Note to New Members ×

Goggles

JohnE

My old Habervision goggles are pretty scratched up. 

I found these on Amazon & they look pretty intriguing:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A42F57Q/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3SF4EXA2EQEMN&psc=1

I'm used to having quality goggles cost a lot so I'm skeptical about the quality of these. It seems like Oakley goggles are in the $200 - $300 range. I don't know how much of that is brand-name recognition. 

These on Amazon have great reviews. The magnetic lens holding seems like a pretty slick way of holding the lens and quickly changing the lens out. 

Does anyone have any experience with these (or similar)? It looks like the lens could scratch pretty easily but could pretty easily be replaced. 

I'm assuming that one could get low-light lenses and bright day lenses (correct?). 

Is there a consensus on the latest/greatest goggles?

Oakley Prizm, Smith Chromapop are the latest greatest goggle tech *shrug*.

Check out SaC and get yourself a bargain. It's www.backcountry.com 's sale site. 

Here: https://www.steepandcheap.com/rc/oakley-smith-on-sale?p=category%3A1.steepcheap.Ski&sort=-discountpercent

I wear Oakley Crowbar. My partner wears Oakley Crowbar Asian Fit. We have a few frames and a few Prizm lenses (Rose, Torch, Black) but I can't resist a good bargain. Picked up 6 x standard persimmon lenses for $10.80 each. 70% off plus there was a 20% off coupon at that time. A lot better than $75 retail...

I bought these very similar "Enkeeo" brand goggles from Amazon at the end of last season:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LYBCE0H/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1

They seem well made and fit fine.  The magnetic lens attachment feels secure and there aren't any gaps or other flaws with the interface.  I only had a chance to wear them once on a warmish day (mid 20's temperature and sunny) and there wasn't any fogging.   I've never owned any high-end name brand googles tocompare, but for the money these seem like a good buy.

One observation.  With the reflective, coated lens, the color of the coating doesn't determine the color of the view through the goggles.  I have the green ones and they create a tiny bit of a yellow/brown tinge to the view.  But it's very slight.  I also can't comment on the durability of the coating.

I use these and liked them so much I ordered a second pair: 

https://m.banggood.com/Winter-Anti-fog-Dual-Len-Motorbike-Racing-Outdoor-Snowboard-Ski-Goggles-p-1037612.html

That price includes shipping from China.  Maybe those of you in the US will get import taxes now? I didn't have any taxes bringing them into Canada.

They feel good, have a wide field of view, and look similar to any of the popular brands of today. They resist fog similarly to all other brands I've tried.  No corporate logos, which is either a plus or a minus depending on your personal taste.  

I'm done with expensive goggles. 

• Like 1

Bomber Eyewear - Wrap ? with foam around eye-sockets to reduce wind + they float which may be useful when pond skimming.

https://www.bombereyewear.com/products/james-bomb-1?redirect_mongo_id=5a85be54b53778296221ea01&utm_source=Springbot&utm_medium=Web&utm_campaign=Email

Edited by Pat Donnelly

1 hour ago, Corey said:

I use these and liked them so much I ordered a second pair: 

https://m.banggood.com/Winter-Anti-fog-Dual-Len-Motorbike-Racing-Outdoor-Snowboard-Ski-Goggles-p-1037612.html

That price includes shipping from China.  Maybe those of you in the US will get import taxes now? I didn't have any taxes bringing them into Canada.

They feel good, have a wide field of view, and look similar to any of the popular brands of today. They resist fog similarly to all other brands I've tried.  No corporate logos, which is either a plus or a minus depending on your personal taste.  

I'm done with expensive goggles. 

Corey,

What lens’s did you get,or how do you figure out which ones are good for flat light or sunny days?

9 hours ago, digger jr said:

Corey,

What lens’s did you get,or how do you figure out which ones are good for flat light or sunny days?

Yeah, it's a bit of a guessing game.  I got the black with silver lens. They're a light/medium darkness grey lens that is pretty versatile. I've used them in all light conditions. They're not the best for flat light but workable. 

21 hours ago, JohnE said:

Does anyone have any experience with these (or similar)? It looks like the lens could scratch pretty easily but could pretty easily be replaced. 

I'm assuming that one could get low-light lenses and bright day lenses (correct?). 

Is there a consensus on the latest/greatest goggles?

Retail goggle prices seem insane, and are clearly made up as you can normally find huge discounts if you look. I've no experience with cheap Chinese goggles, but their 'phones are as good as the branded ones these days and hugely cheaper.

I like photochromic lenses, which cover all conditions I want to ride it without changing anything.

Consensus would be boring.

I looked more at the Amazon website as well as the Zionor website to try to understand their various models & terms. 

They have various lenses that vary in Visible Light Transmission (VLT) from about 9% (very bright days) to about 70% (very cloudy days). With the magnetic lens attachment, it seems easy to change lenses. The goggles are about $40 and replacement lenses are about $20. 

I'm thinking of getting some in the 17% range with cloudy day lenses in the 50% range. 

The outward appearance has little association with the VLT. 

