Note to New Members ×

Invitation to The RACES

The Compound in Revelstoke is hosting a carving session this season, and hopefully for many seasons to come.  This is the first annual Revelstoke Applied Carving Expression Session (The RACES). 

Free accommodation is offered to any former member of BOL (read: any member of ASB whose account was transferred over from BOL) for as many nights as they like between January 25th and February 10th.  We are located just 300 yards from the gondola...  The only other provision is this: if it's not a powder day, you have to ride hard boots (Rob Stevens and Mig excepted...).

We have four empty bedrooms, seven available couches, and not less than a dozen decent mattresses in The Crackhouse (our community climbing gym).  We have hosted up to 25 people at a time in the past, and everyone was comfortable.  If we get more than eight riders at once though, some of you will have to bring your own bedding.

There will be some demo boards from Thirst and Exegi.  We can maybe try to get some Coilers too if there's enough interest.  If we have over 20 riders, we'll also be eligible for discounted lift tickets.

On the evening of February 2nd, Oliver Delorie (oliverlukedelorie.com) will be performing a live concert at The Compound.  This night is not to be missed.

On February 10th (after riding of course) we'll all carpool or caravan down to Turner Mountain to carve up some perfect Montucky corduroy and keep the party going (about seven hours' drive).

Despite the acronym, no actual races will be held.  Except for maybe a Chinese Downhill on the Last Spike: a ten mile wandering journey which very slowly descends 5600 vertical feet.  If you don't know what a Chinese Downhill is, see this link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qe3HBqFhTU.  Winner gets bragging rights and maybe a Play Doh trophy.

To learn more about The Compound, check out these links: https://www.helpx.net/host.asp?hostid=38561 and https://www.facebook.com/theCompoundinRevelstoke/

If you want to attend the session, please post your dates and the number of people in your party to this forum.  No PMs please, let's keep the psych public!  

This is going to be a blast, cash in those vacation days now!

Edited by crackaddict
confusion reduction
  • Like 9

Hey Crack...... Wow!  Sounds like a Road Trip!  Thanks for making this happen!!

but uh?  not sure I'm reading the details right??

On 10/25/2018 at 7:11 PM, crackaddict said:

Free accommodation is offered to any former member of BOL for as many nights as they like between January 25th and February 10th.

....so us guys that would be reading this, aka: current members get no free lodging??

Hey Barry,

Was that confusing?  You were formerly a member of BOL and you are now a current member of ASB right?  Should I have written instead: "anyone who was a member of the now defunct BOL"? 

The idea is, anyone who was a member of BOL can come and stay for free.  I figure, at this point, pretty much every member of ASB was also a BOL member, so they qualify.  This was meant to exclude only folks who might hear about this offer and join ASB for the free room.  There's a lot of demand for housing in Revelstoke in the winter, and people do crazy shit so...  

That little provision was inspired by Alexi from OES who, I'm sure you'll remember, offered demo boards last year to any member of BOL who had been a member for at least two years and who had some minimum number of posts.  It's a low bar, but there has to be some sort of limits when you open your house to the universe on the internet, which is something we do at The Compound on multiple platforms.  Maybe next year it will be anyone who has been an ASB member for at least a year?  We'll see.

Anyway, I really hope you'll attend.  There's more corduroy here than I can shred by all by myself (not for lack of trying), and they keep making more every night!  I just want to ride at home with some like-booted carvers and put my extra space to good use.   So welcome...

James

P.S.  Just because I know a lot of people are probably wondering: no, I don't smoke crack, I climb cracks in big rocks.  And yes, of course the Crackaddict has a Crackhouse...  There's nowhere else to get my fix here in the winter!

• Like 2

Hmm, that's not very far from the Montana event...  I'm going to have to make at least a couple days of this event too!  

Thanks for the gracious offer, James!  I'll specifically not mention to the friendly officers at the border that I just stayed at 'the Crackhouse'.  LOL!  ?  

• Like 1

Corey!

Fantastic.  It will be my great pleasure to ride with you again!

Don't worry, I won't put you in the Crackhouse...  Moderators and vendors can have first pick at the best rooms.  After that maybe we'll do it 'first come first served', just to encourage members to commit early.

Also, you should know there won't be a 'no passing' rule in Revelstoke.  My new Thirst is 191cm.  (The super-secret, very limited run 9SW custom.)  So you'll either have to let me go first, or expect to be passed.  The good news is that the 'no collisions' rule is in effect so we'll all be safe(ish), and I won't pass you on the backside...

And Corey, if you know about a border crossing with "friendly officers", let's cross there...

James

Hell yes!  I love it!

I tried to get something like that going last year: The Carving World Tour (of the Northern Rockies), I called it.  But I started too late and it seemed by then that the NES dates were non-negotiable, I also didn't have as much vacant space at The Compound as I do now, and a lot of riders had their priorities all messed up (I mean, they had to work or something).  So I sort of did it on my own: Revy - Nakiska - Revy - Montana - Revy - Schweitzer...  Except I never made it to Schweitzer last season because it didn't stop snowing there all winter, and I'll only travel for great corduroy.  Powder doesn't interest me unless it's bottomless; I need to trust that the snow is consistent before I can really let loose.  

So ya, who's in for a caravan tour?

