Note to New Members ×

Total Knee Replacement

patmoore

I tore my right ACL at a skydiving accuracy competition in 1969 and the left one on a NASTAR pacesetting ski run in 2007.  The right one developed  arthritis so bad that toeside turns became very painful this past season.  My five previous knee surgeries were all in the month of May so I opted to do the same for the knee replacement.  All of my ski friends who have had the procedure are happy.  How many of you hardbooters have undergone the procedure and what are your thoughts?

It's been two weeks since my TKR. The staples are gone, I'm done with crutches, canes, etc., and I'm back to driving. It seemed like a shame to let the borrowed walker go to waste so I devised a new use for it to rebuild the quads and abs. Can't wait for next season!!!

Edited by patmoore

Speedy recovery Pat! 

I've got an 80 year old ski and tennis friend, who replaced both simultaneously, quite a few years ago. He's very happy and still plays both sports. Although, hes suffering from bad ankles, now. 

Another, much younger friend has replaced one knee, just recently. She has been hit by car, as a teen, and suffered ever since. She seems to be recovering very quickly, walks just fine and is back to work. 

My dad needs to do both in near future... 

I had a partial 7 or 8 years ago.  Medial side.  I know this is a discussion on a full knee, but the Mako Knee Procedure is pretty fabulous.  I'm boarding bumps hard at least 50 days a year, and it has worked beyond by expectations.  Here's a link.

http://www.daleymd.com/mako-robotic-total-knee-replacement.html

7 hours ago, bumpyride said:

I had a partial 7 or 8 years ago.  Medial side.  I know this is a discussion on a full knee, but the Mako Knee Procedure is pretty fabulous.  I'm boarding bumps hard at least 50 days a year, and it has worked beyond by expectations.  Here's a link.

http://www.daleymd.com/mako-robotic-total-knee-replacement.html

On 6/1/2018 at 10:59 AM, patmoore said:

I tore my right ACL at a skydiving accuracy competition in 1969 and the left one on a NASTAR pacesetting ski run in 2007.  The right one developed  arthritis so bad that toeside turns became very painful this past season.  My five previous knee surgeries were all in the month of May so I opted to do the same for the knee replacement.  All of my ski friends who have had the procedure are happy.  How many of you hardbooters have undergone the procedure and what are your thoughts?

It's been two weeks since my TKR. The staples are gone, I'm done with crutches, canes, etc., and I'm back to driving. It seemed like a shame to let the borrowed walker go to waste so I devised a new use for it to rebuild the quads and abs. Can't wait for next season!!!

Hi Pat,

Glad you are doing well. As you know, I had my right knee replaced mid September 2017. I was going to wait until January, but decided to try riding in December. Took it slow (Kessler SL) the first few days. Only skied 7 and snowboarded 34 days this season, mainly due to snow conditions. I have retired from racing, because I don't think pushing it on a rutted hard course would be a good idea if you are trying to make the knee last for 20 years. Also doing more soft boot carving as it seems to be easier on the knee. 

Asked my ortho dr. which would be better, skiing or riding. He said he didn't know because he didn't ski and try out both and see what feels better. I would say that skiing feels the worst, hardboot carving  in the middle, and softboot carving the best. Of course riding the snowboard in powder is the very best. Did 2 days cat sking and 3 days snowboarding in BC in March and had a great time. 

Good luck with your recovery Pat!

Thanks Arne,

I do hope to get back into racing form on both skis and boards.  I did manage to win our 500-member ski club's Club Championship this year (at age 71, the oldest champ in club history) but the knee was keeping me from really getting low at the gates. I just bought a Kessler GS board so I'm really looking forward to next season.  It's encouraging that you were able to get back on snow so quickly.

I'd suggest to anyone who has been told that their knee, or other joint, is "bone on bone " and must have surgery that they should consult with Dr. Dan Henderson, a Kirkland, WA, Dr. in a large orthopaedic group.  Dan specializes in stem cell therapy.

Hey Pat. 

I am one of those guys with a bit of titanium in me. Total hip in May of 2014. That went so well that I was tearing up the bumps and carving by January of 2015. I have had two acls on my right knee and it started to flare up in intense pain every good day that I had. One time it was so bad I almost went to the ER to manage the pain. So that was it. In May of 2015 I had the total knee on the right. 

Seven weeks later I led a 7 day wilderness class 4 high water river trip. It was my permit so I had to go right? It was still swollen and sore a bit in the soft tissue and I iced while on the river. My friends just wanted to drag me behind the boat, but I like the site specificness of using ice. 

I was able to snowboard pretty hard that first winter. Early in the year ( just six months post op)  I hit a mountain bike trail at speed....and wasn't able to suck up all the compression. Did a long slow over the nose and stretched everything out pretty good, but I recovered pretty quick. In 2016-2017 I felt like I was really there physically and this last winter I completely forgot about it. I can still feel something in my left hip that I had the hip done on long heel side traverses More of a weird burn than pain. I spend a lot of time in the bumps this last winter and rocked it pretty good. 

I try to hike and bike all summer and fall and I am back in the gym in the fall for more weight type PT. The biggest thing this last winter that worked was lots and lots of stretching and a foam roller. Particularly on the IT bands. I had some knee cap tracking issues in the new knee and as painful as the foam roller was to start it completely eliminated that pain. 

Keep up the PT and see you on snow this winter.