Note to New Members ×

Powder surfing

Corran

On ‎12‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 4:44 PM, Corran said:

bingo 😉

That's still a concave outline - of which there are 4 million 900 thousand and 62 varieties out there 😉

wow, that is a really specific number, where did you ever find the time to count all of them?😜

1 hour ago, b0ardski said:

if it has 3 fins but with inward sidecut, can I still call it a snowsurf? or is it just #2245 out of 4,900,000,062?

it is schite on the hardpack w/out metal edges

4205532115_a2c7db4232.jpg

concave sidecut? that's yesteryear tech mate.

Edited by daveo

On the right day, this board would work great. It sure looks great.

The right day would proabably be lower angle blower. Next would be blower on any terrain, but you'd want really deep blower.

Wide waisted boards do one thing really well and that's plane early. If it's flat-ish, that's an excellent trait. If the terrain is steeper, early planing can be good, but only if you really know what you're doing and are ok with hauling ass anytime you're not actively trying to tail brake or pivot. Easier pivoting is, too, one of the wide waisted boards advantages. Specifically, having the board want to rise on to the top of snow has many who aren't "whip hands" losing contact between the deck and the front foot. That's where being good comes into play... If you're up for the speed, you'd move forward and accept your fate. If you move back when the board planes, it's over.

The above is why most should choose tapered boards for their go-to "pow-surfer", or "NoBoard", The nose wants to rise and the tail prefers to sink. This attitude forces the deck to the front foot. Combining this taper with a chopped tail aids in tail braking, making this shape even more effective.

This particular take on snow sliding is a lot like windsurfing; You show up at the beach with 3 boards and half a dozen sails rigged. If you're hot lapping with your sleigh, this is ideal. Leave your boards at the bottom and take the one most suited for the run you'll ride next. In a cat, or aeroplockter, you usually have one choice to make, in the morning, before you leave the lodge. In this situation, if you want to ride bindingless, you'd better make the right choice, or you'll be the worst "that guy" imaginable.

I've been lucky to have had hundreds of hours out of the binders. On a sleigh, you do what you want. On the cat, maybe they let you take two boards. Heli? You get one. That one must always have at least two things: A way to hold the board to your feet, and at least one metal edge. As a third thing, I'd suggest a more standard side cut. Why? It all comes down to your ability to side slip and traverse hard pack, handling situations where you're recycling the same run a few times. Often, you'll roll off the same LZ, down a single track, side hill traverse which has been skied already. Adding to this, you might have to sideslip into a chute or over a cornice. If you have no means of holding the board to your feet, you're done. If the board has a wide waist, it won't agree with edging on hard snow.

While the NoBoard style rope takes a lot of shit in the "pow-surf" world, I'd never fly without it. Putting on bindings anytime you need to pull off something "sporty" isn't nearly fast enough to stay with the group. Otherwise, drop it at your feet and surf le powe.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Rob Stevens said:

Hey Rob

All good stuff that and by and large we are in agreement. I see "no board" or Yukiita riding as something much lower key - hiking up little trails on the side of highways and possibly dropping some bowls or treelines from a sled. Beyond that, unless you're guaranteed fresh powder everywhere you go, in easy terrain, and for the most part are riding with other people who are bindingless, I agree that it is not the ideal "first choice" for all the sound reasons you've given.

These are in fact things I addressed specifically with this shape exactly for the reasons of what you say. It has steel edges end to end. It has binding inserts. It has a tapered tail, even if it's always convex in shape. With bindings and edges, you can slide down cornices, run through some chopped up snow, and even move along a cat track. You're not carving up hard pack like a ginsu, but you can do it and get where you need to go. Bindings give you the option of making hop turns in tight chutes, recovering from errors, pulling the nose up when needed and so much more. To me, for a shape like this to be practical beyond those "one off days" you get 3x a year, it has to be versatile, and that boils down to edges and bindings for the most part.

So with traditional edges and bindings, you can now take this as your only board on a heli day (assuming that the majority of the day is fresh soft powder - if its not, take a sidecut board!), or any kind of "mostly powder" day.

This will never be your stock go-to board. No way. But I will take this board to resorts after a big dump and ride the first hour or two in powder, still be able to ride trails back to the lift (without much style mind you as they just feel funny on hard pack), and repeat until it starts to get tracked out. Then I'm grabbing a more traditional surf style snowboard for the rest of the day!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mig said:

He gave a bit more info on his design in this vid, talking about the differences with traditional snowboards, with the T-rice reverse sidecut Lib Tech board, etc...

My thoughts exactly. This is exactly what I've found and I agree 100% with his technical assessment. He's described to a T what I'm doing and why. I like his shape. I've given mine a little more surf nose so it'll ride up and out of the snow on edge, and I have a little more radius to the sidecut, but the concepts are the same.

• 4 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, neanderthal said:

Anyone ever ride one of these Fawcett boards?

looks like some sweet riding

I cant find anything about the company and his facebook is not current but it looks as if he is still at it on a similar setup as recently as 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_GoWaa_wgoQ

Not similar. That board has regular sidecut and seems to fit more in the short and fat trend going on for the last couple of years. Here is his latest ride which looks like similar shape but streched to a 162:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsMNh9oHgYo/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1tqzijnuje52q

Edited by Mig

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 6:01 PM, Poloturbo said:

Reverse sidecut is a Furberg thing for years

What Furberg refers to as reverse sidecut is not the same thing as what Lib Tech, Venture, Fawcett or Corran are/were doing. Furberg boards have a large radius sidecut in the center (although they have been tightning it every year since they started). It is larger than most freeride boards, but still "regular" sidecut. Their "reverse sidecut" is located at the contact points, and is just an elongated blend zone from the actual sidecut end into the nose and tail.

Edited by Mig
  • Thanks 2

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:26 PM, Corran said:

Hey Rob

All good stuff that and by and large we are in agreement. I see "no board" or Yukiita riding as something much lower key - hiking up little trails on the side of highways and possibly dropping some bowls or treelines from a sled. Beyond that, unless you're guaranteed fresh powder everywhere you go, in easy terrain, and for the most part are riding with other people who are bindingless, I agree that it is not the ideal "first choice" for all the sound reasons you've given.

Pow surf is pretty full on these days.

Have a look on Snowboarder Magazine's webber for Ashley Call's latest edits. These were just done in BC, in the same place I have my cabin and sleigh. He steps to a few of these lines in a way you'd probably best identify with being in binders. His weapon of choice is Tim Wesley's "Shark". Incidentally, this is the same brand Mark Fawcett is on now, as he's just started to get into the game. His own line of boards arent made anymore.

For me, noboarding is my first choice on a powder day. I just manage the variables well, with the biggest one being crappy snow, and that's where the rope comes in to play.

• Like 1