Note to New Members ×

One Wheel Carving

softbootsurfer

9 hours ago, charliechocolate said:

spacer.png

It's less likely to be hit-and-miss with tsa if disassembled but still not a guarantee.

Too many, my partner would say, even after wanting to get rid of a few.

trade in a couple of those snowboards and get an XR; quivers man, quivers

• 1 month later...

Considering one of these, if the black Friday deal looks good. Anybody with experience able to compare xr and pint?

I know neither will be the same as laying down a carve, but is one closer to it? Any input about what you would choose, ignoring the cost difference?

• Like 1

If you want something that carves more like a snowboard get the XR. the pint is more like a skateboard under your feet. As a desciptive example, I call my XR eagle1 and the pint sparrow 2, Big carves are more stable and thus more fun on the XR, the pint is more fun in smaller venues, sidewalk maneuverability, and portability.

• Like 1

On 11/18/2019 at 7:24 PM, Lucasgo said:

Considering one of these, if the black Friday deal looks good. Anybody with experience able to compare xr and pint?

I know neither will be the same as laying down a carve, but is one closer to it? Any input about what you would choose, ignoring the cost difference?

I love the quiver, I plan to get another XR and set one up for off road and the other dressed for pavement, but the pint will always have it's place for quick sessions like my seldom used 162 slalom snowboard.

If I could only have one, the XR pushes my 200# up hill better than the pint

spacer.png

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 1

Gorgeous view! Thanks for the input. I was definitely leaning toward xr, as most of my intended rides are packed dirt or grass and the pint just seemed like not enough deck. I'm 6'4, 185, size 11ish and I worried about squirrelly nature of the pint. 

I keep checking their site for black Friday announcements.. but figure if I dropped 1200 on a donek, what, 300 on td3s, same on boots, sometimes a lift ticket, I can sure justify 2000 on a summer board. Just wanted to be sure I'm getting the right one. Been watching videos for years, it's time to pull the trigger. 

• Like 1

carving the streets uphill and straight onto offroad trails for 8-9 months a year is sooo worth $2000. A good board setup gets used 4-5 month a yr, and only when the lifts spin; means I get waaaay more turns on the wheel than the board. Nice to pull it out for a ride  on a whim wherever you go.:eplus2:

• 2 weeks later...

congratulations, welcome to turns all year even when the snow is schite

I rode a trail just out my moms house yesterday in Libby that I haven't been on since my senior year in highschool. ice in the creek. i'll get the pic up soon

Edited by b0ardski
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ezzywave said:

How much lean angle can you guys get on a Onewheel?  Any pictures or videos?

I have a Pint.  I'm thinking of suiting up in full race leathers and exploring its limits.

I tried a 1/4 pipe hit in a wide dirt ditch,(pint) when the board got up the bank beyond 15* it shut down, no pool riding on a onewheel:freak3:

14 minutes ago, pow4ever said:

$2000/ride all year round/no lift ticket This is one mental gymnastics I can get behind lol...
It cost almost the same as my daily driver though.
Craigslist to the rescue 🙂

I am surprise no open source/DIY solution out yet for this.

Lot of firmware refinement from sillycon valley in the future motion products, remember that you are surfing on software, no cheap chinese knockoffs have the rideability and control or durability

52 minutes ago, b0ardski said:

Lot of firmware refinement from sillycon valley in the future motion products, remember that you are surfing on software, no cheap chinese knockoffs have the rideability and control or durability

Not looking for knockoff per se.  Ability to tweak/tinker/optimize instead waiting for SV to "make decision" for me.

example enthusiast such as this:
http://transistor-man.com/flying_nimbus.html

I dabble in tech and believed firmly in Open source/DIY/Maker culture.
Fairly bias list:
John Carmack open source his game engine/level designed and it revolutionized the industrial. 
John Deer tractor running on aftermarket firmware because "rights to fix".
If you are into car Engine management system:  megasquirt(AT mega micro controller based) vs AEM EMS (big $$$$).
sous vide method of cooking used to be $$$ but with DIY/OpenSource; it's democratized.
Same with Drone flight control system.
DIY Segway/hover board and the list goes on and on.
Granted; most of the time DIYer solution is not going to be as polished as the commercial viable product.
To me that open collaboration/tinkering is part of the fun for me personally. 
If people just want to go out and ride/having fun that's cool too in my book.

I like to tinker with stuff + at the end of day I am cheap lol...

• Like 1

Maybe I'm missing something.  Does "carving" on a Onewheel mean just turning left and right while the rider's body stays virtually upright? 

This is what I see in every youtube video I've watched.

Is it not possible for even the experts to really lean into a turn like snowboarding?  

• Like 1

you can't lean back like you can on a nice longboard on smooth pavement but I can arch my back and make multiple 40 meter heelside circles in open parking lots  at 14 mph after grocery shopping.

feels pretty good.

and then cruise a dirt trail, the gravel pit and a grass field

Edited by b0ardski

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/18/2019 at 10:24 PM, Lucasgo said:

Xr all the way. I got the pint for my teen and its ok. But very squirrely. Also slower and less range. 

• 2 weeks later...

What is up with this thing???

I bought a Onewheel XR+ because everyone is raving about how radical it is and that it's great exercise.   I have to say I'm quite disappointed.  It's dangerous sure, but not that rad.  Maybe I'm missing something but I wouldn't say this thing carves.  I get more lean and g-force out my longboard, even at slow speeds.

It's like a sideways Segway.  I would hardly call it exercise.  It's kind of fun, but not really exhilarating until you almost crash.  I should have bought a dirtbike...  Way cheaper.

I'll keep practicing, maybe it gets funner when the rider gets better. 

59 minutes ago, crackaddict said:

What is up with this thing???

I bought a Onewheel XR+ because everyone is raving about how radical it is and that it's great exercise.   I have to say I'm quite disappointed.  It's dangerous sure, but not that rad.  Maybe I'm missing something but I wouldn't say this thing carves.  I get more lean and g-force out my longboard, even at slow speeds.

It's like a sideways Segway.  I would hardly call it exercise.  It's kind of fun, but not really exhilarating until you almost crash.  I should have bought a dirtbike...  Way cheaper.

I'll keep practicing, maybe it gets funner when the rider gets better. 

It's gets more fun as you get better, but if you want a lot of lean this aint it. Also anybody that says it's good exercise is probably a couch potato otherwise, it has a motor after all.

It is fun and challenging, the ability of this machine to transition from gravel to cracked rough pavement to grass to dirt single track is beyond compare for a board, I have more fun on dirt trails than on my mt bike, it goes places a long board never could; I live miles from the nearest pavement, let alone smooth pavement. The ability to make turns out my door and down the unpaved rd. , even uphill is a lot of what makes it special. The intuitive control (phuk eskate remotes) is liberating.

I like sideways turns and after buying a pint as well with the thought of traveling with it, the pint does not come close to the oomph pushing me uphill the xr has, will eventually sell the pint and get another xr to set one up for pavement/city riding and one with tread for trails/dirt roads.

How much do you want for it James? I would take it off your hands after I get back to work.

spacer.png

17 minutes ago, b0ardski said:

How much do you want for it James? I would take it off your hands after I get back to work.

Lol...  I think I'll keep it for the summer.  It's a decent choice for following my four year old around on her bike, and towing her on her skateboard.    The upside is that I look pretty cool riding it, it turns a lot of heads.   But I'm open to offers.  It's only got 20km on it, comes with side handle and fender...

• 3 weeks later...