Note to New Members ×

Instruction in [Southern-ish] New England?

fishrising

So...I've hit a plateau in my hardboot riding.  Been on that plateau for a while (years) now, and I really want to take my riding up a notch.  Haven't really improved since the last ECES (2014?).  Maybe its because I don't ride enough in my hardboots anymore, or maybe because I don't ride enough with other hardbooters anymore, or maybe its all simply in my head.  Or maybe its because I've been spending more time on skis chasing my kids, or riding softboots with my softboot friends.  But I want to make an effort this year to ride more in my hardboots, and focus on getting better while in my hardboots.  Who in New England can provide some one on one instruction to hopefully help me?  I ride mostly in Southern Vermont and Connecticut.  Guess I'd say I am maybe, just maybe, an intermediate rider in hardboots (advanced in softboots), trying to get to advanced intermediate or better in hardboots.  Willing to pay resort private lesson prices if need be...but enjoy sharing beer much better...

Edited by fishrising

27 minutes ago, fishrising said:

Maybe its because I don't ride enough in my hardboots anymore, or maybe because I don't ride enough with other hardbooters anymore, or maybe its all simply in my head.  Or maybe its because I've been spending more time on skis chasing my kids, or riding softboots with my softboot friends.

Well maybe, maybe not. But definitely maybe.

Small budget: Local help is awesome! 

Bigger budget: The hub for carving in North America is going to be the Montana event: http://forums.alpinesnowboarder.com/forum/79-montucky-clear-cut-2019/ 

I attended my first carving event in Aspen as a solid beginner/early intermediate.  I was expecting to be a loner, trying to stay out of the way of the 'big boys'.  I couldn't have been more wrong!  I was welcomed with open arms, enjoyed a few clinics, and made a ton of new friends.  While it was humbling being around so many exceptional riders, most of them were very encouraging and helpful.  Yeah, a small percent were busy being heroes in their own mind, but those folks can do their own thing while the rest of us have fun.  What I didn't pick up from the forum posts beforehand is how many people there were also intermediates.   It truly took my riding to the next level and gave me clear goals to work towards.  

If (ok, when) I was stopped and sucking wind on the side of a run, someone would stop and ask if I needed anything.  It's going to be even better with us renting the whole mountain!  

• Like 1

In order for any meaningful improvement to occur, you need push yourself just past where you are comfortable. Once that becomes the new comfortable, push a little further.  Simple. 👍  Living and riding where we do, trying to shoehorn days in whenever you can, compounded by work and kids schedules, it's dam'n near impossible. Now throw in sub par conditions where it's more like dodge-ball than riding and you have a surefire recipe for mediocrity. It's impossible to focus on technique in those conditions unless you live on a mountain and can do it several times a week.  I'm floored by how much I've improved, and I suck by most standards,  by taking short quiet weekday sessions at local hills where I can actually focus on technique rather than the transfer of potential to kinetic energy of hundreds of skiers and riders of which I'm at the epicenter. 😳   

I live in NJ, but my boys are at AOF so I've worn a path in I84.  Mt. Southington is EMPTY at 10am on weekdays. 👍

Also, consider the MCC.  We need more east coast dudes...

• Like 2

13 hours ago, fishrising said:

or riding softboots with my softboot friends. But I want to make an effort this year to ride more in my hardboots, and focus on getting better while in my hardboots. 

Right there! The first sentence is the problem. The second one is the solution. Simply, ride the hardboots with your softboot friends. It might require the gear and technique tweak, but it's going to be precious. 

A few years ago now I got some good hints from another rider on this forum. They were clearly a better rider than I was then.

Fast forward till last winter here in NZ. In between, as well as free riding, I've spent some time in deliberate practice, by myself, on Green/beginners runs focusing on technique for  clean carved turns. A couple of clinics at SES have provided progress jumps and Aha! moments, but to my mind deliberate practice has been essential for me. Over the time my early tutor and I have got to ride together. My tutor is stuck in their style, having been taught a way of doing it which isn't working for them. They have noted my progress, but seem unwilling to change.

And that's my point. If you want to progress you have to be prepared to change. As @Kneel said above, you have to get out of your comfort zone. You have to be prepared to try something different. I described some progress I made last winter in a thread "Old dog learns new tricks from an old board". Go back to some of the drills in the Tech articles here on ASB. Look out for the Intermediate and Steeps Clinic videos from SES on YouTube. Absolutely spend time with better riders. But be ready to change.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Cool bean!  Let's get the conversation started.

What's the consensus on "best mountain" to carve and when?
Most of us have this jobs things M-F.
Berkshire East got some nice trials; doesn't get super crowded on weekend.  Got a few dedicated carvers.
Belleayre/Windham/Hunter/Creek -- IMHO weekday only
PA ski areas?

• Like 2

I'm at the Creek M, W and most F mornings before I head to work.  I can barely tolerate riding past 10:30 when people start to show, but at that point I have a dozen runs in and ready to go to work.  From 9-10 I have the place practically to myself. Conditions are surprisingly "acceptable" and should vastly improve as they'll be at 100% after this weekend.  I haven't ridden in PA or NY in 15+ years. 😐  The LEAST crowded is STILL gonna be crowded so I'll go wherever. Weekends can be a challenge with family stuff, but it's very easy for me to call an audible.  It's also easier to  ride smaller places when you have a crew blocking for you. 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You should check out the Rally at Bershire East Feb 23-24. Riding with other hardbooters is what helps me out. I've only been Riding alpine for about 6 years (missed a season with be busted ankle) and only have about 4 days with other hardbooters.  Those 4 days made a big difference in my riding style and greatly helped me build my knowledge. 

• Like 2