Note to New Members ×

Vancover's Carvers' Diaries 2018/19

BlueB

Very firm grooming in the am, sunny and windy. JJA wasn't carvable at the steepest part, as it head a frozen layer under loose granular, but other runs were good, except for lots of pine debris from wind... 

Patrick was on his Nirvana, me on OES Sputnik, in the am. I forgot how fun was that board! 

In the pm, I stepped on Arbor/duck plates, too fool around. At the end of the day, I wanted to do some filming on Easy Rider, of some entry level CASI stuff, using my dad as the camera man. We filmed for about an hour... and got... no recordings 🤯🤪 I have no clue what went wrong. 

It started as a sunny, cold day, with hard pack. I felt sluggish and tired from the get go and had a feeling that big Sputnik was riding me, instead of other way round... Crowds got really big, quickly.

After the lunch it started snowing heavily. All 3 generations were feeling tired, so we called it a day early... 

Midway opened sometime around noon. I had 4 really good runs on it before the ski club took over the public side. Huge crowd for most of the day.

On the way back, i treated myself to donuts in the overflow parking lot. Lots of onlookers but no one bothered to join. I was half expected cousin of beagle to come drifting around the corner in his new ride.

Also, I love snow until I have to shovel it.

Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday look very sickly... but Wednesday might be a bluebird. It was snowing when I left today and I don't think it will stop until Wednesday early morning. I have to be up there on Thursday evening, no matter what. I might pick another mornig too. 

Today we had 10-15 of very dry, light, snow, but groomed eveywhere (great carving for few hours!). You had to acidentaly loose your way to find the freshies 😉 around Raven, or to brave the trees around Moons. I didn't venture up the Sky Chair. As the snow was super light, I was hitting nasty frozen stuff underneath all the time. It didn't quite resemble a pow ride... 

I saw Tony in the am, before my instructor sessions started. 

Toy: OES AM. In a bit of wind blown that I found, it seemed to float, even when ridden of front foot. 

It carried on snowing right through the day! Lots of people got "sick" and the schools closed didn't help the crowd issue either. However it was well worth it - a real pow day, one of the very few this season. The snow was a bit heavier then the super light stuff other day. Probably a good thing, though... 

I quickly teamed up with Patrick and Gary and we saw Tony, later. 
We started with 3 laps on Lions - Gibsons to Rainbow, Bowen, Humpty, then switched to Eagle to take us to the Raven. On Raven, the First Sun, Coyote and Raven were open and the rest, sort of, roped off. However, one could still legally get into the Glades and then into Meteor and Black on Black. Good snow everywhere. 

20190215-110104-1.jpg

After many runs there we switched to Lions (big line up!) then up to the Sky. The snow was awesome up there! 

We finished of with a quick pub session, ribs, wings and Scotches 😉 What a day! 

20190215-122137-1.jpg

Toys: 
Patrick - Nidecker Spectre 
Gary - Volkl pow skis 
B - OES AM - finally in the real pow! And it absolutely rocked! The thing is simply unstoppable, very fast and it comes to the surface even when you ride the front foot. I even head the bindings 10mm ahead of the centre, just because, and never needed to ride the back foot (unless I wanted to). 

Edited by BlueB

Sunny, cold morning and decent grooming! The chairs opened at about 8:45 and bigger crowds didn't show up until 10:15 or so... I guess I did as many runs to that mark, as later until 12:30... Snow was good everywhere, except the mogul runs, but later it started to resemble spring skiing a bit. 

I spent the morning around Eagle chair, with a short excursion down the First Sun (where are my tooth feelings? 😁). Later I retreated to the Midway, the only chair without lineup. 

20190217-160427.jpg

A signature through park. I did hit the jumps too, though. 

20190217-160633.jpg

A perfect edge change 

20190217-161023.jpg

I had the OES AM down the groomed, but also at high speed through the crud on the side. It handled beautifully! 

Edited by BlueB

heads up (for what it's worth): stolen today (feb 18) @ cypress. Fullbag Diamond Blade w/ El Heffe carbon bindings. why someone would nick something unconventional like this is beyond me. perhaps they'll flip the bindings & toss the deck. regardless, thieves all need to die. really liked this board.  

fb.jpeg

• Sad 2

We had a strange day yesterday morning. It started with very nice hard pack, but very foggy. It was also sleeting badly, the googles were freezing, I had to buy Cat's Crap in the shop... After a short while, the fog started lifting and sleet turning into propper snow. By lunch time it was snowing heavily. 

Harry is a new carver (soft boots for now) in our ranks. He came for 2hr lesson. We started on his old board and duck stance, to refine the carve. Last 20min he switched to his new Prior MFG(?) softy carver and agressive forward stance. It was uncomfortable in the first run, but started comming together in 2nd. I'm looking forward to seeing his future progress... 

Edited by BlueB

Wow, so much snow today! We had only 10cm over night, but it puked heavily all morning. I had about 15-20cm on the car by 1:30pm! 

20190222-133024.jpg

Harry came for another lesson, we had to adjust to soft conditions... 

Edited by BlueB

It's still dumping like crazy, this morning! I was lapping the steeps around Lions until the Sky opened, then had the furst tracks diwn the Ripcord! The conditions are amazing up there. The Top Gun was roped off, for unknown reasons - it was open yesterday, but it was awesome 😉

Waiting now for Luka, to have lunch, then more fun until 3pm. 

Toy of the day: ElDiablo. I'm loving it in softish moguls. 

PM, continued: 

Raven was the key word! No crowds and better visibility then the whiteout around Eagle. The 3 open runs around Raven were good... the other ones great 😉

Edited by BlueB

Bluebird mornig, super nice softish pack everywhere. Of course, the crowd got really big, really quickly. The fact that Lions started 30min lste didnt help the issue... 

I lapped the JJA until Lions opened, then it was all Rainbow, until I got sick of the lineup. Midway after that. The Rainbow had perfect EC conditions. Two little jumps at Collins were really nice too. 

20190224-172149.jpg

^ Note a heel side warrior inspecting the ruts 🤣

Toy: WCRM 173 

We left after lunch... 

Edited by BlueB
  • Like 1

I'm not 100% well yet, but Harry had pre-booked lesson and I didn't want to let him down... We were rewarded by nice firm, yet grippy, pack and high overcast skies. Eagle side had better snow then Lions. We saw another 2 hard boot riders (I don't know them) and few solid soft boot carvers. Tony cheered us from the chair too. 

We did an angulation drill with long bamboo poles. It worked like a charm, but we were getting strange looks from the public. 🤣