Note to New Members ×

Vancover's Carvers' Diaries 2018/19

BlueB

Yup, this is the time of the year - another sarcrifice to Ullr, and opening of this season's thread! 

We had it mostly indoors this time, due to the weather. We also had Kaz and Krista visiting from Japan. 

15367812133791.jpg

To the horror of the others, Rod and I did some entertaining, too? 

15367809201580.jpg

Edited by BlueB

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

From Farmer's Almanac: 

"Winter will have near-normal temperatures, on average, with above-normal precipitation and snowfall. The coldest periods will be in late December, early January, and late February, with the snowiest periods in early to mid-January and late February. April and May will have below-normal temperatures with above-normal precipitation." 

Seems like we are in for a pretty good one! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Checking in from Whistler: Not too great conditions here, either... I mean, the snow is ok, but not a lot of it... Only Glacier and Catskinner chairs are running on Blackcomb side... Old Emerald chair from Whistler is now serving as the Catskinner. Solar Coaster is a gondy now... 

Hopefully, I'll post some pics tomorrow. 

Ok... it snowed a lot last night and it didnt look like rain on the mirning forecast, so I decuded to brave it. 

I was rewarded by that weird stuff that we sometimes call snow at Cypress (but no one in right mind, elsewhere, would) 🤣 Oh, did I mention the wind? 

On a bright side, this is starting to look like a winter. The heavy sticky stuff will compact nicely. There's fair bit of it too, no hiden rocks on 3.5 runs that are open. 

The OES AM looked unstopable and carved trough mess with ease. However, it made me feel too much of a Superman, so eventually I did a mid carve "superman", resulting in a comical face plant 🤫

Tomorrow we'll have gale force winds, Saturday's looking promising. 

Some late reports from the past weekend... 

Saturday

The pow never came, crappy hardpack in the am, somewhat softer but also scraped and icy in the pm. Pretty big crowd... I had the M and S OES AM for the day. They performed well, considering the conditions... 

I bumped into Patrick, leaving to go home, while I was going back to the slope after lunch. Then hooked up with George, for one run only. He struggled with front binding getting loose on his huge, narrow and stiff Coiler PR and had to run to the car to change the boards/bindings... 

Sunday 

Staff training... in pouring rain... yuck. The snow was actually a bit more to my liking, then on Sunday, but the Rocks have started to show on Panorama. 

I rode the Arbor 162 with Burton Carriers and full duck stance. I changed the boots to ancient Raichle 131 with Vibram soles, just to experiment. When unlocked, they are actually softer in the forward direction then most soft boots! I kinda liked them... My old Dalbellos have died and the new replacement model is actually stiffer?!? Different year, different plastic, I guess...