Note to New Members ×

Mountain Slope 951 & zipfit liner

slapos

• 1 month later...

I found that Zipfits are pretty ridgid laterally and good for skiing but not great for hardboot snowboarding.  You do get good heel hold down and lots of toe room but the outsides and insides of my lower legs became very sore and bruised.  I think they defeat the purpose of flexing in hard boots.  Just my $0.02 and worthless.

Neil makes valid points. I am a relative novice and am still trying to get everything figured out.  I have work to do to get down and dirty on my carve but I am confident I have my equipment figured out for now, at least.

I went through numerous shells and messed around with my liners a lot to finally settle on new UPZ RC8 shells, size 28, which are correct for my 28.2 cm feet and Deeluxe 131 liners on which I had to do surgery in the big toe area to finally get great comfort. There was no way to heat-thin the toe area of the liner enough to make room for my very normal sized big toes.

When I first tried Zipfits I thought I had found the perfect liners, i.e. lots of toe room, supposedly moldable while you use them, very well made of durable material, but they made the outsides of my lower legs very sore right at the tops of the liners and I concluded they would be excellent for skiing, where you want lateral stiffness for edge control, but not suitable for hardboot carving for me. 

@slapos keep us updated on how the 951 with zip fits is working. I am trying to get a pair of .951 but I can't get anyone to message me back about them. I guess they are prioritizing racers? I would be in the D shell and my feet are right at 28.5. If anyone has any recommendations I am all ears. My upz are beating up my shins.

On 11/23/2018 at 10:57 PM, slapos said:

I will give them a try anyway. I like stiff and supporting boots so it should be fine.

Thanks for your 0.02

They are not stiff.... They are the perfect balance... Think about it... You can have a really stiff boot paired with a super unsupported liner and the boots are still stiff.   Northwave boots are not that stiff. The offer very nice forward flex and you need a liner that works together with your shell.... I actually hate stiff boots and liners.. If you cant flex your boot then how can you expect to create power on the board.... You cant.... 

On 11/23/2018 at 2:44 PM, 1xsculler said:

I found that Zipfits are pretty ridgid laterally and good for skiing but not great for hardboot snowboarding.  You do get good heel hold down and lots of toe room but the outsides and insides of my lower legs became very sore and bruised.  I think they defeat the purpose of flexing in hard boots.  Just my $0.02 and worthless.

I would be curious to see your setup.  It could be because your twisting and because the liners are there to help your fighting against them... Could be a set up issue not boots.. 

Crazy part about that is when I first got my hands on NW boots in 2008 I hated them and tried to sell them to Vic Wild who was on my team... Little did I know the stock liners were so bad the experience was horrifying. When I switched to ZIP life changed and I never looked back since. 

On 11/24/2018 at 10:54 AM, 1xsculler said:

Neil makes valid points. I am a relative novice and am still trying to get everything figured out.  I have work to do to get down and dirty on my carve but I am confident I have my equipment figured out for now, at least.

I went through numerous shells and messed around with my liners a lot to finally settle on new UPZ RC8 shells, size 28, which are correct for my 28.2 cm feet and Deeluxe 131 liners on which I had to do surgery in the big toe area to finally get great comfort. There was no way to heat-thin the toe area of the liner enough to make room for my very normal sized big toes.

When I first tried Zipfits I thought I had found the perfect liners, i.e. lots of toe room, supposedly moldable while you use them, very well made of durable material, but they made the outsides of my lower legs very sore right at the tops of the liners and I concluded they would be excellent for skiing, where you want lateral stiffness for edge control, but not suitable for hardboot carving for me. 

Did you have the classic liners ? 

Lateral stiffness should be coming from your shells not really your liner ... I would say 80/20 

I tried all the liners when I was visiting Sven and classic was the best IMO

On 11/25/2018 at 3:18 AM, ThePeonsChamp said:

@slapos keep us updated on how the 951 with zip fits is working. I am trying to get a pair of .951 but I can't get anyone to message me back about them. I guess they are prioritizing racers? I would be in the D shell and my feet are right at 28.5. If anyone has any recommendations I am all ears. My upz are beating up my shins.

