mount on the bottom, so it works with any GoPro accessory (almost none of which are useful). The standard case which is included has a handle on the bottom which has a socket for a standard (not sure what the dimensions are, but it's standard) small tripod screw, such as that on the end of the Kaboom. So it bolts right on, although you could use more complex stuff if you wanted.

Euro Carving... a crime against nature, but it the people doing it can hold a pole at the same time, then you're about to see a revolution in video capture for that. Another way to video that or similar would be to strap one of these under a drone... you can fly the drone and not bother about aiming the camera, which can be done in post production. So I'd say it's revolutionary.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone else have some footage off of a 360 camera? (yes, I've been searching youtube, just curious if anyone here had some).   I am torn between the Rylo 360 and the Insta360 One X.  Been reading / watching all I can on these 2 cameras.  I am leaning towards the Insta360 One X, due mostly to the fact that it is a year newer, less expensive, and has a GPS enabled remote.  Problem is, is that the case I'd want to use it in for snowboarding is currently sold out everywhere, and there is no expected ship date.

I just got a GoPro Fusion!  Really liked philw's clip.  I bought it because of the difficulty I had filming with my gopro, hard to keep the subject in the frame, and then stabilization was an issue too.  The Fusion made it pretty simple to edit, and I was happy with the stabilization.  I don't know anything about the cameras you're asking about -- for me the choice was between Fusion and Rylo, and I chose Fusion because it's more waterproof and was cheaper.

Interesting - that looks fairly fishy, but then I looked again at my initial video there and that is also.

I started by using the pole which Rylo supply, which is quite short but easy to use. The problem with that is that it's fairly fishy (because you're close in and you need the field of view), and tends to cause unwanted cropping (the FOV isn't big enough). I switched later to a proper 1.4m pole which avoids some of that problem, making the output less fishy. 

Editing the Rylo stuff is tricky as they're fanbois, so although you can edit on Android or iPhone, their editing program only runs on Apple to date (they claim they'll fix it). My phone is more powerful than fanboi phones, but it's no match for my Windows machines in terms of performance, tooling, or storage. That means that for now at least editing is a multi-step process, at least if you want to use the framing capabilities of 360. Roughly:

1. Back up each day's "take" by taking the micro SD card out of the camera and copying the contents to PC

Later...
  2. Restore takes a day at a time by connecting phone (not camera!) to PC and copying to transfer location.
  3. Delete old contents of Rylo directory, then copy from (on phone) transfer location to Rylo directory with Astro or similar.
  4. Restart Rylo App to see the day's videos.
  5. Edit videos, picking point of view and setting way points for it etc. The "follow this" doesn't work very well. Adjust zoom.
  6. Render videos, which go into the "Movies/Rylo" directory on the phone.
  7. Copy from directory (6) to transfer location on phone.
  8. Copy from transfer location back to PC.
  9. Import media into Davinci Resolve or similar
  10. Edit.
  11. Possibly go back and do it again, for secondary copies of one clip or to adjust the framing etc.

I tried using the GoPro and other 360 applications, but could not make them work with this footage. That doesn't mean it can't be done. Probably rendering Rylo content as a standard 360 video, then passing it to a third party app would work. I'd guess that will be the future route, with plugins for Premiere Pro and DaVinci probably supporting that.

I'm still working on multiple passes of 2 through 10.

Edited by philw
Tweaks

Great, so the process is pretty similar.   I have to take out two SD cards (Fusion has one for each camera lens) and copy the contents to my laptop.  I stitch the movies using their destop software (Fusion Studio), export 5K MP4 files.  The export takes a long time and takes a ton on CPU -- my laptop becomes basically unresponsive for hours.  Once that is done, I finish the montage in iMovie.  For my amateur needs that seems to work well enough, but it is quite a long process...

BTW, for me the follow-this software feature would have been the biggest selling point for Rylo over Fusion.   The way you can "pan" the view while it's following the subject looked very cool.  I'll try filming with a longer pole, too.

tom.

3 hours ago, tpalka said:

...the process is pretty similar ... 
BTW, for me the follow-this software feature would have been the biggest selling point for Rylo over Fusion.   The way you can "pan" the view while it's following the subject looked very cool.  I'll try filming with a longer pole, too....

The "follow me" button (in the Rylo app) is supposed to track whatever you point at. That bit doesn't really work, it easily "gets lost". In practice you just have to set the viewpoint every few frames so it can interpolate between them. It's manual not automatic, but it's still entirely possible. Watch this space for some amusing (well to me, anyway) examples, once I finish this edit...

@Pokkis I'd say you need wider, or a longer pole, as you aren't showing both the rider and the background. I'm still not a fan of those boards, but that's another thread 😉  I think the fishy look (in a lens, not a board) isn't great - the old GoPro cheated very well on that with "super wide". The lens correction in Davinci Resolve helps a bit, but it's a paid feature. You can zoom somewhat in the Rylo app, and if you're not right against the camera (short pole people and helmet mounters note) then you'll maybe not see it so much.

One other thing. Rylo renders out at 2160*1080 resolution, where you'd probably be wanting 1920x1080. I think the Rylo may be using the phone's aspect ratio.

Yeah I like the longer pole, except for carrying it around 😉

I just updated the video (at the top of the thread) with an actual edit, rather than a bit of footage from my 1st day using it. Which I didn't use in the edit.

Workflow as above.

Notes:

• The quality's way less than my 4K GoPro with ProTune. Give it a year ot two and I'll have a version capable of delivering 4K when cropped enough not to look fishy, but it's not here yet.
  • Editing on a mobile phone isn't great - the aspect ratio isn't correct and there's a reason people edit on decent PCs with large screens. That, plus lack of familiarity with the concept probably meant I made less use of it than I could have. Sure, every frame is stabilized (although that's not always precisely what you want), but the panning ability I didn't exactly milk. The sequence starting 0:43 has a rotation in it, which I like and which would be impossible with old technology. Most of the heli shots are panned a bit.  The tree sequence at the end 1:24 pans up & spins around for fun.
  • I did actually land the thing at 1:17, but I dipped the camera in the snow so everything went black until it came up again.
  • Like 1

I just used the case it comes with, which is similar to the GoPro "frame" case. I always felt the more "water proof" cases are over the top for my sort of usage.

I've never had any trouble with this kind of thing getting wet - if you get snow on them (and I did dip it in there quite a few times) then just wipe it off with a goggle cloth. It (probably they: I'm sure the other brands do the same) comes with a little hood for when you stow it, as it has lenses on both sides, so you can't just put it down on a table (say) without risk of scratches. I always wrap my cameras in a hotel towel when bringing them quickly in from cold to warm, to prevent condensation. 

No damage to this or anything else, so far. I'd probably worry if it was being rained on all the time, but mostly I'm in sub-zero in the snow...

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, fishrising said:

Terrible edit, but first try at the Insta360 one x

Hey Fishy, I thought pretty impressive there for 1st effort!  Really crisp image...

Makes me want to buy a 360 unit even more!

What Mtn. was that your at??

Edited by barryj