Algunderfoot

Big Snow Resorts

Thinking of heading over to Indianhead tomorrow (Thursday). Looks like it's been snowing enough to cover the "Michigan Marble". Indianhead reported about 3" overnight and another 3-5" predicted by tomorrow morning.

If it's good, I might stay for Friday too.

About 8" fluffy new snow over the past couple days covered up all the hard stuff. Soft 1st day groom down the middle with 5-8" pow on the sides. :biggthump Love how these Thirst boards go so seamlessly between the groomed mid slope and the side pow with hardly any adjustment of technique.:1luvu: Peeks of sun and very thin crowds! Never a lift line! Rode for 5hrs.:smashfrea

@Algunderfoot, I saved some for ya. Met ski-carver Steve who seems to be as addicted to carving as the rest of us.

IMG_3087.thumb.jpg.5d72a1101dc4fa9a60c9545864300118.jpg`

Going back for more tomorrow. It should be good.

Overcast day, flat light. The groomed surface at Indianhead was firm and a bit bumpy, tough with the flat light (gloom and groom). Went over to the west side and found softer groom with fresh on the sides, kind of like yesterday. The west side wasn't open yesterday so not groomed til today.

Ran into Al midday and we went over to Blackjack which was much better. Blackjack was open and not groomed yesterday, hence no crowds at Indianhead. Groomed today with fresh left on the sides, kind of like yesterday at Indianhead--and no crowds. A soft groom that you really sank into if you carved hard.

1376370399_Screenshot2019-01-11at6_34_45PM.png.95d4a40d617962beefb924afa7c7ac35.png

2" of cold lake effect snow last night on top of a much softer base than Spirit Mt. made for excellent carving conditions today at Indianhead. Lots of sun, temps crept above zero and not too crowded to ride the big board all day!  

First tracks of the day...I did not wax for cold and the first few runs were like trying to glide on sandpaper!

IMG_3132.thumb.jpg.6a84a1b9d90f486e7203837ff0b13ed5.jpg

• Like 2

Blackjack continues to have far better conditions, Sunday the backside has 1-2" of powder over the groom so it wasn't slow at all, some of the best carving of the season! The front was a tad sticky, needed some rub-on later in the morning over there. 

Practice day for Turner:1luvu: Seemed like a foot of snow but but actually about 8-10" and still snowing when I left. Dry arctic fluff carried by north winds off Lake Superior!  Rode from 9-2. Whiteout at times and wind kept filling in the tracks. Since Blackjack isn't open M-T-W the fresh snow accumulates for Thurs opening. They just groom a couple of passes down the center of the runs the night before, so it was deep on the sides:eplus2:

Loving the Nitro Squash...it's there, under the snow somewhere1010314642_Screenshot2019-01-24at5_32_22PM.png.665a9998e047c61229f0edcce651a82b.png

• Like 3

Snow flurries in BigSnow country M-T-W and then a couple of days of rare sunshine. Thinking of heading over on Friday. 

Russ and I drove over to Indianhead this morning and rode from 9-1:30. We hooked up with Al for several runs. Snow was very nice making for deep trenches and we trenched the place up pretty good. Had so much fun I forgot to take pics of our best work! The first of our many tracks...

IMG_3367.jpg.ac92776c93095ab76f4d0571ef9cdc49.jpg

• Like 2

The calendar on their website says Nov 29th for Blackjack...after looking at the first post above, I would suspect just Fri-Sat-Sun until mid Dec when Indianhead opens. 

@Algunderfoot is most likely to be in the know. In years past I've watched as lake effect has piled up several feet of snow in November, yet they seem to stick to their planned opening schedule.

Their webcam shows a nice blanket of snow on the slopes and round the clock snowmaking.

Giants Ridge is looking pretty nice on the webcam. Good snowmaking weather all around. Spirit has been going 24hrs a day since Monday. 

All the big snow resorts need to make lots of snow to cover holders and terrain features, plus wait for the slope springs to freeze up before they can open. They also try to make enough snow to store for use throughout the season, before Christmas week.