Note to New Members ×

ABQ carving

pcABQ

i have moved from denver to albuquerque, and i want to get out some info on carving from ABQ.  6 months ago i would have had trouble locating ABQ ona map; now i iive here -- quite happily.

first item: ski sante fe.

has a nice, local feel.  no fast chairs.  excellent grooming and solid carving.

updates to follow.

• 3 weeks later...

more on ski sante fe, for any carver looking for info:

this is not a big area, so it's easy to figure out where to carve..  having said that, Gayway off the triple gets early morning sun, starts wide and then narrows half way down, and then widens again.  i think it is the best carving at the area.

also, the triple chair from the base has short but superb carving under the lift at the top.  good pitch, lots of cool terrain. 

cheers -

• 1 month later...

next stop: sandia.

30 minutes from ABQ, very local.  you can take the tram or drive up the back side.

base 8678 / peak 10,378. 

i've been skinning up it during the week, and i think with decent snow it would be fun carving.  i'm not willing to ask bruce at coiler to make me an alpine carving splitboard -- although i know he could -- but it's worth a look.  great local vibe.

On 1/8/2019 at 9:07 PM, pcABQ said:

more on ski sante fe, for any carver looking for info:

this is not a big area, so it's easy to figure out where to carve..  having said that, Gayway off the triple gets early morning sun, starts wide and then narrows half way down, and then widens again.  i think it is the best carving at the area.

also, the triple chair from the base has short but superb carving under the lift at the top.  good pitch, lots of cool terrain. 

cheers -

I am glad you are enjoying NM! At ski Santa Fe, open slope and Broadway was one of my fav place to carve. I also love Gayway as it has awesome view. 

carved tuesday with Breaking Brad at Ski Sante Fe . . .  we took your suggestion and Muerte is now

my favorite carving run at SSF: good pitch and width, cool slightly off fall line . . .  terrific.  thanks.

so, for all you carvers coming to new mexico, gayway is a great warmup off the triple, and

muerte and under the quad are high quality.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been told by many that Taos isn't good for carving.

this is not true. 

Taos has excellent carving: long runs, interesting terrain, lots of room to carve.

the longer version:  i parked my orange coiler right next to the base lodge door at 8:30, and began talking inside with a snowboard instructor -- George -- who also carves.  he saw the board.  he offered to take me on a run before his class started, so at 9AM george and i headed up the lift and did a superb run top to bottom.  he was making quality, carved turns on an arbor, leading the way on well groomed empty runs.  thanks george.

i carved the next three hours, a bit tired after riding powder there most of the day yesterday (soft boot set up).

here's your very simple bottom line:  Taos is a tremendous mountain: steeps, bumps, trees, views, and carving.

• 1 month later...

End of seaons observations:

a terrific year, both at ski sante fe and Taos.

next year i hope for more of the same.

if anyone plans to come down for some carving, snowboarding, or skiing, please contact me.

cheers -

season

• 9 months later...

February, 2020, year 2 in Albuquerque.

second season, and now i have a gang to ride with.  the folks are mostly on skis, good riders. fun folks, super inclusive. great vibe.

i'm riding mostly ski sante fe and sandia peak.  quality grooming, excellent carving at ssf and very good carving at sandia peak, just not as steep.

will get in a few days at taos of course, just not yet.

anyone coming down to carve just let me know.  i'm carving. you will not believe how good it is.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

December, 2020

The new season has begun.  We need some snow, but Ski Sante Fe has good groomers for carving.  It's not open to the top yet, but they've done a good job with what they have.  Right now they have about half as much snow as this time last year.

• 2 months later...

2020 - 2021 update

118" at ski sante fe, so it is in fine shape for carving.  they haven't groomed muerte this season, but they have groomed parachute: fairly steep, fairly narrow, a really terrific line.

rode taos last thursday, mainly off lift 8 next to the west ridge: quality groom, snow just fine, no crowds.  taos is excellent carving, period.

bottom line:  another excellent season, despite the pandemic, despite a bit lower snow numbers.

• Like 1