Note to New Members ×

Steel Heel Receiver on TD1 ?

rider

I'm using TD3 steel heel receivers very successfully on TD1 bindings, 5 years of daily carving during the ski season and I've had zero problems with them (and a huge improvement over the aluminum receivers).  

It's not the hole spacing that's the problem but the bolt size and the fact that the receiver needs to be shimmed up a bit to make the boot level so everything engages and releases properly.   I used the smaller bolt size of the TD3 (6mm), a stainless nylock nut and stainless washer underneath the binding plate, and a short piece of heatshrink tubing around the bolt to (hopefully) protect the M8 threads in the plate.   The bolts are labeled "A2-70 THE", so they're a marine grade stainless, M6 x 1mm x 25mm flat hex with a 90 degree shoulder angle, similar to a McMaster-Carr 93395A363.    I'm not sure where I ordered mine from, maybe Fastenall.    Another source is this: https://www.amazon.com/10-M6-Stainless-Countersunk-MonsterBolts/dp/B078YYDZ34?th=1

The shims are 1/8" aluminum stock with a hole drilled to allow the bolt to pass, and some super thin double-sided tape to hold them aligned to the plate.    You can see them under each side of the receiver in the pics below.

DSCN0538.JPG

DSCN0539.JPG

Edited by skrekk
added link to bolts
  • Like 1

I also considered but didn't try a thread reducer insert .....I was concerned that with an M8-M6 reducer there wouldn't be enough material to support the stress, especially going from a 1.25 pitch to a 1.0 pitch (which is why a standard helicoil insert can't be used).    However I did find a source for these rather rare beasts, the Memfast p/n TCM6M8SCR3:

http://www.memfast.co.uk/shop/vclose1.asp?prd=31737&cat=2250005134

If anyone tries it I'd like to hear if it works.

Edited by skrekk

That's a very good idea and it would eliminate the need for threadlock on the insert.   I'll order some inserts and try them out.    If nothing else the inserts will protect the base plate threads much better than the way I did it and minimize any movement in the heel receiver due to bolt stretch (because more of the bolt is engaged by threads).

Edited by skrekk

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Tom, sorry for the slow response.    There's plenty of room to use 2 nuts.    The aluminum shims are just 1/8" aluminum flat stock, the width and length aren't critical but mine are 3/4" by about 2-1/2", just long enough to fully support the heel receiver.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/sheet-metal-rods/hillman-reg-aluminum-solid-flat/11288/p-1444432415320.htm

Ideally these would be made from something like stainless steel but I haven't had any corrosion issues using the dirt-cheap 6063-T5  aluminum stock.