Note to New Members ×

Montucky Clear CUT Stoke!

dredman

2 hours ago, dredman said:

55-60 I think... going to limit participants to 125 so get entered today! And bring your drone!

I’ve got a few friends that I’m pressuring to sign up, but they can’t commit this early.  Hopefully they will by the end of the year.  If there’s still spots available.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/22/2018 at 1:56 PM, AcousticBoarder said:

I still need some time to be able to commit, but if I can go I will plan on bringing my Mavic! 

Edit: Booked and going!

Just noticed that your from Santa Clarita!  I’m just up the hill in Frazier Park.  Glad you booked MCC.  I just bought air fare for LAX to Spokane for $310 on Alaska Air.   Also gonna rent a mini van in WA.  If it works out and are interested you can hitch a ride with us.

Edited by Jcar

• 3 weeks later...

For those you you who have never been to a carving session or those newer to the sport I want to personally invite you to join us!  

These sessions are so very welcoming, the people are super friendly and helpful.  You will leave with a whole lot of new friends (that actually get your obsession). Learn a ton from watching so many different ways to ride these silly things.  And you will not have to worry about getting hit from uphill traffic!  NO PASSING!  So the run is yours!  Practice and focus on YOUR line!  If you get tired just pull over to the edge and watch the folks go by!

This is the time and place to advance your riding, have fun and make new friends!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

For those who have been to the mountain, how is the terrain? Are the greens/ blues/blacks classified well or are they weighted one way or the other? 

My gf is joining us, but is learning to snowboard this season. She also learned to ski a couple days last season. Trying to figure out what to expect and what she should bring/focus on. 

45 minutes ago, b0ardski said:

there's a mid station off load for beginners mostly true blacks and blues from the top, gentle slope right above the lodge.

they just updated the website, https://www.skiturner.com/

OK, cool I did not realize there was a mid mountain offload, that eases my concerns a little bit! 

There must be karma in the air (along with snow!).  I'd previously been a part of the bomberonline.com community and have attended several SES events.  Alas, with the demise of Bomber and the SES events, I kind of fell out of the community to just be that lonely guy carving at Arizona Snowbowl trying not to get killed by straight-liner kids.  Maybe a USSA race here and there.

Then, last weekend, I'm going up the lift and looking down and see some fine lines!  I figure Scott or Bill (the other two carvers on our mountain), but no I get of the lift and there's this mountain-of-a-man Dave Wilcox (somewhere on this board, don't know his username) who's on a Coiler - the same board I'm riding!  We take some laps and I remember how cool it is to ride with another carver!  And, he tells me that the board has been resurrected and there is this cool event where they are going to rent an entire mountain!  Sweet.

So I go to this new board and try to register only to find they've transferred my old account!  Bless you guys!

Super excited to go to Montucky!  Will register Monday!  I'll be at Powder Mountain the whole month prior, so the drive shouldn't be that bad vs Arizona.

WhooHoo!

Pic from today at Snowbowl (before the thousands of people showed up and forced me to quit, sigh):

carving.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, maxlean said:

There must be karma in the air (along with snow!).  I'd previously been a part of the bomberonline.com community and have attended several SES events.  Alas, with the demise of Bomber and the SES events, I kind of fell out of the community to just be that lonely guy carving at Arizona Snowbowl trying not to get killed by straight-liner kids.  Maybe a USSA race here and there.

Then, last weekend, I'm going up the lift and looking down and see some fine lines!  I figure Scott or Bill (the other two carvers on our mountain), but no I get of the lift and there's this mountain-of-a-man Dave Wilcox (somewhere on this board, don't know his username) who's on a Coiler - the same board I'm riding!  We take some laps and I remember how cool it is to ride with another carver!  And, he tells me that the board has been resurrected and there is this cool event where they are going to rent an entire mountain!  Sweet.

Hey... It's me... tiny.  😉

The crowds got me to go as well... There's always tomorrow! 😁

Mahalo.

Edited by lonbordin
I'm like a wee elf spreading hardbooting cheer.

Happy New Year!  

Join us for what will most likely be the coolest and most fun carving session of 2019!  We have rented an entire ski area and will have the whole place to ourselves!  All skill levels of carvers are welcome!  This is the time and place to ride without worrying about getting hit from behind, and to meet lots of like minded carvers!  We will be having 2 carving clinics (Thank You Corey!) so you can progress your skills.  One of the really cool things about this kind of session it that you can see lots of different styles and techniques!  Take the parts that work for you and have fun with it!  

We will have an event photographer that will be capturing the entire event and will be sharing photos with all participants!  

Cheers and Happy New Year!

71D87143-E71F-4C87-A5C0-66251328D093.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

What are the typical snow conditions at Turner in February?  I’m pulling out the vintage boards I’ll be riding and they need a base grind.  I imagine it’s a dry snow, that would require a fine structure is that correct??

I’m I’m SoCal so not sure if I can find a shop that can do fine structure.  If not is it better to run no structure? Or a medium course for Montucky snow? 

Oh yeah, I’m gonna order wax.  What would be a safe bet for snow temp?

Ha ha ha... you ask like I have ever had a professional tune.. never have had a board ground either.. sorry but I have no idea.. I think @johnasmo has some Coilers with over 1,000,000 vertical feet on them without a grind or pro tune.

I usually use a 50/50 mixture of blue & purple bulk swix wax, knock the big chunks off the edges and ride.

15-30 degrees F would be normal.  

Turner is pretty low elevation and I have seen everything from very wet snow to really dry and fluffy that time of year.

Save some cash and just wax with a good all temp wax.  

Thank you for supporting this event! Things are shaping up very nicely! 

27 minutes ago, dredman said:

Ha ha ha... you ask like I have ever had a professional tune.. never have had a board ground either.. sorry but I have no idea.. I think @johnasmo has some Coilers with over 1,000,000 vertical feet on them without a grind or pro tune.

I usually use a 50/50 mixture of blue & purple bulk swix wax, knock the big chunks off the edges and ride.

15-30 degrees F would be normal.  

Turner is pretty low elevation and I have seen everything from very wet snow to really dry and fluffy that time of year.

Save some cash and just wax with a good all temp wax.  

Thank you for supporting this event! Things are shaping up very nicely! 

I like your style Dred!!  

I had a pro tune once back in 2008???  I have to admit I saw the base after a stone grind and was blown away.... I spent years hand planing my base’s at home and realized I had been wasting my time. It was gorgeous.  

I figured the snow could be all over the spectrum,  thanks for the wax advice.  Will do!!

gettin so excited for this.  Glad to hear it’s shaping up.  Looks like they are getting good snow right now!!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jcar said:

Is Coiler going to have boards for demo??

Bruce said he would send some out.

@jburk that one is difficult, the post updates all over the place, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and occasionally on their web page.. too hard of a moving target.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1