Note to New Members ×

What protective gear do you wear?

daveo

two things back protector does for me :

protects you from hitting your back on hard ice, when you overload the nose and go over handlebars...

i have seen couple nasty crashes when somebody would hit carvers from behind

feels a little bit safer with back protector. 

3DO protectors seem to be working pretty well with me, with low profiles and flexibility.

@daveo

In Xion you can choose which back protector thickness you want. All 3do is produced by 3do company, so even POC buys from them. You have an option on 10mm thickness or 18mm thickness, which meet CE1621-1 and CE1621-2 respectively.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

What is the reason you guys wear spine protectors?

Mine is very minimal.  Thin segmented plastic over about 1/4" of dense foam.  The local chair lifts have annoying backs with bars only - this spreads the load out so my  ribs/spinal erectors don't hurt after a long day from a point load.  I never feel it while riding.  As a bonus, it may help a tiny bit if/when I get hit from behind. 

Everyone has to make a choice of protection vs. inconvenience.  I didn't like the feel of the thick spine protectors just moving around in the store, so I chose a lightweight variety.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slapos said:

@daveo

In Xion you can choose which back protector thickness you want. All 3do is produced by 3do company, so even POC buys from them. You have an option on 10mm thickness or 18mm thickness, which meet CE1621-1 and CE1621-2 respectively.

Just checked the xion site, good to see they added the two different options. If it were cheaper I probably would've gone for that if it were offered at the time I got mine. Think I got my POC jacket for USD200ish.

I remember when I enquired about them, they didn't actually have the certification specs up at all so I emailed them. At that point they sent me a bunch of spec documents and had the thinner one only.

I don't think POC markets theirs as 3do though (VPD or something). Probably the same thing, though.

Edited by daveo

5 hours ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

What is the reason you guys wear spine protectors? To prevent catastrophic spinal injury or to prevent sore boo-boos on your bony prominences? It seems like to me that most aren't designed to prevent the kind of injury that will put you in a wheelchair except for maybe shearing forces on the fore and aft plane. 

Just gives me confidence. Or maybe removed my confidence to ride without it.

• Like 1

Helmet only and wristguards occasionally. 

7 hours ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

What is the reason you guys wear spine protectors? To prevent catastrophic spinal injury or to prevent sore boo-boos on your bony prominences? It seems like to me that most aren't designed to prevent the kind of injury that will put you in a wheelchair except for maybe shearing forces on the fore and aft plane. 

Scooby wears full body armor under his outer clothes. I actually witnessed him being hit by a straightliner, when he was almost at the lift line. If it wasn't for that spine protector, there would have been an injury there, I'm pretty sure. 

7 hours ago, slapos said:

two things back protector does for me :

protects you from hitting your back on hard ice, when you overload the nose and go over handlebars...

i have seen couple nasty crashes when somebody would hit carvers from behind

Yep. I've caught the wrong edge hard a couple of times and gotten ejected, and the spine protector made sure that something that could have been nasty, wasn't. I've also been taken out by a skier and flung down the hill, and for a few days after that it was easy to tell where the armor ended and my ribs began.

And race helmets are brilliant. Light and warm. My Giro Streif is up for replacement this season, I'm also thinking of going with the Uvex, as the POC stuff simply doesn't fit me.

Edited by Allee

51 minutes ago, Allee said:

Yep. I've caught the wrong edge hard a couple of times and gotten ejected, and the spine protector made sure that something that could have been nasty, wasn't. I've also been taken out by a skier and flung down the hill, and for a few days after that it was easy to tell where the armor ended and my ribs began.

And race helmets are brilliant. Light and warm. My Giro Streif is up for replacement this season, I'm also thinking of going with the Uvex, as the POC stuff simply doesn't fit me.

I've landed flat on my back after an unexpected descent once. I reckon my spine protector in combination with my hydration pack saved me from at least getting winded.

Chdck out Vola brand. FIS certified and pretty good price. Nice quality too!

What is the reason you guys wear spine protectors?

Other people.

In addition to a vest-type spine protector, I also wear a nerd-type Ruroc helmet, Level mitts with wrist protectors, a day-glo jacket and knee bandages. I doubt the latter do much in the way of protection, but they keep the patellae where they are supposed to be.

17 hours ago, daveo said:

I've landed flat on my back after an unexpected descent once. I reckon my spine protector in combination with my hydration pack saved me from at least getting winded.

Full hydration packs make great armor. I've supermanned more than a few times off a mountain bike wearing one, and always been impressed at how well they work.

I admit I rarely wear those kind of things. Yes, I have wiped out before and knock my head pretty good on my Madd 158. 

With that said, when I go racing, those are the stuffs I wear - Protec helmet, Dainese spine/arm protector suit, Malpus shin bangers, and that's it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I found spine protectors and body armor to warm, confining, and bit of a pain, besides looking like some wannabe superhero. As an ex ice bike racer and motorcycle enthusiast, I went back to armored textile riding jackets. You can pick them up now on eBay, they're usually out of the ??, come with liners and vents, under $100.00. I prefer dayglo green so no bliner can claim I wasn't seen.

After the 1st hip surgery, I also added armored shorts, here too shop the moto gear, save $$$!

I don't skimp on the Helmet though, gotta protect what's left ?

1006181227a.jpg

Edited by Algunderfoot

Ruroc helmet (especially now that the face mask is tested/rated/certified) and bright neon/glow colors (I like orange and blue). Added some neon orange gaff tape arrows on my helmet too to help indicate side to side travel, though not sure how well that actually works. I recall someone asking me about them though so maybe they do help... I also prefer mitts to gloves as there's some slight finger protection there, albeit minimal. 

I'm definitely in the market for a back/spine protector and have been for the last year or two. Just been difficult to try some to see what has a good balance of protection, maneuverability, and fit/comfort. 

45 minutes ago, AcousticBoarder said:

I'm definitely in the market for a back/spine protector and have been for the last year or two. Just been difficult to try some to see what has a good balance of protection, maneuverability, and fit/comfort. 

I can vouch for the POC ones. I had just the back protector last season and recently purchased the full jacket for this upcoming season.

Pretty slimline and contours nicely to the body. Don't even notice it is there honestly, but I wear a small hydration pack, so I'm probably used to having something on my back.

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, billyt. said:

do you wear the spine protector under your layers, or over?  I have a hard enough time just with layers I wear when nature calls.  Looks cool though, might help with abdominal muscles when getting low.

Under. I wear mine over my base layer and under my insulating layer (if wearing one). It's super lightweight and I don't even notice it.  So much that I've occasionally forgotten to wear it and I don't remember until I set back into the chair.