SI carver is the best place that I know of... Ivan is a great guy and sick service 

2 hours ago, Speed cat said:

They are not stiff.... They are the perfect balance... Think about it... You can have a really stiff boot paired with a super unsupported liner and the boots are still stiff.   Northwave boots are not that stiff. The offer very nice forward flex and you need a liner that works together with your shell.... I actually hate stiff boots and liners.. If you cant flex your boot then how can you expect to create power on the board.... You cant.... 

a little misunderstanding here. I agree the boots have to flex, however I do not like the boot to be stinkynoodle soft. When I bend the the leg I like to feel a little bit of resistance from the shell/spring/tongue. In 951 flex is controlled mostly out of the spring in the back - I got a couple sets with different stiffness so surely I will be trying out a few setups.

gives you quicker reaction imho.

Lukasz

Edited by slapos

2 hours ago, Speed cat said:

. I actually hate stiff boots and liners.. If you cant flex your boot then how can you expect to create power on the board.... You cant.... 

So you'd also go for rubber crowbars? (reductio ad absurdum)

Contrast your approach with that of the current Olympic male PGS champion. Nevin Galmarini uses locked position boots front and rear, yet provides the same rationale as you.

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

Contrast your approach with that of the current Olympic male PGS champion. Nevin Galmarini uses locked position boots front and rear, yet provides the same rationale as you.

May well be Nelvin’s unique personal preference as an awful lot of racers use .950s or .951s. Speedcat’s definition of stiff and yours may also vary. 

One thing I know for sure: I can’t keep up with Speedcat and neither can the vast majority of the folks posting here. 

10 hours ago, Speed cat said:

Did you have the classic liners ? 

Lateral stiffness should be coming from your shells not really your liner ... I would say 80/20 

I tried all the liners when I was visiting Sven and classic was the best IMO

SI carver is the best place that I know of... Ivan is a great guy and sick service 

I agree that LATERAL stiffness should not come from the liners in hardboot carving and that is why I didn’t like Zipfits. I tried every model of Zipfits and they were all too stiff above the shell, laterally only, just where you need it for skiing edge control but not for hardboot carving, IMHO. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

So you'd also go for rubber crowbars? (reductio ad absurdum)

Nevin is also riding Deeluxe boots.. Those boots are noodles compared to NW. This is the reason he needs them locked down super tight. 

• Confused 1

@Speed cat  I'm not convinced by your defence of your dogmatic statement that

"If you cant flex your boot then how can you expect to create power on the board.... You cant.... "

I accept you can ride fast and have done lots of racing. That's not the point at issue here. Nevin's setup and success directly contradicts your statement.

Hey Guys,

So I used Zip Fits for most of my career in NW .950, and UPZ. I like the World Cup/stiffest version the best and I would soften the boot to get the stiffness I would want. (You can always make the boot softer but it can be difficult to make one stiffer)

For molding I would use a hair dryer to heat up the inside of the liner and then while hot place my foot in the liner then the boot and then allow to cool.

When using this liner you always need to put the liner on you foot first and then step into the shell. If you don't the cork and silicon gel that is inside the gel will move to the bottom of the liner and no longer give you the support. These liners are made to always slightly change with the heat of your foot while in the boot to get a perfect fit. So in essence they are "always" being molded. I have been in a jam a few time and have just put an fresh new liner on and ridden it straight out of the box and after a few runs they are good to go and comfortable. 

In my experience I have found that the is a fine line between to stiff of a boot for a person and to soft. A stiff boot will give to lots of leverage on the board and will allow you to rely on the cuffs/tongues to support you in the turn. Now on the other hand this will give a rider the locked in feeling and they will not be able to have much playfulness in the turn. A soft boot will allow you to have all the playfulness in the world and the big bumps will feel like nothing. But you turn will feel blah with no real power in them and you will have a little bit of the out of control feeling. 

Everyone has the own opinion of what is best and everyone will have a different set up. Its all about what works best for you. 

Hope this helps! 

Mike Trapp

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

@Speed cat  I'm not convinced by your defence of your dogmatic statement that

"If you cant flex your boot then how can you expect to create power on the board.... You cant.... "

I accept you can ride fast and have done lots of racing. That's not the point at issue here. Nevin's setup and success directly contradicts your statement.

Mike said it best... Everyone like it different and do what works for you. 

Edited by Speed cat