Note to New Members ×

Vote for Ester - World Sport Star of the Year

patmoore

I voted for Ester! Where's my "I voted" sticker? 

9 minutes ago, workshop7 said:

This may be disrespectful to some but, how is there a golfer among these other athletes?!

LOL, I had the same thought. 

47 minutes ago, workshop7 said:

This may be disrespectful to some but, how is there a golfer among these other athletes?!

Do you have the technique and strength to drive a golf ball accurately for 300+ metres?

How do you think Tiger W did so much damage to his lower back. It almost certainly wasn't his extramarital activities.

Pro golf requires athleticism, as in strong, precise, and rapid movement.

8 hours ago, Jack M said:

There is no denying that what Ledecka did is uniquely extraordinary and not outdone by any of the other nominees.  If Molinari had won a Formula 1 race or a Tennis major during the year, that would compare.

Comparing Olympic snowboard racing to Olympic ski racing is comparing one variety of orange to another.

Comparing top level golf to F1 or the equivalent grade of tennis is comparing apples to bananas.

FrankNBeans wasn't far off. Darts anyone? Has a fiercely contested World championship (spectators threw beer over one of the contestants at the most recent champs) and is played widely by non-Americans. However, many more people play darts than ride Alpine snowboards.

4 hours ago, Jack M said:

I couldn’t think of another game sport that’s analogous to golf.  

https://www.seattlepi.com/news/article/Extreme-croquet-In-this-game-there-s-no-such-1174772.php

4 hours ago, Jack M said:

And actually it's quite common for golfers to also be tennis players and vice versa.  Eye-hand coordination.

No doubt, however: Golf is respectably 'static', whereas tennis is by nature dynamic, and also a bit more improvisational with respect to physicality and time.

Edited by Beckmann AG
comma chameleon

Frank Connor managed to play in the US Open in both Golf and Tennis.  Ivan Lendl tried to do both but came up short.

It's cool that an Italian won the Open Championship and his Ryder Cup record was sensational but Ester was the sports story of the year.

Edited by patmoore
  • Like 1

A few cross over sports people over the years. Off the top of my head:

Michael Jordan did baseball and basketball, wasn't he handy at golf, also?

Carl Lewis got drafted to the bulls same year Jordan did.

Can't remember the name, but there was a (world?) champion, who won in both Table Tennis and Tennis.

I think what Ester did is more similar to what race car drivers do and drive at top levels over multiple disciplines (not just circuit racing in diff cars)- e.g. Fernando Alonso- 24 Heures du Mans, Formula 1, Indy 500. Kimi Raikkonen- F1, WRC, Oval racing. JPM is in there for F1, Indy, Champ and a few other types.

Most of the multi sport personalities, mentioned above, don't come close to Ester, because they pretty much sucked in their othet sport (compared to the one where they achieved fame). 

The closest I can think of is Ben Ainsley in sailing, winning Olympic golds multiple times in Finn, Laser and winning the America's Cup with team Oracle. However, he never did 2 within the same year. There also were few athletes who won at Winter and Summer Olympics, within 2 years gap. Still, no one within the same Olympics in two very different sports... 

Daveo, I'm very much into tennis, but I dont know the pingpong / tennis champ. If you eventually remembered, I'd be very interested to hear... 

Maybe Jim Thorpe, probably the most versatile athlete of all times? 

Edited by BlueB

32 minutes ago, BlueB said:

Most of the multi sport personalities, mentioned above, don't come close to Ester, because they pretty much sucked in their othet sport (compared to the one where they achieved fame).

Yep but I also think the relative level say Jordan and Carl Lewis competed at was astronomically higher than Ester at her main discipline. They were God-like untouchables for over a decade. Even if Jordan was the best baseball player for a year, it would probably still seem like he relatively sucked haha!

There also were few athletes who won at Winter and Summer Olympics, within 2 years gap. Still, no one within the same Olympics in two very different sports...

Yep but probably the main component is a primary carry over in these sports. Sprinting->toboggan/luge/skeleton/bobsl.

Daveo, I'm very much into tennis, but I dont know the pingpong / tennis champ. If you eventually remembered, I'd be very interested to hear...

Yep, I tried finding it last night but keywords were overlapping and at 5am I couldn't think of how to find it. I'll find it tonight, though.

12 hours ago, BlueB said:

Hey Boris, here you go, mate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Perry

5 hours ago, Puhutes said:

How could the golfer win... seriously!?! 🙄

Seems like more people like golf than snowsports 😞

• Sad 1