Note to New Members ×

Ready to Install Boilerplate V2 - Need Direction!

barryj

Hi @daveo I'll search out the link to the post/thread where this was discussed. 

Doing this is absolutely not recommended for boards with Titanal construction. 

My memory is that when a board is constructed the holes for the inserts are already made in the Titanal before layup  and are a little wider than the inserts themselves.
Drilling holes in the Titanal layer and then placing inserts snug up against the Titanal creates pressure points, extra weak spots and the risk of core failure.

Edit: All my additional inserts have gone into glass construction, non-Titanal boards. 
I had Bruce Varsava put an extra set of UPM inserts into an NSR 180 for me in 2012 as part of the original board construction. I utilised those in a plate that had hinges at the ends, rather than underneath, and achieved a 72cm interaxle distance with about a 21mm stack height. Unfortunately the board core failed in use at the front outermost UPM insert on my heelside. Unclear if due to crash damage or just to the plate allowing me to ride rough snow too well. It was a rocketship while it lasted, incredibly stable at 70km/hr plus speeds. 

Edited by SunSurfer
Add requested links and further detail

Well it was a Big successful 1st day on the Plate :biggthump

Have to agree with DaveO,  Really enjoyed the "combination of the ride like a Cadillac but handling of a Ferrari"......I could really tell the ride with the Plate  took out all the jarring and shock in today's frozen granular groom...and boy are my knees so thankful!.....  I even got in an additional 2 hours of riding  that I am positive was only possible because of the Plate!     

My positioning was really comfortable  right out of the gate (Thanks Guys!) but my stance felt a little tight so I made a mid day adjustment of sliding the front binding forward one slot and that amped up the performance nicely.  Still not at  the "sweet Spot".....but getting closer!

No troubles skating or on or off the lift but did see how the additional height with the Plate makes getting back up after a spill more difficult on non steep terrain.

I felt the board get ahead of me just a couple of times but was easily able to bleed off the speed...but could sense the possibility and serious outcome of getting launched if you have a lapse in concentration with this rocket!!

Thanks for everybody's help in getting my BP V2 up and running!

Already looking forward to day 2 on the Plate!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, barryj said:

......I could really tell the ride with the Plate  took out all the jarring and shock in today's frozen granular groom...and boy are my knees so thankful!.....  I even got in an additional 2 hours of riding  that I am positive was only possible because of the Plate!     

Interesting observation!

Carved it up today in 2 to 6 inches of unpredicted  pow!  It was snow flurries until noon and then the sun broke thru!  

I had a great morning on the Swoard Dual 168  carving thru the tracked out runs scoping conditions to find the best carving runs and then switched to the Kessler around noon.

On the Kessler I moved the front binding forward again another slot in the BP center disk....Wow!  was that another upgrade in performance!! :biggthump

Now my stance is 20.25 on the TD3 SW SI's running 65/60 with BP 3/6 cant discs.     I tell ya it's like getting a fresh set of legs when switching to the Kessler/BP!  Definitely extends my riding day!    Really Pleased With The BP Ride and The Performance!!!

These photos shot today and quite the difference in conditions.  One of these days I'll get some live footage for you guys to scrutinize.....

4.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by barryj
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, daveo said:

now this is a right proper carving set up! Fellas take note!

Yeah..it sure looks serious ...and FAST!

3 hours ago, daveo said:

How are the liners BTW?

The new liners are in the 425's waiting for me and my legs to be season primed and not in rookie mode!     I hit Day 12 or 13 today...so I think I'm about 60% on my game.  Probably won't get them out until after the New Years...

Additionally the 425's  have a different footprint than the Track 700's and won't fit into my current bindings without adjustment...which means I will have to dedicate a board/bindings to that boot!  Ugh! . :smashfrea ....but not surprised.   Right now my 700's will step right into my Swoard,  Alloy or Kessler

3 hours ago, daveo said:

Can I ask your experience with switching inserts around on the BP? What happened when you widened the plate mounts? 

Switching stance/insets on the BP is just like a standard TD3   Just  the 4 screws that hold the binding and center disk to the lower assembly......the BP center disk is just a thinner/lighter TD3 version.... It's O piece o cake!  :1luvu: 

http://bomberonline.3dcartstores.com/TD3-2nd-Board-Kit-BP-Version-_p_235.html

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, barryj said:

Switching stance/insets on the BP is just like a standard TD3   Just  the 4 screws that hold the binding and center disk to the lower assembly......the BP center disk is just a thinner/lighter TD3 version.... It's O piece o cake!  :1luvu:

Wooops sorry my bad, I meant in terms of the ride of the board 😄