Note to New Members ×

How wide, & angles how high?

SunSurfer

So how wide/narrow does a board have to be to be a skwal? 

And how high do the binding angles have to be to ride "skwal style"?

Me, I'd call any board ridden with both feet at greater than 80 degrees "skwal style" and in its' rightful place here.

Technically speaking I believe any board under 14cm at the waist is classified as a skwal while everything over would be classified as a snowboard.

Purist skwal enthusiats will say that a skwal should be ridden with no binding angles. I myself usually have a very slight angle on my bindings. I also ride with a wide stance, which purists would argue against. 

I had a day this past season where I did some binding adjustments and had too much angle on the front binding and I certainly noticed that something wasn't right both while carving and skating with one foot in.

Only ever had one person (European) that even knew what i was riding. Call anything you want a Skwal and 99.9999999 % of the riding world won't know the difference. You will only see  Skwal riders with a grin from ear to ear no matter what the conditions. And i quietly ask what the hell would Fis know about a Skwal  other than the fact they are too much fun and we shouldn't allow them around professional riders. "There now i feel better !"

• Haha 1

• 4 years later...

So if I have a 14.5 x 185 cm snowboard, can I just put the F2 rider-mounting-flanges at 0 degrees and go almost-skwalling, or is there significantly more magic built into the bones of a skwal that's missing from a narrow snowboard, to the point that I shouldn't bother with this as a method to find out if I like this madness called skwalling?  I've already discovered that I am deeply bitten by this madness called super-narrow snowboarding, next step seems obviously crank those bindings to zero degrees or so and see what happens.  Or do I just do nothing, and wait for an agent of the skwaluminati to contact me in the dead of night?  I feel like I'm joining the French resistance.

Edited by Eastsiiiide

3 hours ago, Eastsiiiide said:

can I just put the F2 rider-mounting-flanges at 0 degrees and go skwalling

Nothing can stop you from doing that. I prefer to have a little angle on rear foot. Don't forget to add some heel and toe lifts to taste.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2023 at 12:56 PM, Eastsiiiide said:

So if I have a 14.5 x 185 cm snowboard, can I just put the F2 rider-mounting-flanges at 0 degrees and go almost-skwalling, or is there significantly more magic built into the bones of a skwal that's missing from a narrow snowboard, to the point that I shouldn't bother with this as a method to find out if I like this madness called skwalling?  I've already discovered that I am deeply bitten by this madness called super-narrow snowboarding, next step seems obviously crank those bindings to zero degrees or so and see what happens.  Or do I just do nothing, and wait for an agent of the skwaluminati to contact me in the dead of night?  I feel like I'm joining the French resistance.

@EastsiiiideYou might want to watch the video linked below to understand why your binding setup might need to be a little different once your binding angles go higher than 60 degrees. In addition to front toe lift and rear heel lift, outward canting may well be helpful.

https://youtu.be/mBTTJMo6Me4

Edited by SunSurfer
  • Thanks 1