Note to New Members ×

Paoli Peaks 2018/2019

lonbordin

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, bobble said:

geezus… is that typical?

No... Paoli has been opened by Xmas for most of the last decade. They've opened and closed and opened before January typically.  They missed the holiday crowds and new year's... It's going to be a rough fiscal season.

We're one of those locales that's on the edge of climate change... The future doesn't look bright.

Paoli opened yesterday. They said the base was 10-14".... That's being generous. Took 35 minutes to get our seasons passes due to issues with their systems.

I shouldn't have gone... Wasn't feeling so well now I've got a full blown cold, sigh.

Wasn't worth it and started to rain as we were leaving.

• 2 weeks later...

Health... F*ck I'm so happy being healthy again (had pneumonia in left lung). 

First day back on the hill in 13 days... Felt like a lifetime.

It was quiet at open. The groom was poor.  We've had rain last week then mixed precipitation last night. The hill was FIRM. Little death cookies everywhere. Crunchy. Hills are still green far as the eye can see. I don't think we're going to have a long season this year.

They had some issues getting the triple going but eventually it was running.

Flurries and overcast -2c.

I had a blast boarding with my son. :biggthump

Played around with a Pureboarding setup just for fun. 50f/30r very surfy.  Ended up 50/40... More carve oriented but still had the ability to throw that pseudo off-the-top.

Can't wait for next time.

Edited by lonbordin
Maybe tomorrow!

Back at the Peaks today. Thank you Polar Vortex!  (Did you know the leading theory is that the melting ice has lead to an increase in temperature which lead to a bump in the atmosphere disturbing the vortex and forcing it south.)

Paoli made a foot and a half of snow... So much snow they haven't been able to groom it all yet.

y3lrPGl.jpg

Fenced area to the left and fenced area to the upper right waiting to be groomed.

Still I had a blast.

Mindbender was great and that new, to me, Coiler 164 VSR was perfect for the narrow trail.

I think I'll go back tomorrow.

Edited by lonbordin
pictures are good.

Back again... open until 11:40... kid had to get back for an appointment.

Mindbender was still the best groom.  Several of the Mt. Ops were trying to goad me into the SBX race they were having today... it wasn't going to start until 12:30 so I didn't.

Met a guy from southern Illinois with a custom Donek Pheonix (Black matt finish... looked minty) who knew Sean didn't get his name we had to go.  Other than @Carve234's FC back 14 years ago and my Doneks that's the only other Donek I've ever seen on the hill.  Kudos to Sean his reach is growing!

Great snow conditions for Paoli today!  Continued on the 164 VSR... that thing is fun... a little small for me... but still a whole lotta fun.

Edited by lonbordin

Back at the Peaks... Conditions varied from yellow glare ice to 5 " deep soft new snow.  The variation occurred every ten yards or so. 

Truly a trying day... tested my positivity most of all. Powerline was run of the day.

I'm going back tomorrow... Hopefully they blow some more snow tonight.

They didn't blow but the groom was so much better.  Snowing at 0900 open, then graupel, then small ice crystals, then large, then snow, then ice again finally rain around 12:30.

Pretty fun day. Smaller crowds for a Sunday.

Messed around with stance angles on the new board... 'cause why not. 

The park was the best run.

Big rain in the forecast and the white river was as big as I've ever seen it on the way home. There's going to be some major flooding in a Southern Indiana.

Not gonna let those Turner turkeys rub it in... no way... back to the Peaks!  (Why is it peakS? There's not even one peak much less multiple peaks!)

The white ribbons of DEATH are back! (How did it get this late... this early???!!!)

A8vnSzO.jpg

Almost had a calamity on my 4th run... misjudged the distance and almost carved into the grass... looked like I saved it by ~4" from the lift. Whew!

Conditions tonight were inches of coarse sugar over yellow glare ice.  Perfect! 👌

I'm not sure how much of a season we'll have left... 😭

Still I had a blast tonight on that lil' Coiler.  Loving that tight VSR with these narrow runs.

