Note to New Members ×

Donek - The Art of Alpine Ep 1

Corey

The Art of Alpine Ep 1.

‘Art’ should evoke response. That response can be positive, negative, indifferent; or a combination that evolves.

Could be that the title is purposely configured to be misunderstood, such that the casual viewer assumes the ‘art’ is in the riding, rather than the video itself. A simple mistake to make, given a tendency to initially view things from a very specific and personal perspective.

Often in a binary manner. Like/dislike. Black/white.

With a few notable exceptions, most of you were not awesome your first time out on hardboots.

Quite often, the experience is noisy, discordant, and somewhat confusing.

Like the video.

One could assume, given the intermediate level hip gyrations/sitting on heelside, and related hand/arm affect, that the featured rider is in the earlier phases of rider development (Ep 1?), an area with many questions, and plenty of misleading answers.

Perhaps, rather than rutting out the typical dog and pony snow, the videographer/author took aim at something a little more esoteric, more nuanced; something more in keeping with the nature of the sport.

If so, it seems to be working.

Edited by Beckmann AG
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, barryj said:

I'd say Donek gets an A for the effort...

I’ll agree with this. It’s a stab at a different/artistic/stylized spin on the conventional alpine snowboarding video. Some of it might not work, and all of it may not be to everyone’s taste, but I’ll give credit to Donek for trying something different in what is usually a highly formulaic genre.

hey you old farts are getting older!  That's Mt Snow, the mountain I love to ride at.  The rider, forgot his name, younger guy 20's- 30 year old. Trevor?  Met him last season.  He rips on some east coast conditions on he tight trails of the North side of the mountain.  He is a rider for Donek too.  So it's not all buttery soft snow to make your carving look great, and it's not in color?  Well, I have some news for you, that's what it looks like most of the winter months here!  Get over it, like your perfect!!!

Nobody is perfect. If this had been someone’s personal video I bet the response would have been positive and encouraging, with a dose of constructive criticism. But this is a promotional video from one of the major players in the industry of our beloved sport. We expect a higher standard. 

• Like 1

I think it it great! I really do not give one rats hiney about technique or style... This all about fun.  Looks to me like the rider and film crew had fun making this!   Donek supports a ton on amateur snowboarders and from what I understand it is based on how much social media attention they get.  Because of this there are tons of young athletes out there promoting carving of all types and a brand that is here to stay. 

Great Job to Donek, Hunter and his brother!

• Like 1

Hey Soybomb   

That was Great!   Great action, great editing and great music!

Those wide open trails were awesome also....but I don't remember those my few times at  Stratton!

How back in the day you think?  I think I could make out Catek bindings on one board.

What boards were those...they looked like modern shapes 

This was from right around 2000 or so.  When we could drink all night and still be first chair to ride the groomers before the crowds showed up.    It was watching these guys rip turns that got me off skis and into snowboarding.  i spent 1 day on softboots and then strapped on a Burton factory prime and never looked back.  These were doneks and F2 speedsters back then.  I think we may have still been riding Catek world cups or TD1s.   

• Like 1