Note to New Members ×

Vancover's Carvers' Diaries 2018/19

BlueB

And all the Scotch last night couldnt stop us from riding today! It was a blue skies and very nice snow in the am! 

Boys were doing the demos (The Boardroom demo day), while I was teaching Harry again. The afternoon I spent on Midway, away from the lift lines, with quite a few excursions into the little park... 

First day impressions from Mt Tremblant: 

Crazy busy even on Monday, ice on the runs in despite recent snowfalls, picturesque village, some very steep groomed pitches, good food, wines sold in IGA at very cheap prices... 

A very cold day coming up in the am. 

-25C at 7am, but sun made it feel warmer. In the pm, it was only -11, but it becsme windy and snowy, felt way colder than morning! Snow was great though, at least in the morning. 

We completed all the riding tasks and I volunteered to do my teaching test too. 

During another guys test, we ended up (twice) on a super steep groomed run, that was scraped to yellow ice. Horrible! To give you an idea of how steep, it starts like the Headwall at Sun Peaks, but longer... 

Now, Italian food! 😛

Edited by BlueB

Another -25C morning... 

Last run of the day we were doing pretty fast and no stoping. Halfway down, I noticed that I can't feel my nose. I took the glove off, to be able to touch with bare fingers and I took a thin sheet of ice from the tip of my nose!?! 

We did some very demanding moguls, looong stretch, but on a relatively good snow. After that we did park, not very big features, but almost 2km long! I had a downright scary experience - double ejection from bindings on a landing from a pop I took of the end of a box. It wasn't even too much air, probably only about 1m up and landing was good, flat on the base, both feet contact... and just BOOM! Board carried on without me, but luckily, stoped... Lesson learned: Never set your bindings way too lose to get extra lateral roll. I cringe when I think that I could have a single foot ejection in the moguls, just one run before 😱😳 

One more day left. 

12 hours ago, BlueB said:

Another -25C morning... 

Last run of the day we were doing pretty fast and no stoping. Halfway down, I noticed that I can't feel my nose. I took the glove off, to be able to touch with bare fingers and I took a thin sheet of ice from the tip of my nose!?!

Dude, no exposed skin at those temperatures! That could be a layer of dead skin you peel off next time. 

Morning had -29, with a brief dip to -31, to get "warm" in the pm at -13 🤪 

I didn't have very successful exams, but I did something totally out of the box in the pedagogy section and got credits for that... 

Tomorow fooling around Montreal, back to Cypress on Saturday... 

Edited by BlueB

I'm back.

For the first time in about 6 years, I had a rip on Cypress today on my Coiler VSR proto. Enjoyed a few runs with Pan and Tony (thx boys).

Overall, skiing hasn't ruined me, it took a few runs, but I was back to trenchin in no time (may be a bit rusty). As a family, we bought seasons passes for next year, so y'all will be seeing me around more often (albeit on skis when with the kids...like on this coming Sunday). But I will ride plates here and there.

I missed this!!!

Gord

Sunny day, horrible grooming on the Rainbow, all golfballs (these guys should be ran over eith their own cats, really), but ok on the other side of the mountain. 

Patrick was kind to shoot some of my fooling around the park and sloppy switch carving... All on OES 162 SL: 

Edited by BlueB

Instructor training day... Good grooming around Eagle chair. It started snowing at about 11am! 

I had a really nasty crash during a carving demo, in the pm. Visibility got pretty bad and I managed to carve into a small mogul, board over flexed and launched me into a cartwheel. The old hip injury is really hurting now 😞 I'll definitely skip the pow day tomorrow. 

43 minutes ago, Cousin of Beagle said:

Pow Tuesday was a good 12" of dry freshies. Sun too!

Sounds great! There was no chance for me to go, previous evening I had thought that hip was fractured again. Seems to be fine now... in Californian sunshine 🙂

On 3/12/2019 at 11:45 AM, BlueB said:

Instructor training day... Good grooming around Eagle chair. It started snowing at about 11am! 

I had a really nasty crash during a carving demo, in the pm. Visibility got pretty bad and I managed to carve into a small mogul, board over flexed and launched me into a cartwheel. The old hip injury is really hurting now 😞 I'll definitely skip the pow day tomorrow. 

Wew, I did the same thing this season. Straight over the handlebars, except visibility was perfect haha. Luckily I did a full flip and landed flat on my back protected by my hydration bladder and spine protector. 

• 2 weeks later...

So, back to snow, from Cali, happy that the hip is back to normal and having survived the flight on 737 max... 

I was amazed how much snow we lost during my absence. Real spring conditions... Packed early, after lunch. 

Thursday night was spectacular, warm and unreal sunset that lasted forever.

9yBgNaXw_o.jpg

RBHoWJMt_o.jpg 

I rode the slush moguls under the Sky Chair all evening! The 3800 163 made a big difference vs the 169... 

Today, I found an unused pair of Head hard boots, in my size, in a local thrift store. Unreal 🤪 

XDBWuXCD_o.jpg 

Edited by BlueB

Almost identical day, today... However, we packed up at lunchtime, to drive someone to the airport... 

Moguls at JJA got really deep, I don't think I've ever seen it like that! 

Edited by BlueB