Note to New Members ×

What protective gear do you wear?

daveo

With the season sort of coming up, I figured it'd be a nice time to discuss what protective gear we all wear. I've added mine slowly over a period of a few years because it's expensive and I am poor, plus I try to get it on sale when I can. I think I'm overly cautious when it comes to this stuff but hey I spectacularly fall every day when I snowboard and I snowboard for 30 days each year...

• Uvex Race + Helmet
  • POC Spine VPD 2.0 Jacket (spine, shoulder, elbow and removed the chest pad)
  • POC Hip VPD 2.0 Ski Shorts (hip and coccyx)
  • Flexmeter Wrist Guards
  • Rehband knee sleeves and G-Form knee things over the top (tis a little OTT when I think about it)

Also is anyone preparing physically for the upcoming season, yet? Anyone got post-snowboard day recovery rituals?

Oh, this is me:

Michelin_Man_Custom_Mascot.jpg

Edited by daveo
Found a photo of myself on that internet thing

I wear a back/spine protector for night skiing at Mt Hood Meadows, seems to be a higher idiot factor at night vs the daytime.  Daytime I leave it in the car for all but the coldest days,  then it can provide some nice insulation against the lift seat backs and wind.

Helmet always, having treated a boarder with an open skull fracture and exposed brain who found a rock unexpectedly.

Body armour - spine, chest, shoulders and arms. Started this in the last 2 years.

Hand armour over my Hestra gloves. Search ASB for "hand armour" if you want to know more. A little inconvenient, gets more questions than the alpine board does, but my gloves are pristine and I doubt I will break another finger while snowboarding. Reduces the impact forces in falls on the whole arm.

16 minutes ago, Eboot said:

Reading this thread it seems that the amount of protective armor worn is a function of personal experience.

All my protective gear has a story behind why I got it, actually...

A guy I used to know landed on his back at the top of a quarter pipe (is that called the lip?), he broke his back. He didn't have his spine protector on. He later committed suicide but (I think) that was unrelated.

I've broken my wrist when I raced BMX. I also snapped my collar bone and it protruded out of my skin. Also ripped a small part of the skin on my ear off the cartilage when training because I didn't have my full face helmet on.

I have had 2 ACL reconstruction on my left knee. Never had a knee injury while snowboarding, but I've seen a few black bruised knees.

I had soft tissue damage on my butt when I first started snowboarding.

I must say since I have wrapped myself up in cotton wool, I haven't suffered any injury that could have been prevented by wearing the safety gear. Maybe I'm a better rider? Maybe I am just protected by the gear. Don't know, but I'm not willing to risk it, anymore- not with my lack of skill and amazing crashes, anyway.

• Like 1

I use a decent helmet and I use writs braces inside my mitts.

I bought a simple vest with spine protector but haven't used it yet.

Never had any big dives or accidents when snowboarding, but reading the comments here I might start wearing my spine protector the coming season..

1 hour ago, slapos said:

Race helmets with FIS approval are preffered to others.

Uvex Race+ is my choice

I got a burton 3do protection, but I am thinking on switching to this:

http://www.xionpg.com/

Agree regarding the race helmet. The Uvex is my choice also. Got my partner a Vola brand one. Which are FIS approved and pretty reasonably priced and felt quite nice actually.

I also looked at Xion but if I remember correctly I think their protection was not certified as high as the POC one. Not sure if it makes much or any diffdrence. The POC jacket actually fits a lot closer and slimmer than my partner's Demon 3do one.

What is the reason you guys wear spine protectors? To prevent catastrophic spinal injury or to prevent sore boo-boos on your bony prominences? It seems like to me that most aren't designed to prevent the kind of injury that will put you in a wheelchair except for maybe shearing forces on the fore and aft plane.