Note to New Members ×

Getting back into the game - Hard Boot Package Advice/ Opinions

SHREDSURF

14 hours ago, SHREDSURF said:

I am pretty much sold on the Donek Voyager, it's now down to the bindings and boots. I've heard the F2's wont hold my 225 lbs.

If you're sold on the Donek for whatever reason, it might be worth considering asking Sean to give you plate inserts for the future. Titanal layers are nice and worth looking into, along with P-Tex topsheet.

The F2's will 100% hold your weight and more.

10 hours ago, barryj said:

If you got anything outside of a normal foot I'd go with the Deeluxe

Hmm, can't say I agree with this. Still 💜 you, though, Baz.

Edited by daveo
  • Thanks 1

Welcome back.  Some great advice in this thread.  This is a super reentry package that will stay with you for a long time.  So much better than trying to do it on the cheap with 20 year old stuff that belongs on a wall in a man-cave.  The difference is that you're setting yourself up for success, and if you decide it's not for you you'll be able to sell all this stuff easily.  (But that's not going to happen!) You might outgrow the board in a couple years if you really catch the fever, but the boots and bindings will last many.  Metal boards are easier to ride especially here in the east if you can budget it.  3 years ago I switched from Deeluxe T700s to UPZs and I would do it again - much better heel hold for me and many others here.

At your size and weight you should save yourself some time and shipping expense and get the stiffer silver tongues at the same time when you buy the boots.  They're not crazy stiff, I've moved on to the stiffest gray tongues, but the black ones are very soft.  I sensed imminent ankle injury when I tried them.  Swapped them out after one day.

Isolation plate can wait at least a full year.  Riding with one is a different game with the extra height, weight, and different performance.  They're expensive and not necessary for freecarving.  Perhaps I am just too set in my ways but I don't use one and I don't even own one at the moment although that may change this season.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack M said:

You might outgrow the board in a couple years if you really catch the fever, but the boots and bindings will last many.  Metal boards are easier to ride especially here in the east if you can budget it.

Mmmm yep, what he said.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2018 at 2:51 PM, Neil Gendzwill said:

The F2 race titanium or titanflex will absolutely hold your 225 lbs.   F2s are used in world cup racing, I think if they can take the strain there you should be ok.  The RS are the lighter model that some recommend against for stronger riders.

I really like the idea of stepping in...you know, as a old guy.

So I'm looking closer at the F2 intec's. Coupling the bindings with the board with Donek is a solid deal.

Thanks for the insight and advice!

Well, after lots of research and lots of advice and forum suggestions, the deal with Donek is 99% done!

I decided to stay with Donek and package everything through them. The potential savings of $350.00 overall was tough to pass up.

I went back to the Deeluxe line and chose the Track 700T, seemed as if it's going to be a better choice for my feet and riding style. I coupled them with the F2 Intec RS bindings based on advice from the older dudes on this forum, and step-ins, for me makes total sense. My current K2 Auto bindings have an automatic toe strap connected to the upper strap, so I only need to crank down 1 strap as opposed to 2...and it is a pleasure! 

Once Sean and I work out the final deal and apply the advertised discounts, I hope to have everything in my mitts by mid-January!

Thanks to all who took the time to hook me up with great suggestions and advice. It's been a long time out of the hard boot scene, it feels good to get back!!

Screenshot_20181223-055206_Chrome.jpg

Edited by SHREDSURF
  • Like 1

That looks like a great deal.  Now, walk before you run.  Go ride some nice greens and tweak your set- up.  Let your muscles remember what it feels like, and don't be discouraged if it doesn't happen as fast as you think it should.  Keep us posted with your progress!  Good luck.

43 minutes ago, daveo said:

Intec RS @ 225lb. Hmm.

Anyone else unsure of 

Sean at Donek assures me I will be fine in the F2's. 

Now I'm worried.

9 minutes ago, billyt. said:

That looks like a great deal.  Now, walk before you run.  Go ride some nice greens and tweak your set- up.  Let your muscles remember what it feels like, and don't be discouraged if it doesn't happen as fast as you think it should.  Keep us posted with your progress!  Good luck.

My angles on my current soft set up are fairly aggressive and my boots are as stiff as you can get, so I'm hoping the re-transition back into the alpine world will be pretty quick. We shall see! Thanks for the words of encouragement!

• Like 1

Awesome to see you diving back into carving! Great set up! 

Come on out to the Montucky Clear CUT session to have some wide open runs and no fear of getting run over from behind.  Cory will have some carving clinics to help get back in the game.  

Enjoy the new ride!

Awesome. While you wait, you can practice carving on your softboots. The test is if you can roll the board over and start carving the next turn before the board points downhill. In other words, carve the downhill edge. If you can do that back and forth, back and forth, the transition to hardboots will be easier. 

I would also plump for the metal F2s. 

26 minutes ago, dredman said:

Awesome to see you diving back into carving! Great set up! 

Come on out to the Montucky Clear CUT session to have some wide open runs and no fear of getting run over from behind.  Cory will have some carving clinics to help get back in the game.  

Enjoy the new ride!

I am absolutely looking into some sort of "Out West" riding with a group of similar minded riders!!

5 minutes ago, Jack M said:

Awesome. While you wait, you can practice carving on your softboots. The test is if you can roll the board over and start carving the next turn before the board points downhill. In other words, carve the downhill edge. If you can do that back and forth, back and forth, the transition to hardboots will be easier. 

I would also plump for the metal F2s. 

I've been "practicing on my soft boot set-up for the past 20+ years! 😉

Capture.JPG

Capture11.JPG

17 minutes ago, daveo said:

Titanflex is another option...

Upgrade option complete!

Screenshot_20181223-094318_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20181223-094318_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

I think you made the right choice going from the RS to the Titanflex. 👍 I've used my son's RS plenty of times without issue and if Sean says no worries I would value his opinion.  HOWEVER, I just prefer the metal baseplate over the plastic RS.  Just added piece of mind I guess.  I wish the CNC toe bails were readily available for the F2 then I would be set, otherwise I'm swapping out the plastic ones every 3 years.  Whether it's warranted or not, just piece of mind... 

31 minutes ago, Kneel said:

I think you made the right choice going from the RS to the Titanflex. 👍 I've used my son's RS plenty of times without issue and if Sean says no worries I would value his opinion.  HOWEVER, I just prefer the metal baseplate over the plastic RS.  Just added piece of mind I guess.  I wish the CNC toe bails were readily available for the F2 then I would be set, otherwise I'm swapping out the plastic ones every 3 years.  Whether it's warranted or not, just piece of mind... 

What usually breaks on F2's is not made of plastic. it's the insert nuts that hold the screws which connect toe/heel piece with base-plate. (Especially for Intec, with heel lift). Or the bails, of course, as with every snowboard binding.

5 minutes ago, nutmeg said:

What usually breaks on F2's is not made of plastic. it's the insert nuts that hold the screws which connect toe/heel piece with base-plate. (Especially for Intec, with heel lift). Or the bails, of course, as with every snowboard binding.

Interesting. From a racers experience, freeriding, or both?  I carry those t-nuts as spares and have never had to use them yet.  Like I said, I have nothing really to justify why, other than zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance...