Note to New Members ×

Dupraz D1+ 5'5" setup?

Corey

I'm putting bindings on a new-to-me Dupraz. If I center the stance on the inserts, there is surprisingly little effective edge/sidecut in front of the front binding: 4" ahead the front toe, 9.5" behind the rear heel. 

Granted, there's a big volume of nose out there for powder, but I'm wondering if I should offset the stance rearward on the inserts so I don't go over the nose on firmer snow. 

What do you do on your D1+? 

My info: 20" stance, 45 F, 30 R, F2 bindings, UPZ hardboots. 

Center the stance on the inserts. That's how the boards is designed to be ridden. Keep your weight on both legs and do NOT load the nose while initiating the the turns.

I've had the 6++ with F2 Race Bindings and UPZ hardboots. Stable, fast, playfull - that thing carves like crazy on groomers.

//wolfgang

I totally agree with wulf, you should try to center the stance. I ride both my 5.5 x-light an 6+ that way and it working for me. Equal weight on both legs also help. I ride 22'' 30F and 0 or+5R on soft boots most of the times. If you have the chance try the D1 6+ it's the original shape, size and sidecut it's mind blowing.

Hope it help. Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

From my first runs on hardpack only, uhh, I hope this Dupraz is awesome in powder! It carves about 5% as well as any carving board I have. It'll do it, but it's not it's strength.

I wasn't expecting much, but was pretty surprised how much out of its element it felt on groom. I don't get some of the comments about it being an awesome carver. 

31 minutes ago, Corey said:

From my first runs on hardpack only, uhh, I hope this Dupraz is awesome in powder! It carves about 5% as well as any carving board I have. It'll do it, but it's not it's strength.

I wasn't expecting much, but was pretty surprised how much out of its element it felt on groom. I don't get some of the comments about it being an awesome carver. 

That was my impression of its groomer carving ability. Some people love it though. I wasn't that impressed with the Dupraz in powder either. Maybe they are lighter now, but I found it heavy and on the sluggish side. I have had a lot of powder boards. At the time I much preferred my 166 Prior Spearhead in powder. Interestingly, the 166 Spearhead and the 6' (178) Dupraz were quite similar in surface area. The Dupraz just had a longer (unnecessarily so) pointy nose.

1 hour ago, Buell said:

At the time I much preferred my 166 Prior Spearhead in powder. Interestingly, the 166 Spearhead and the 6' (178) Dupraz were quite similar in surface area.

I reckon geometry has a bigger impact on powder performance than surface area than most give credit for. The 21.5cm wide Donek Nomad 164 is by far the easiest floating board I've ever tried. As in I ride it centered, no extra weight on back foot, on the middle inserts and I've never seen the nose even close to dipping. Used it in waist deep at Nori Kura last season.

Not the best carver, but it isn't meant to be. 

Edited by daveo

9 hours ago, daveo said:

I reckon geometry has a bigger impact on powder performance than surface area than most give credit for. The 21.5cm wide Donek Nomad 164 is by far the easiest floating board I've ever tried. As in I ride it centered, no extra weight on back foot, on the middle inserts and I've never seen the nose even close to dipping. Used it in waist deep at Nori Kura last season.

Not the best carver, but it isn't meant to be. 

I have found that they are both important. Ideally they work together.

Too small of a board can have the perfect geometry and still not float (except at very high speed) and a large surface area board with too much camber and/or too stiff of a tail will still drive the nose under the powder.

7 minutes ago, Buell said:

Too small of a board can have the perfect geometry and still not float (except at very high speed) and a large surface area board with too much camber and/or too stiff of a tail will still drive the nose under the powder.

Interesting. I would say the Nomad has a stiff tail and has low surface area given that it is pretty narrow. I wonder what makes it float then. I would go as far to say it is unsinkable. Literally unsinkable. 

I remember Sean in an email said something like waist width doesn't affect how the board (Nomad) will seek the surface.

Edited by daveo

The Dupraz is great in powder and chop afterwards.

Tried it in a 45cm dump and nobody could even follow. Literally guy's were asking what I was riding. 

Not a carver. Even the slightest weight shift would get out of the carve.

Just use it after a big snowstorm. Great In trees also as it's pivoting quickly. 

2 minutes ago, daveo said:

I

Interesting. I would say the Nomad has a stiff tail and has low surface area giveth that it is pretty narrow. I wonder what makes it float then. I would go as far to say it is literally unsinkable.