Edited by lonbordin
The contrast between the Feb 1 photo tho... sigh...
  • Haha 1

Back to Paoli for Valentines Day...

tC04tcg.jpg

Paoil was 57F yesterday with strong south winds.  This scenario actually causes a hill to lose more snow than a cool rain.  The hill was in rough shape last night and the snow kept getting softer the whole time I was there. When I left around 2100 the temp was 54F.  You really have to pay attention to the colors of the snow in these conditions... grey is one color to really watch for as that's the last layer of water/ice before exposed ground... not good.  Unfortunately that was widespread including dirt coming through.  Might have been one of the sketchiest days I've ever seen at the Peaks since I've been riding there...  there were very few people on the hill... the Pro shop was closed which I can't remember ever seeing before when the lifts are spinning.

Tonight will make or break the rest of the season.  Paoli can either get rain or up to 4" of snow... the freezing line keeps moving north every forecast cycle.  They NEED Presidents Day weekend.  IF they don't get it it might be the lowest amount of visits for a season ever.  

I did have fun though.  Grabers was actually groomed flat across the top. Which is HIGHLY unusual but is very welcome as it's their steepest run... I just had to compete with Ski Patrol training.  

I think I'll stay away tonight and see what the weekend has to offer.

The rains went south and the Peaks got a couple of inches from ma' nature.  They also blew a little (heavy dusting) this morning.  The groom was decent.  The areas of blown snow under the guns came after the grooming and were grabby and slow... Pretty day though.  Left around 1300 when the crowds were swelling.

btTEyXB.jpg

The horse and buggy is a common thing down there....

CyyzJug.jpg

Were supposed to have an ice event tomorrow morning but I'll still go.  The just scheduled the end of year carnival for next Saturday the 23rd.  Looks like my local season is almost over. 🤬 

Edited by lonbordin

They must have turned the grinder on the sweep to 11 last night. DEEP sugar over yellow glare.  Seriously over 8"+ in places.

Not much carving possible... Some granular "powder" runs possible down the sides of certain runs. Still got to board with my son always a plus.

Going back tomorrow... Temps should fall below freezing for an extended period tonight.

Big rains predicted next week... Tomorrow might be the last day.

Edited by lonbordin
Autocorrect why... Just why...

Paoli 0900-1200

Snowed 3-4" on the slope.

Temps 29F at open 

This is weirdest weather season...

Had a blast with my son. 

Torrential rains forecast from Tuesday through Thursday. Let's hope the models are as wrong as they were today.

AFdAxPI.jpg

Edited by lonbordin
Only accumulated on the runs ground was too warm.

Yesterday the snow at Paoli was great... almost as good as a ok day at your favorite Western resort. They actually made some snow yesterday.  Was there 1800-2100... I made some first tracks on a run??? Just not many people as the weather reports had been doom and gloom.  Luckily they only got a trace amounts of mixed through the night.  Their opening is delayed today as the it was forecast to be raining... it's not.  The bulk of the weather system missed Paoli by 30 miles...

Had a blast and really liked the little change I've made to my rear boot.

They've got snowbanks built up on the main runs so it looks like they could hold on for a while.  While the carnival is scheduled for Saturday the forecast is 100% chance of thunderstorms and 1.5+" of rain. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Edited by lonbordin
only day 14 @PP... 28th day of the season.

Went during the daylight today... snow was nice... soft but not slush. Held an edge pretty well... pretty fast too.  Had a blast.

POBn6Sb.jpg

If the predictions are correct it might have been my last day locally.  I did talk to the mt. ops... there's a cold wave coming late next week... they may try to blow!  That would be something really different... and welcome! (blowing in the late season)

Edited by lonbordin
ribbons... ribbons everywhere.

I went again this afternoon.  Tested the Dupraz vs. the Grocer in bottomless slush.  The Grocer wins by TKO... not even close... like Tyson in his prime.  So I'll be taking the Grocer out west for the hope of sweet pow.

They had Rossi and Head ski demos... the Rossi guy had boards in his vehicle but he wasn't willing to let me put the F2 CarveRS plates on any of them to demo.  😮 Bummer.

There was a carving skier down from Chicago doing demos... no poles... close to hip dragging in crappy conditions... really fun to watch... we rode together for a while.

Ah well the rains are a comin''.  I did hear (from the GM) that they will blow when able in Feburary so maybe the season isn't over after all as we have a few cold days in the nearterm forecast.