Note to New Members ×

Vancover's Carvers' Diaries 2018/19

BlueB

First day impressions from Lake Louise: 

Spring conditions, frozen in the am, slush in pm. There's a lot less snow then last soring, too. We've got a big group at the exam, over 20 candidates and about 8 evaluators. 

Freeride/mogul run was "interesting". They made us ride a nasty northern bowl.

awT1vdF0_o.jpg

I'm not too sure that photo fully depicts the steepness. The group on top is actually standing on a completley vertical cornice. That's where we dropped in... Being in the northern shade and overcast, the light was totally flat. During the test run, we just knew the moguls were below us, but we couldn't see them - like going down blind🤪 Thanks goodness, for the 2 scored runs the light improved a bit and sudenly we saw the contours... 

Edited by BlueB

Lake Louise, day 2

Couple of good crushes on my 2nd run through the Park... I concluded my first run wasn't enough, went big on the 2nd... and bust. Well, I don't think I'll pass that... 

Other than that, it was pretty hot, today. Snow on the forecast tonight and tomorrow. 

Lake, day 3 

Some freshies over frozen yesterday's stuff... Just a few cm on the front side, but at least 5 at the back of the mountain. First tracs: 

ilfSkzPj_o.jpg

The teaching exam went pretty well, but I'll know only tomorrow pm... 

Lake, day 4: 

Frozen frontside, but lovely backside of the mountain... Mostly sunny, but with about 2 hours of snow after lunch... 

Exam didn't go well, after all 😞

Long drive home, tomorrow... 

Edited by BlueB

Slush cup was a hoot! After a successful crossing, I went over the kicker, for a long air, "caught the edge" on the "landing" and head dived... Tony and Patrick were going crazy too! I don't have any video tet, but hold tight, young instrouctor James promissed some. 

Scotches with the crew, around the fireplace in the pub, were a great way to finish the season! 

It was warm all the way to the top the day before but only the runs off the peak chair froze overnight. I started the day with a couple of runs down big red, the first few minutes of which was nice and firm but the rest of it was already somewhat soft when I got there. It was cloudy all day so it kept the snow from melting quickly. Things started softening up around 12:30 but the saddle stayed solid all day so I spent a bit of time there. Good grooming everywhere. Off-piste was also great once things got soft.

I surfed the slush all the way down to the village while dodging a few thin and brown spots.

Sounds good for the spring! I think we should start planning a mass attack for a first sunny weekend (or a work day, if you could pull it of) in May. It turned out one of my tennis buddies has appartments in the Village and Creekside. If there is interest in an overnight stay, I could ask him?