Note to New Members ×

Buck Hill 2018/19

bobble

From the rumor mill... I guess the head honcho guy of the Buck Hill race team told the owner to remove the moguls, they're gone now. The end of the NASTAR/Ski Challenge run is very narrow at the bottom because of the jump. A guy that does a lot of the race announcing (I think) panicked, lost his edge, slid into the red safety net. He was in a lot pain, maybe broken hip or femur. That was the first run of the night. I've never seen so many Ski Patrol at Buck, I think there was a dozen of them there last night.

My injured finger

IMG_1524[1].PNG

IMG_1523[1].JPG

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, bobble said:

@DonPablo yikes... looks painful. Why did they wait so long to pin it?

Hope for the best for the skier. I saw on instagram someone complaining that the moguls were gone. guess they're moving to red tail which is a weird spot.

I went to urgent care that Saturday night, orthopedic doctor on Monday, and I think they scheduled me for surgery as early as they could which was Friday.

I guess we just need to complain more to get our way

16 hours ago, DonPablo said:

I went to urgent care that Saturday night, orthopedic doctor on Monday, and I think they scheduled me for surgery as early as they could which was Friday.

I guess we just need to complain more to get our way

Hope your finger heals fast. Are you done for the season? Perhaps ride with a hockey glove?

1/16/19

Very fast. Cord was almost rock hard. Fell on my very first toe-side turn on Olympic. Nice hard slam. Left arm and shoulder was throbbing. From the chair it looked like I crossed over a ridge when edge blew out. Grooming on Olympic was not great.

Went over to Warners and even that run seemed too fast. Rode high on edge. I was leaving shiny scatches in the snow. Blew out another edge that took a long time to come to a stop. I could feel the heat in my pants.

Crossroads has no more moguls. Skiers right was rutted. Skiers left is uneven from the groomer.

On the way out I saw the moguls on skiers right of Red Tail. That has to absolutely piss off the 3 skiers the routinely ride through them. Now no one can see them run bumps. On top of that, the run is almost too shallow.

14 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

Has Buck replenished the hill with new snow? Spirit has been okay, carvable with a fast ice base layer under the 2-3" surface groom. Best snow is in the park, as usual, in these sparse snow times.

It snowed 1-2 inches. I didn't hit any ice whatsoever.

• Thanks 1

1/27/19

extreme cold. when i got there it was -5F. blue bird skies. snow was really good on Olympic. I took one break. caught up with @Mr. T 

I've gained new confidence with my new fintec heel pieces. I am now 1/4" taller. ITS FUGGING AMAZING!!!

in fact, I went to use the men's room today I was able to walk proudly across without slipping on my heels and falling onto my back.

feelz gud

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

2/8/19

we got snow. Not sure how much  maybe 6+ inches. First time I've used my snowblower. Snow was very fluffy.

decided to try skiing in the powder. It was okay. It wasn't pushed out too much. The wind was nasty. I didn't realize how cold it was when I left the house. 

Buck has a new policy about signing waivers. When I went inside the office they had set up a queue and put waivers to sign along the window. Imagine how effective that's going to be when people start forming lines outside.

Edited by bobble

2/19/19 Evening

Crazy crowded.

Knew it was going to be bad when I first arrived, stepped on my board to glide down to the chair. As I was gliding down, I just noticed a skier on my heelside an arms length away. He stayed that way until I reached the bottom and I braked.

Reminded me of this

Edited by bobble
im king of the forest

2/20/19

got some snow. Not sure. Maybe 4-5 inches. I was suited up at lunch when snow plow came through and buried the driveway.

went in evening. Rode over the soft piles. 

Two guys asked me about plates. One said he acquired a Burton Factory Prime and a Kessler. He works in rental shop. Hasn't been out on the boards. 

The other guy was the one who rides the blue Rossi. He asked about the Sunday crew. 

2/21/19

rode at lunch. the conditions were too soft/bumpy for carving. long turns.

guy on snowboard stopped me near the chalet.

Guy: How do you like riding in those hardboots?

Me: I love it

Guy: Cool. I've always wanted to try it out.

Me: You should checkout allpinesnowboarder.com... or Donek.com

Guy: I've heard of Donek... My friend out in Colorado has a Donek.

Me: Ummm... What's his name?

Guy: Ryan Knapton. We went to school together. As soon as he graduated he moved to Colorado.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2/23/19

went skiing with a friend in afternoon. olympic was bumped out from new snow. i was on skis and was unprepared. worst ride ever. rest of place was okay.

down at main chair lift line my friend asks "do you smell skunk?"

a couple runs later at main chair my friend asks "i think i found where that skunk smell is coming from... its from inside that building... smells like weed."

i guess i've gotten used to the smell that i don't think about it. not really sure what it is. probably because ms. bobble works in med-cannibis. harvest days are the worst.

are they really toking up in the lift operations shack?

• Haha 1

About two weeks ago or so I was at Buck with my daughter and roughly a third of our trips through the main chair line it was smelling skunky, and I mean SKUNKY! The door to the chair control room was open  a crack most times I was smelling the stank. It was a pretty busy day too, multiple races, PSIA certs, patrol doing sled drills. I felt like I was the only one aware of the vapor trail. Maybe the operations dept. is trying to boost food sales?!

Edited by Mr. T

7 hours ago, trent said:

heads up! ussa racing sat and sun at buck. the front will be swarming with kids and gates everywhere.

Great! Guess I'll just hang out in the lift ops shack:ph34r:

On 2/24/2019 at 8:35 AM, bobble said:

2/23/19

went skiing with a friend in afternoon. olympic was bumped out from new snow. i was on skis and was unprepared. worst ride ever. rest of place was okay.

down at main chair lift line my friend asks "do you smell skunk?"

a couple runs later at main chair my friend asks "i think i found where that skunk smell is coming from... its from inside that building... smells like weed."

i guess i've gotten used to the smell that i don't think about it. not really sure what it is. probably because ms. bobble works in med-cannibis. harvest days are the worst.

are they really toking up in the lift operations shack?

I think pretty common with lifties, of course they're usually snowboarders:eek:, and it likely makes the job somewhat tolerable. Have noticed the same aroma at Indianhead, especially when I make first tracks and arrive at the bottom before the lift starts up. They're usually in a pretty good mood. Of course it's legal in Mich now.