Note to New Members ×

Anyone into dune buggies or RZRs?

Carvin' Marvin

I sold my dirt bike and other toys and picked up one of these new-fangled RZR XP 1000 rigs and I am really digging it. It gives me that same primal feeling of excitement and joy that so far only snowboarding has given me. It will absolutely rip a turn like none other so I feel like it fits into the summer carving category.

Anyone else on here in Colorado into it? I'm not super experienced in the matter so it would be nice to pick someone's brain to best avoid rolling it and dying in a flaming heap of metal. 

On 8/11/2018 at 7:54 AM, Eboot said:

pics please!

Had to become a supporting member first! I'll be sure to get some uploaded. I need to spend the morning getting my harnesses installed before taking it out again. Here's a gif of me getting airborne with it though. 

Edited by Carvin' Marvin
Deleted gif for data space
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

After putting 600 miles on it in 5 weeks, flipping it on its side, and almost rolling it down a hill, I'm happy to say I've got a pretty good grasp on this thing now. Powerslides around corners and high speed straights are my favorite, but the dog likes me to keep it under 20 when he comes out.  It's like an off-road corvette.

I've never had so much fun on four wheels.  I'll get my brothers GoPro and get some footage soon. 

IMG_1772.PNG

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Haaaaaaa glorified golf carts! 

Managed a fleet of the things, hate em’!

i love me some sport quads or two wheel time but side by sides are a step below a utility quad for fun. 

That is of course just me, I just never enjoyed the things. No joke, I even like riding a scooter on a turny cul de sac.

the RZR I ended up liking the best was the little one, slow but would go anywhere just is way more tippy so you have to be careful. 

Part of my dislike is probably that I get great joy out of shifting and despise changing belts!

• 4 months later...

Getting some good air in Utah this week! Carved some good bowls too but neglected to get any video. B3098321-CAA1-49F7-89B2-9C0B7EB31A99.gif.511520cde5908dcd702ca59f97bac0f7.gif

On 11/8/2018 at 8:48 PM, bobdea said:

Haaaaaaa glorified golf carts! 

Managed a fleet of the things, hate em’!

YMMV, Bob. The first iteration of the RZR were glorified golf carts, but the new ones with trailing arm suspension are a huge step up in fun at performance. 

People love to hate the belts but I’ve got 1500 hard miles on my stock belt and they take five whole minutes to change.

I suppose some people are better suited cruising a scooter around the cul de sac. 😉 

Lol, I’m happy on just about anything on two wheels. 

Yes, the newer RZRs are a little better. 

Still don’t like them, I like shifting. Would be happier on a sport quad even. 

All that said they certainly do handle well and have ample power. 

Also, on dunes they’re fine. Where I am it’s all relatively technical trail. 

10 minutes ago, bobdea said:

Also, on dunes they’re fine. Where I am it’s all relatively technical trail. 

I’m with you there. Where we live it’s all fast desert trails and dunes. I took it east one time and would have preferred a moto or quad on every trail.

After getting busted up on the bike a few too many times I really value the roll cage and 5 point harnesses. Plus the wife can tag along now. 

Unfortunately Polaris really cheaps out in some areas that matter like the sprIngs and seatbelts.. A few hundred bucks here and there really makes a huge difference  

The industry seems to be moving away from the belts. The Yamaha and Honda offerings both have proper transmissions, but are out of my price range and are still too large for tight trails. 

Dont get me started on the maintenance though. The wrenching, wrenching, WRENCHING!

2 minutes ago, Carvin' Marvin said:

Dont get me started on the maintenance though. The wrenching, wrenching, WRENCHING!

Yeah! That was a big part of the “hate em’”

had a fleet of them=endless wrenching. 

It was to the point where I had common parts stockpiled, Polaris reps phone # in my phone and ranger XP with a recovery trailer and bunch of field repair goodies. 

All that said, also did some wrenching on a can am, some things were leaps and bounds better than Polaris others though were so ****ing annoying, like late 80s Volkswagen Jetta belts annoying I thought about taking a gas can and match to it to collect the insurance and get something else. 

We had one XP that couldn’t get wet, thought I’d found the issue spent hours re-wiring the thing and replacing a couple doo-dads, it got wet and did the same thing. To be fair, Polaris was great about it, sent us parts on their dime but it was more the man hours involved, sucked. 

32 minutes ago, bobdea said:

had a fleet of them=endless wrenching. 

Stop, you’re giving me anxiety.

I’m sure the yahoos that think they’re Robby Gordon renting them from you caused more than a lions share of aggravation. I drive hard but I mind my Ps and Qs regarding the belt, axles, ball joints, etc. and luckily haven’t broken anything major yet.  I’m sure my tune will change a bit when it’s time to rebuild the shocks and clutches. 

Nice quad and great places for you to ride it. Have to stick to my 1967 Harley  Davidson powered golf cart it's low enough if i hit a sheep i won't  actually drive over it just knock it out of the way . Dog prefers the back to ride in doesn't like big air ! Wondering if your will still be running in 51 years ?

20 hours ago, lowrider said:

Wondering if your will still be running in 51 years ?

Not the way I drive. Given my usual mileage I’m expecting about ten good years out of it.  I’ll likely sell it or trade up before then.

Our dog gets nervous over 20mph or so. We have a harness for him that clips in to the front seat. 

My first dune buggy was a 59  VW beetle chassis with a Karmann Giah  engine  and miles of tubing for the  roll frame. Sold it to purchase a building permit for a business and to this day wished i had borrowed the money instead ! Harness for the dog is a good idea can't remember if i even had seat belts ? Young and invincible in those days. I see lots of young sled heads doing flips on sleds do you think it's possible in a quad ?

On 3/16/2019 at 4:59 PM, lowrider said:

My first dune buggy was a 59  VW beetle chassis with a Karmann Giah  engine  and miles of tubing for the  roll frame. Sold it to purchase a building permit for a business and to this day wished i had borrowed the money instead ! Harness for the dog is a good idea can't remember if i even had seat belts ? Young and invincible in those days. I see lots of young sled heads doing flips on sleds do you think it's possible in a quad ?

Nice!  I'd love to learn to weld and put together one someday.  I'm going to need to see a picture of this golf cart though!  There are some videos online titled the XP1K videos where RJ Anderson (I think) uses a a specially engineered ramp to do a backflip.  The videos are absolutely insane though.