Note to New Members ×

What have i bought? Elan Ballistic GS 184

Calle

7 minutes ago, guido591 said:

You’ve purchased a really nice snowboard!

Elan, a Slovenian company, got into the high end race board game with the idea that Zan Kosir and Jure Hafner (both Slovenians) would leave Oxess and ride Elan.  Hafner did, but Kosir backed out and returned to Oxess.

Elan decided to opt out of manufacturing snowboards following this turn of events.

The remainder of the boards are available at discounted rates.  I am very happy with the 164 sl I picked up last season.

5 hours ago, Calle said:

Any chance of more inserts hiding under the topsheet? The raceboars was obviously using allflex and also had a 5x2 insert pack on the pictures i have found. And then there's the "non race" which have 6x2 inserts?

There's a chance, right? Maybe you have a friend that works in a hospital and has access to an Xray machine, or maybe your airport security is friendlier than in the US and will put it through the baggage scanner for you? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 8:49 AM, Calle said:

Any chance of more inserts hiding under the topsheet? The raceboars was obviously using allflex and also had a 5x2 insert pack on the pictures i have found. And then there's the "non race" which have 6x2 inserts?

Tapping the surface of the board (as in tap like a drum) with a metal object for example a large nail screwdriver tip etc) in the area you suspect might have an insert will produce a different sound than solid board material . Lay out a small grid and tap away. 

I had a conversation with Ivan from i-carve.com about these boards. Apparently, they are intended as a lower cost alternative to SG and Kessler raceboards, with similar design and materials. Ivan came back very impressed after a few days of testing in the French Alps, and recommended the boards highly.

• 2 weeks later...

So board arrived, a little narrow waist for my taste, 196 mm or something. Looks like 0,5 mm titanal. No more inserts, just regular ones (the magnet trick doesn't work on any of my boards...) So looks like it's the older version (2016?) and the never ones got allflex inserts. Looks like a bargain. 🙂

Edited by Calle