Note to New Members ×

Carving on the steeps

patmoore

Steeps are just a matter of wrapping your mind around going a little airborne, short turns, and the right stuff.  Big, stiff boards, and long GS turns are not de rigueur.  Looks like fun.

Been of the opinion that shortest, lightest tool to do the task effectively is the best tool. YMMV

Nice job by the rider.  Thanks for posting.

Cool video!  Steeps rock.  They bring apprehension and a resulting focus that make me really appreciate this silly sport we do.  Aztec was awesome in Aspen in February!  

He has the same asymmetry that I struggle with, while simultaneously being way better.  Note his toeside turns generally engage the uphill edge while going almost across the fall line, while there's a big rotation before the heelside engages.  The toeside turn is finished early and the heelside is finished across the fall line.  

I just can't throw myself diagonally down the hill going toeside to heelside and catch it as reliably as I can from heelside to toeside.  Still working on it & landing on my hip more than I'd like.  

Edited to add: I like slightly bigger sidecuts, like an EC board, on steeps.  The little ones (like an MK) are stupidly fun too but you build up so much energy that sometimes you get bucked or crumple under the loads.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2018 at 12:53 AM, west carven said:

howdy

here's more on Kohei Kawaguchi on some steep stuff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-IhVK-aAwc

Impressive riding and very  professional videography!

On 8/16/2018 at 7:16 PM, jburk said:

Some of my favourite steeps riding to watch is this guy, especially at around 2:19 and 3:09:

Sweet!  Got a new knee three months ago and I'm inspired to get out on my Madd or maybe the new Kessler.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/31/2018 at 3:37 PM, pow4ever said:

Pinging @johnasmo

SES 2010 Ruthie's doesn't play any more due to music copy right.  It's an awesome video.
Can it be made available if possible? 

this will help to held us over 🙂

Hmm...  Plays for me when I'm logged in to YouTube.  They must figure the creator already has the music.  YouTube's agreements with music publishers seems to change every few years.  My soundtracks come and go.  They used to just silence the audio; kinda harsh to block the whole thing.  Oh well.  I could create a vimeo account, or wait out their next deal.  Or re-cut it with a new soundtrack... but that just wouldn't be the same.

• Thanks 1

On 8/16/2018 at 5:43 PM, Corey said:

... He has the same asymmetry that I struggle with, while simultaneously being way better.  Note his toeside turns generally engage the uphill edge while going almost across the fall line, while there's a big rotation before the heelside engages.  The toeside turn is finished early and the heelside is finished across the fall line.  ... 

Impressive stuff, of course, and I like that better than the  diving for the snow stuff which is common here.

I'm just being picky, but now you point it out, I really don't like the action on the heelside that much, it doesn't quite flow as well as the other side. The aerial angles around 1:10 show that lack of flow.

for me, the adrenaline rush of starting toeside and throwing your front shoulder over the heel edge straight down the falline of a 45* mountain slope and having that heel edge come around to stand you back upright has only been surpassed by dropping cliffs into fresh deep pow:eek:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, johnasmo said:

Hmm...  Plays for me when I'm logged in to YouTube.  They must figure the creator already has the music.  YouTube's agreements with music publishers seems to change every few years.  My soundtracks come and go.  They used to just silence the audio; kinda harsh to block the whole thing.  Oh well.  I could create a vimeo account, or wait out their next deal.  Or re-cut it with a new soundtrack... but that just wouldn't be the same.

Thank you John!  That clip have been on my watch list during the summer blue for a while!
You got bigger fish to fry now 🙂
Can't wait to see the MCC clips.

On 8/16/2018 at 12:43 PM, Corey said:

He has the same asymmetry that I struggle with, while simultaneously being way better.  Note his toeside turns generally engage the uphill edge while going almost across the fall line, while there's a big rotation before the heelside engages.  The toeside turn is finished early and the heelside is finished across the fall line.  

I just can't throw myself diagonally down the hill going toeside to heelside and catch it as reliably as I can from heelside to toeside.  Still working on it & landing on my hip more than I'd like.  

He may well be pushing the limits of how much he can shape his turns on his toe side to control speed at that pitch. Heel sides will naturally be more powerful as the body naturally angulates that way; no need to twist at the waist to get power to the edge like on a toe side.   The rotation of the board before he engages the heel side looks like a technique he’s using to control speed and to get him going across the hill more.  Don’t think that kind of pivoting would be possible on toe side given the forces he’s dealing with.

I think I would be maxing out what I could do on both sides of my turns to make it out alive!   Never mind symmetry in my turns, I just want my body parts to be symmetrical when I get to the bottom! 

Your comment about throwing from heel to toe and vice versa was interesting;  I'm sort of the opposite.  When I pop a board (with a bit of air) during transitions at speed, it feels much more natural and confident to do on a toe to heel side turn.  This is particularly true when transitioning directly into a high edge angle.   If I do pop into a toe side, it will generally be at lower speed or I will tend to land flatter at first; if I try to land it in an angulated position it is more likely to stress out my lower back.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Gabe T said:

He may well be pushing the limits of how much he can shape his turns on his toe side to control speed at that pitch. Heel sides will naturally be more powerful as the body naturally angulates that way; no need to twist at the waist to get power to the edge like on a toe side.   The rotation of the board before he engages the heel side looks like a technique he’s using to control speed and to get him going across the hill more.  Don’t think that kind of pivoting would be possible on toe side given the forces he’s dealing with.

I think I would be maxing out what I could do on both sides of my turns to make it out alive!   Never mind symmetry in my turns, I just want my body parts to be symmetrical when I get to the bottom! 

Your comment about throwing from heel to toe and vice versa was interesting;  I'm sort of the opposite.  When I pop a board (with a bit of air) during transitions at speed, it feels much more natural and confident to do on a toe to heel side turn.  This is particularly true when transitioning directly into a high edge angle.   If I do pop into a toe side, it will generally be at lower speed or I will tend to land flatter at first; if I try to land it in an angulated position it is more likely to stress out my lower back.

He looks to ride similarly in most conditions... he is an FIS level competitor after all... to me he looks like he's racing (jump turning) most of the time.
https://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/kohei-kawaguchi-of-japan-competes-in-the-mens-parallel-news-photo/464724558