I remember Sean in an email said something like waist width doesn't affect how the board (Nomad) will seek the surface.

Tons of taper lets the tail sink. 28 mm according to the stock specs.

I agree that waist width would not affect how the board seeks the surface, but for a given length with all other specs proportional, waist width (overall width) would certainly affect at what speeds the board would want to stay on the surface. Wider board = float at lower speeds.

When I ride resort powder, I am currently riding a 156 x 267 waist rockered board that has 10mm of taper. My resort is small and it works really well. It would not be my choice for bigger terrain.

@corey: My experience with a similar setup on a 6++ was different. Floats like a bee in powder and carves exceptionally well on hardpack even in the afternoon when the piste is a mess.

I was using a centered stance which is 58cm on a 6 and 54cm on a 5.5. Can't imagine that the shorter version is so much different as the basic design principles are the same.

Interesting that you come to a totally different conclusion on the board

Edited by wulf

2 minutes ago, wulf said:

Interesting that your come to a totally different conclusion on the board

Indeed, it's interesting how different riders just connect, or not, with different boards. 

Maybe this 5'5" D1+ is too small/soft for me at 5'11" and ~190 lbs? The lack of edge ahead of the front foot is a weird feeling, especially when getting off the lift. 

It was happy to skid and slave around. I think it'll be a blast in powder and chop. 

I ran TD3 Sidewinders with soft e-pads all around, plus TD2 lowers for less weight. I was plenty pleased how much lighter it was than my usual boards. Need to work on custom cant wedges before the F2s will work for me. 

I rode a 6’ D1++ for a couple of seasons about 10 years ago. I liked it a lot better carving on groomers than in powder, and hated it in trees. It was designed to be ridden in a neutral position at all times, with weight evenly distributed on both feet, no matter the conditions. And reference stance is set forward on the effective edge, as part of the concept. All this info used to be on their website, don’t know if it still is.

Edited by Mig

Dupraz states that the ++ versions are for alpine HB riders with plate bindings. I am 1,85m and 83kg and the ++ version was just right for carving. However don't think that the + version is a noodle.

I used to ride SL-ish boards around 1,60cm all my time, so it was just a matter of a few turns til I got used to the board and eliminated the ususal fore/after shifting. Worked for me.

Hi Corey

How do you like your coffee?

My first thought when I saw your original post without knowing anything about you (other than you are here) was that you need a 6'++ at least

It will feel like the shortest back 1/2 of a board you have ever ridden at first (as you may have already experienced) until you start floating

I wanted to pick up a Dupraz since Serge started that Company

When I finally had Internet in my world when I moved back to Winter full-time recently, I "discovered" I could order from Dupraz directly

Easy transaction, but you need to understand the business model which is quite unique (perhaps a topic itself)

Seb recommends to anyone that rides hardboots to go 6'++ (at least ++)

The Dupraz is a snow surfboard

Ride the board

Surf it

Float it

Forget everything you thought you ever knew about snowboarding on edge and re-frame

You just stepped through the portal

I would never take D1 out on a hard day (other than to test it's limits/design/performance/characteristics etc)

My first impression was that there was no board in front of my front foot

Very difficult to stand motionless and balance on edge on hard snow on steeper slope

Scary in lift line maze dished out frozen spring-time shite (antics)

I got some practice hopping on my heelside edge washing out on ice, feeling for that edge in front of my foot out there somewhere (it wasn't)...

Difficult to ride with front foot only on hard surface (edge)...

First impression on a shitty day with 8" on frozen shite?  Absolutely mind blowing...I wanted a 7'0"

++ no stiffer than my Supermodels, minimum requirement...

+ not much softer, just barely perceptible less "lively" and easier to over-power the nose

It's about the flex pattern/profile more than "stiffness"

Stiffness rating not overlapping a carve oriented board range (what do you think?)

D1 is not a stiff board even at ++

I have an X-Light which is supposed to be "stiffer" than ++, more "lively",  but that is not what riding this board is about really

Haven't had a chance to ride the 6'3" yet (which is 5" longer than the 6', a class wider and "stiffer") and imagine it will go anywhere I need it too, even the tightest trees...

Amazing maneuverability at any speed on soft snow

It's all about "The Float"

Lordmetroland picked up a 6'3" somewhere last year I believe after giving up on the wait due to the "problem"

in France

I waited more than a year...