5 hours ago, Corey said:

Yeah, it's a bit of a guessing game.  I got the black with silver lens. They're a light/medium darkness grey lens that is pretty versatile. I've used them in all light conditions. They're not the best for flat light but workable. 

Seems like a lot of exaggerated and unsubstantiated claims related to their products, like this bit of mendacity, “The softly & exquisite material can void to bring any unsuitable feeling to face.” We live in a fact-based world and cannot tolerate this kind of misleadery!!!

20 hours ago, JohnE said:

The goggles are about $40 and replacement lenses are about $20.

Or you could get a pair of Oakley goggles for $46.50 and replacement lenses for $13.50. Same money but you get the industry leading brand. Or spend $51/$28.50 and get their latest Prizm tech if you value that kind of stuff.

They're on sale right now for those exact prices. I'm sure there are heaps more deals that was just 30sec of searching.

Goggles $46.50

https://www.steepandcheap.com/oakley-team-usa-crowbar-goggle

Prizm goggles $51

https://www.steepandcheap.com/oakley-crowbar-prizm-goggle

Lenses $13.50

https://www.steepandcheap.com/oakley-crowbar-goggle-replacement-lens

Prizm lenses $28.50

https://www.steepandcheap.com/oakley-crowbar-prizm-goggle-replacement-lens

Not sure about anyone else but I find the foam surrounds significantly more plush and more comfortable on higher end goggles. Having a nose the size of a small banana probably doesn't help though.

Edited by daveo

Consider Julbo (Zebra Light) goggles, a number of their goggles are 40% off right now (and more merchandise will be in stock in the following weeks). The Zebra Light boasts a wide VLT range of 16-80%.

For reference, a clear lens from Smith is 84% VLT, and their "storm (yellow)" lenses start at around 68% VLT; their "blackout" lens is 10% VLT.

Make sure the lens is "Zebra Light" and not just "Zebra".

Mine arrived yesterday.  Thanks Amazon Prime.  I bought the really colorful lens and an extra one for low light.  They look fine and definitely worth the $50.  They even came with a few cases and draw string bags that I can use with my scratched up Oakleys and cracked Dragons.  I might buy another pair before they become part of the trade war.

Much better than anything I could get at my mountain's lost and found.

Edited by pmorita

2 hours ago, pmorita said:

Mine arrived yesterday.  Thanks Amazon Prime.  I bought the really colorful lens and an extra one for low light.  They look fine and definitely worth the $50.  They even came with a few cases and draw string bags that I can use with my scratched up Oakleys and cracked Dragons.  I might buy another pair before they become part of the trade war.

Much better than anything I could get at my mountain's lost and found.

Which goggles did you get from Amazon? What is your initial impression?

Odd Job - I looked for the Julbo Zebra Light goggles on Amazon but didn't see any by that name. They say these are photochromic. Do they really work well (e.g. bright in low light and dark in bright light)?

Edited by JohnE
Clarification

I use $15 dollar Chinese goggles off amazon to off-road with since I need four pairs and they get abused pretty hard. They work just as well as any except they emit a strong chemical odor from the foam padding for a few days after I open them. It goes away but makes me a little wary of putting them against my face. 

On 10/15/2018 at 8:32 AM, JohnE said:

Which goggles did you get from Amazon? What is your initial impression?

Odd Job - I looked for the Julbo Zebra Light goggles on Amazon but didn't see any by that name. They say these are photochromic. Do they really work well (e.g. bright in low light and dark in bright light)?

julbousa.com or steepandcheap.com. Or just google it, I think there still should be deals left. I have used Zebra light lenses in every condition so far, including night riding. It works.

Just nabbed a pair of Oakley Crowbar with Prizm Jade lens for $48 and used the live chat to get the shipping reduced to $4.

https://www.steepandcheap.com/oakley-crowbar-prizm-goggle

Going to put the Prizm Jade lens in my partner's Crowbar Asian Fit and throw a Persimmon lens I picked up earlier for $10.80 in this frame and use them for tree skiing.

Life is good.

Edited by daveo

We (familly) got 3 sets of very similar Copozz Ski goggles from Aliexpress. Low price great quality with Interchangable lenses. Got the light yellow lense for dark or snowy conditions, orange for good all around and dark black for sunny days. Very happy with them, great value and I really like the "no stress" factor with those goggles...  loose them, break them, got stolen? no problem, order new ones for 30$   

will start that season in oakley canopy - bought two pairs (sun/snow) for cheap off ebay. all I can say - I never saw SUCH peripheral view goggles in years. recommended, especially for large faces....

and if you find asian fit - do not worry - it fits perfectly on euro-style heads ?

8 hours ago, terekhov said:

will start that season in oakley canopy - bought two pairs (sun/snow) for cheap off ebay. all I can say - I never saw SUCH peripheral view goggles in years. recommended, especially for large faces....

and if you find asian fit - do not worry - it fits perfectly on euro-style heads ?

I have a huge nose and the extra padding around the nose is actually better for me because the goggle doesn't rest on the bridge of my nose! Pity I had to give those to my partner since she is .. Asian.