Revy is a bucket list kind of place, and chasing James around for a day might give you a sense of just how close you might be getting to the bucket.  It's a great mountain with huge vertical, a wide variety of lift-served terrain and good lifts.  You could make a non-stop run of mostly laid out or at least solid deep carves for over 5000' - or a fall-line tree run.  I'd have to take a few breaks...

Kicking Horse is not a place I'd go for carving, but worth a day or two if you have all-mountain gear and skills.  Some fine hike-to terrain.

Panorama also has some nice steepish front-side groomers, mellow cruisers and hero bumps on both flanks and a big gladed back bowl if you get a powder day.

Fernie is also not a real groomer paradise, but a little more relaxed than Kicking Horse.  Nice town, too.  

Kimberly has a ton of narrow runs cut through the woods and big groomed collectors.  I haven't been there in years but recall having a great day wolf-packing it down a bunch of the slotcar tracks in the woods with some local guys - on skis.

Of course there's also the Banff areas - I had three great days there last winter, two boarding and one skiing.  Plenty of culture and more cute shopping than really necessary.

There are probably another half dozen other areas in BC/AB worth adding to a road trip, with no compelling reason but time to drive more than 4 hours per hop (given decent weather).  Cell coverage is pretty good and there are numerous small towns with good food, good beer and coffee and numerous Air BnB's.  We spent over three weeks last winter cruising around the area, starting at Whistler and ending at Red.  One of the best winter trips we've taken in our 40 years of chasing around.  It's all pretty well been discovered - not exactly a wilderness experience - but the natives are friendly, even to Americans.

• Like 1

Thanks for all that Powder Highway info OD!  Hope I'm not hijacking this thread.....but it's all about carving and Pow riding Canada, right?

Yeah bringing the carving boards but how about the Pow?  Can't leave the Moss Pow squadron behind!   Everyplace as good as any other resort in a big dump??

Edited by barryj

Hey Barry,

Revy is where the snow falls.  We are in the only inland rainforest on the continent, which means we get more precipitation than anywhere else that isn't coastal.  And because we're not coastal, our snow is lighter.

Did you move from Tahoe to Cannon this summer?  What are you gonna do with all those new Moss boards now?

Sorry about screwing up your plans.  Really though, your answer was contained in the question:

20 hours ago, barryj said:

a week of riding in Japan OR spending 3 weeks+

Do you really want to spend two days travelling each way just to ride (completely jet lagged) among strangers who don't speak your language?

OhD,

It was so great to ride with you last year. 

You are one of only two real hardbooters I've seen in Revelstoke in five seasons.  That's another part of the reason I want to bring carvers here; to prove to the locals that I'm not such a freak...

Hope to see you again this winter.

James

1 hour ago, crackaddict said:

Did you move from Tahoe to Cannon this summer?  

The pow and terrain in Tahoe is Awesome!.... but after seven years I had enough of the Tahoe Hour long lift lines, Hours long traffic jams  and the Gestapo BS Squaw throws down!  (Seriously - your average pass holder would get their Pass pulled for a month+  just for posting my last sentence on social media!!!)  I really only had one season left in  me and was planning to move back East to our Northern NH summer home after this winter anyway but when Alterra bought out Squaw last season Alot of jobs and people got squashed over the summer in the acquisition......including mine.   I will only really miss the 6 months of riding...and some waist deep pow days!

So yeah, moved back to the center of NH ski universe - Cannon, Loon, Waterville Valley, Bretton Woods, Attitash , Wildcat......... all within 10 minutes to a hour drive!!  It's all Good!

1 hour ago, crackaddict said:

What are you gonna do with all those new Moss boards now?

The Moss Armada is not Coastist :nono:.....it loves it all, everywhere, in all conditions......   2 inches or 2 feet!   Really, I've had some pretty good  pow days on the East coast...nothing waist deep but shin to knee deep at  Loon, Watervile Valley, Cannon when I would make it back to NH 3-4 times each of the last seven winters.

Seriously, I'd use the Moss PQ60 as my everyday groomer work board but the Moss's Swallowtail's get a lot of  abuse.... in the lift lines, in the glades......so I keep them in reserve for "fluffy"  :1luvu:  conditions. 

So Yeah, really considering how to make your invitation happen!...... the Powder Highway is a Priority!    

On 11/1/2018 at 11:10 AM, crackaddict said:

Do you really want to spend two days travelling each way just to ride (completely jet lagged) among strangers who don't speak your language?

Ha. Any snow resort in Japan will be full of Australians anyway, I think he'll be fine. I can also vouch that Google Translate is very useful in emergencies ?

I've always wanted to hit Revy, but it's just never worked out. I'll be in Portland for the first weekend, but I might be able to look at the second one ...

Thanks for the invitation Crackaddict - way to bring stoke to the BOL / ASB community! I would love to accept your offer but I don't think I can make it because I'm already taking off a week for ClearCUT and Schweitzer afterwards. I hope RACES is awesome so you do it again (and I can attend) in 2020!

5 hours ago, Allee said:

I've always wanted to hit Revy, but it's just never worked out. I'll be in Portland for the first weekend, but I might be able to look at the second one ...

Portland OR? If you'll have some free time when you're in town, post in the local ride board and we'll buy you a drink.