Note to New Members ×

short & fat

xy9ine

all this hot weather has me longing for cooler days again. i'm fully committed to softboot carving currently, stoked on the slashy / surf style / new school japanese stuff that's going on. short, wide swallowtail shapes are kinda hot. powder happy, turny shapes that can rail an edge. boards like the k2 cool bean & jones storm chaser are piquing my interest (there's other more exotic examples out there, but looking at somewhat affordable examples). anyone have experience on these shapes that can attest to their carving ability (i'm going to assume they're more than adequate in the fresh)?  

it's pretty! looking for something wider though. squash is 255; jones is 275, bean is 287. want square-er angles and no boot out. k2 is at the top of the list currently. though is quite short, with a long nose; just concerned there's not quite enough edge there for groomers. 

6 hours ago, xy9ine said:

new school japanese stuff that's going on.

We ride hammerheads for softboot carving here. Swallowtails and surf style are more for powder and softer snow. No one I know in Japan rides a swallowtail or surf style board as their main board. If you really want a Japanese or Korean style board you could check out SG SOUL SURF and MOSS SNOWSTICK if you are interested in a surf style. If you like hammerhead check out GRAY DESPERADO and its variants.

The short fat snowboard style is not a Japanese style thing. I believe it's an American thing. Volume shifting or something?

In saying that, I'm new to it myself. Got a good deal on a 164 SG Soul since most of the Japanese boards are too expensive for me.

Edited by daveo
  • Like 1

alas, seems all the cool japanese shapes are too narrow for we gaijin of more endowed foot size. both of the above are in the 25cm range. i've got a fullbag diamondblade, which is a sick hammerhead softboot carver (with a 265 waist), just looking at a wider carve happy pow playboard as a compliment. 

12 hours ago, xy9ine said:

alas, seems all the cool japanese shapes are too narrow for we gaijin of more endowed foot size. both of the above are in the 25cm range. i've got a fullbag diamondblade, which is a sick hammerhead softboot carver (with a 265 waist), just looking at a wider carve happy pow playboard as a compliment. 

Semi-fat semi-short to complement your Diamond Blade:

The Fullbag Supernaut

• Like 2

On 8/14/2018 at 8:29 PM, daveo said:

We ride hammerheads for softboot carving here. Swallowtails and surf style are more for powder and softer snow. No one I know in Japan rides a swallowtail or surf style board as their main board. If you really want a Japanese or Korean style board you could check out SG SOUL SURF and MOSS SNOWSTICK if you are interested in a surf style. If you like hammerhead check out GRAY DESPERADO and its variants.

The short fat snowboard style is not a Japanese style thing. I believe it's an American thing. Volume shifting or something?

In saying that, I'm new to it myself. Got a good deal on a 164 SG Soul since most of the Japanese boards are too expensive for me.

The characteristics of the hammerhead boards are amazing. I can’t stand the no tail cockroach boards. They even make Rama ride like a tool

On ‎8‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:29 PM, daveo said:

I have been following the snowsurf scene for many years, and I definitely think the short-fat movement/trend was influenced by what was happening in Japan. The american brands just picked up on it and adapted it to their market. Gentemstick, Moss Snowstick, and other smaller brands, have been doing relatively small boards with waist width 26cm and over for awhile. It might not seem that wide nowadays, but the average boot size in Asia is not what it is in North America and Europe.

• Like 1

my initial interest in these shapes was piqued (primarily) by the widths - ie, production boards over 270mm wide, often with a bit of (gasp) camber, and (relatively) stiffer construction. and i like the look of swallowtails (twins are just a waste of length for me as i'm directionally handicapped to forwards only). now if this board was a couple cms wider, i'd already own it (my first board was an antigravity with the same graphic; high nostalgia factor):

2017-2018-GNU-Swallow-Tail-Carver-Snowbo

17 hours ago, slopestar said:

The characteristics of the hammerhead boards are amazing. I can’t stand the no tail cockroach boards. They even make Rama ride like a tool

yeah, love my DB. just looking for a tighter, slashy plaything for plundering pow pockets. and carving in between, of course. 

mig - give the above: lifer vs supernaut? 

22 minutes ago, xy9ine said:

yeah, love my DB. just looking for a tighter, slashy plaything for plundering pow pockets. and carving in between, of course. 

mig - give the above: lifer vs supernaut? 

Through all your posts on this thread you seemed to emphasize more width, shorter, more playfullness, and tighter / more manoeuverable. So I would say Supernaut.

On 8/18/2018 at 1:38 AM, Mig said:

I have been following the snowsurf scene for many years, and I definitely think the short-fat movement/trend was influenced by what was happening in Japan. The american brands just picked up on it and adapted it to their market. Gentemstick, Moss Snowstick, and other smaller brands, have been doing relatively small boards with waist width 26cm and over for awhile. It might not seem that wide nowadays, but the average boot size in Asia is not what it is in North America and Europe.

Yeah gentemstick and moss sure do make some nice surfy boards, but they're not exactly short and/or wide. Something like the 28cm wide, 154 Nitro Quiver Pow is more like it.

IMG_0966.JPG

13 hours ago, daveo said:

Yeah gentemstick and moss sure do make some nice surfy boards, but they're not exactly short and/or wide. Something like the 28cm wide, 154 Nitro Quiver Pow is more like it.

IMG_0966.JPG

The Gentemstick Rocket Fish has been around for longer. And at 145cm with a 29.4cm waist if that is not short and fat, I don’t know what is! ?

Always loved that pic of Tom!!! Still have that catalog!

On 8/19/2018 at 3:46 PM, Mig said:

And at 145cm with a 29.4cm waist if that is not short and fat, I don’t know what is! ?

Danny Devito is... ;D

What do you think of the Korua Shapes boards? Was considering one myself recently but ended up with a hammerhead.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, daveo said:

What do you think of the Korua Shapes boards? Was considering one myself recently but ended up with a hammerhead.

My Fullbag boards are better?!? ??

But honestly, I haven't seen one in real life yet. On paper, some models look interesting to me and from what I have heard, they are on the stiffer side. I would have probably bought a couple to try if I didn't do my own gig. But the one thing I don't like, is that they seem to do the same board over and just change the nose and tail shape. Several models/lengths seem to have the same specs for nose/tail/waist width, sidecut, setback, taper, etc...

Edited by Mig
  • Like 1