Note to New Members ×

ALC Bindings???

Shred Gruumer

9 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

The mechanism looks very much like the old Burton unicant.

7 hours ago, BlueB said:

Finaly an inteligent cant design. I was waiting for Fin or Jim to come up with this, it would be really easy to update TDs to a similar design. 

A plastic version of that toothed bi-partisan cant disc was offered by Sims for their alpine boards in the 90's. Might have been produced by Fritschi?

It might look attractive, (mostly on account of being different), but it doesn't really resolve any of the complaints associated the TD/ Catek. 

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 12:48 AM, BlueB said:

Finaly an inteligent cant design

I don't think that's fair to Fin, or Jeff Caron for that matter.  This binding appears to be heavier and to have a much higher stack height, which for me are two things that leap out at me as real negatives whenever I ride a plate.  Also I see no suspension system.  Of course Fin was well aware of the Burton Unicant and he considered copying it, but decided against it for a number of reasons.  More parts, more complexity, more weight, higher cost, more height, less room for suspension, etc, all for the ability to choose cant angles other than 0, 3, 6.  IIRC he also did not like the idea of a kingpin.

On 10/21/2018 at 12:48 AM, BlueB said:

I guess, it was more lucrative to sell multiple cant plates

That didn't enter into it, and, I doubt it.

23 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

It might look attractive, (mostly on account of being different), but it doesn't really resolve any of the complaints associated the TD/ Catek.

The binding appears to be all or mostly metal, so it will probably not be widely accepted by FIS racers.  It does address a complaint of the TD in that it allows more choices of cant angle.  Otherwise, yeah.

• Like 1

The ALC design does look pretty neat.  Inspired by Catek with a dash of Burton Unicant thrown in.  Looks heavy.  There's no allowance (that I can see) for the bottom plate to move on that base without the 4x4 screws losing tension.  That means the part touching the board is very stiff or perpetually-loosening screws are in their future.  

A thought - Can we help spur future binding designs?  What are people's complaints about the TD series of bindings?  

1. Heavy
  2. Too stiff
  3. Too flexible (yes, conflicts with #2, depends on tastes)
  4. Doesn't accommodate short boots well (especially UPZ)
  5. Changing cant requires new parts
  6. Finite selection of cant rings
  7. Not indestructible (conflicts with #1)
  8. Too expensive 
  9. ??

Given this list, I still pick TD3 Sidewinders for 90% of my riding. 

We could compile similar lists for all the big brands.  

• Like 1

I guess I'm one of the few who will like this ALC... I had the Frichies or Sims back in the day... loved the ring Idea I'm not changing parts and it was pretty quick to adjust.

Never was a fan of slop or play in my bindings so this set up intrigues me, yea weight is an issue... I guess that's why F2's have stood the test of time...

Geesh...I guess I'll have to buy a pair...

2 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

I don't think that's fair to Fin, or Jeff Caron for that matter. 

Prising a design as inteligent is not an insult to other manufacturers. I said I expected it from Bomber as the most inovative and flexible maker, it would be too much to expect it from F2 who relies on bigger production runs and uses completely different canting system. 

That said, all other comments still stand - heavy, bulky, probably stiff. I still wouldn't ride it, except to test. 

Some questions/observations arise when I look at the ALC photos:

1) what keeps the upper base plate from rotating - even if just a little like the unicant?

2) 0-8 degree canting, good!, but that would seem to imply high stack height at lower cant angles

3) the kingpin concept has never been a reliability issue for me with Cateks.  In fact it allows for less take down when playing with binding angles/cant

4) The rotational angle mark on the base plate is a fair distance above (depending on the stack height) from the 0 mark the "cant disk"... not so good for accuracy 

5) it's interesting they went with a four point base.  Is there any precedent for this? would it be better for board flex?

32 minutes ago, rjnakata said:

what keeps the upper base plate from rotating - even if just a little like the unicant?

I'm guilty of trolling through the ALC FB page, and noticed that the cant disks have raised locating pins (for lack of a better word) that mate with corresponding holes in the lower base (which looks to be held in place by the bracket for the 4x4 insert screws), and also mate with corresponding holes in the bottom of the upper plate.

ALC_cant_disk.jpg.419287d1f4587141472177b623f4c4c0.jpg

ALC_cant_base.jpg.83c17558722cc7bd1588e3f8ee62b87c.jpg

ALC_cant_underside.jpg.b1ed13eac480035a369173b18441d59a.jpg

1 hour ago, rjnakata said:

The rotational angle mark on the base plate is a fair distance above (depending on the stack height) from the 0 mark the "cant disk"... not so good for accuracy 

Parallax error is a bitch.  I think I've read that the upper plate is 5mm thick, this thickness could be used to reduce parallax.  If they cut a small V-shaped notch at the end of the alignment mark, then you could sight down the notch, when the degree markings on the base line up with the bottom of the V while sighting down the notch, you've reduced parallax to a minimum, which should be accurate enough.

The upper face of the plate is smooth, so the recesses must only be as deep as the locating pins are high, but it does seem like a lot of material gets removed for this.  Wonder how the engineering works out, and what the destructive testing showed?

ALC_plate_upper_top_view.jpg.6c0c0967de7a7a063f50430dffb24bef.jpg

Well now I know more. Japanese manufacturer it means  impossibility to buy it in U.S. And extremely expensive as most of Japanese snowboard stuff. How much you would be willing to pay for this binding? Problem solved. I will stick with TDs. Only if Walker will have them in stock. My biggest complaint about Bomber is adjustability for small boots. Any tiny angle adjustment and I need move one of the blocks to reach screws. I recently got F2, their canting system I don't like. I will ride probably just flat. But adjustability for the boot length with screw is much more convenient than on Bombers. I also have one Piokka binding. It is set up and that's it. Absolute nightmare to make adjustments on the slopes. In the end I am stuck with Bomber for last 25 years?

• Like 2