On any sort of soft snow day my #1 go to board is D1, which is 97% of my riding

Bottomless is relative

Planing on water is not penetrating very deep and is less as speed increases

As long as you stay off the reef

I try not to bleed before I get in the water

As SoftbootSurfer often talks about The Wave...board choice for the spot is certainly a factor...

My home wave selection is perhaps better suited for the D1 on any given day than most places

My knees don't like the hard snow, I can barely walk in the summer, I am not planning knee replacements

I save myself for Epicness (or at least any day considered soft)

Some of those wind buff days are the most memorable when each run is better than the one before it

I don't like D1 in heavy thick skied out crud harbor chop

It doesn't bust through piles, it gets deflected over them

That's the float part

Anything soft and smooth, plan accordingly, aim wisely...

Can be awesome on un-skiable breakable crust or wind slab funk

Ride the Dupraz in it's own way

Take a different line than a full camber board and turn in new places in ways you have yet to imagine possible

Think Tom Curren mind-surfing

Forget about momentum and powering through stuff

I ride over a much wider range of speeds on D1 and have more fun per vertical foot, not just full-on max all the time due to board design/demands

Amazing at relatively slow speeds and crazy combos at random times anytime all the time

At your traditional max apex of the locked-in carve you can now throw in a tail slide or floater and go right back to that last point to continue your arc and G's, or a complete total change of trajectory into something else entirely that you have never even thought possible both ways.  Tweaky AND Fakey...

It doesn't build up energy really and launch you into the next turn (sort of), yet still has enough of a tail to work and pump

There is a fine line of over powering the nose or it will "collapse" or "buckle" (not damaging board)

I felt like I could initiate a turn at anytime as soon as I started to move on any pitch, as opposed to gaining momentum before I start powering out some big full camber turns

I can grab a tree branch standing still and spin a 360

My other boards I would need to jump a 180

I am not a jibber...or a bonker...

Ride the board

Feel it

Float it

Imagine standing on a surfboard (a short-board not a 10 foot nose-rider)

When you are surfing a short board the board in front of your front foot is not on the surface (base) or rail (edge) much

Imagine surfing between your feet and back foot power and engagement (you have fins)

The Bongo Board

Kelly Slater riding the foam ball (a sight unseen) then powering a cutback back to a floater re-entry bottom turn back into the barrel, back on the foam ball...

Repeat

The D1 can get you wherever you need to go to get to the goods and back

I would not take it to steep icy couloirs (or any other steep hard place) where I want full camber full edge contact as my life depends on it...

Why Buell prefers the Amplid Split for the Great Unknown (which I am considering, it just seems too short at 168)

I describe the D1 carve as more of a Pit Bull than a Greyhound (I couldn't stop laughing)

On a soft groomer it kills it in it's own way

It is a Happy board, not an Angryy board

Ride the board, not your expectations or preconceptions (or muscle memory and technique)

Free your mind

Gerry Lopez yoga in Pow at 100 MPH...

Zen Master in The Zone

Use shaper's stance center reference, no offset either way

I run PHKs on my Dupraz with CANT ON FRONT FOOT ONLY (comments anyone?)

Never had confidence in the Burton Race Plates not to break based on the historical progression experience, but want my feet closer to deck as much as I love my Cateks...

I think flex of F2 would be beneficial

Soften up your boots for the day if possible

I ride super soft AT boots in walk mode, about a 75 on the imaginary boot stiffness chart (zero heel hold slop at the moment)

I skied old school Langes 120/130 ( a size too small) when I had to ski and my feet are phuct

It feels like I can barely traverse on skis in my AT boots that I board in

I remove the cuff and power strap

I buckle one click tighter for carve board days

Warmth and comfort #1 priority for fun

Decades ago I read about parallel feet and have done so ever since (Beckmann have any input on parallel feet?)

Stance similar to you about 20"-21" just wider than my shoulders (5'10" 180lbs 9.5 shoe), longer boards force me wider...

Angle dictated by board width/zero overhang

Try a 6'++ if can...on the right wave...where you can find it...

For me D1 is da Shizzit

• Like 1

I had the first D1 model (only one flex and one color/red) and I rode it both in hardboots/AT boots and in softboots.

Mi setting was:

HARDBOOTS: Stance  49-50 cm (I am 175 cm); angles 25°/40°; old F2 carve rs bindings; no cant/lift (I ride always flat); setback 0/1 cm.

SOFTBOOTS: Stance 54-55 cm; angles -3°/+24°; Burton C60 bindings; Burton Ruler boots; setback 0/1 cm

The board is a bit wide and I preferred it in softboots.