Note to New Members ×

music

FrankNBeans

Bolero is awesome.

Late to the party again, but this past winter I came across Animal Liberation Orchestra, a.k.a. ALO.  Nevermind the name, and they're not an orchestra, but they're my new favorite band. Kind of like Phish doing adult contemporary.

• Like 1

Modern reggae fills my helmet most days.( Iration, Rebelution, Stick Figure, Dirty Heads, amongst others. Pandora/The Polish Ambassador Channel...modern techno with jazz/funk roots. And when particularly snarky... Rage Against the Machine on 11

I have an eclectic mix in my iPod, from 80's rap/rock to today's pop.  I have it quiet enough that I can barely hear it over the wind noise while riding.  It's more for the chair ride up.  

On that note - I LOVE the iPod Shuffle for riding.  I have it clipped on little loop I sewed into a chest pocket, so it's always in the same orientation.  I can skip/pause/adjust volume without even taking my mitts off because I don't need to access menus or a touch screen.  Headphone cords fail too quickly though when it's cold, usually between my helmet and my jacket collar.  

• Like 1

I would never listen music when riding, i love to hear sounds of skiers before hiting me and/or i love sound of board cutting groome or soft snow spraying around and bird whistling around.

And when going up with lift i rather chat with folks than listen music.

2 hours ago, pokkis said:

I would never listen music when riding, i love to hear sounds of skiers before hiting me and/or i love sound of board cutting groome or soft snow spraying around and bird whistling around.

And when going up with lift i rather chat with folks than listen music.

Some days I rarely ride a chair with another person.  No complaints then, as there are less people to hit me. I immediately turn off my music if I'm sharing a chair.  Even if they're a little annoying, it's only 7 minutes and you might learn something or have a laugh!  If they don't want to talk, the music starts again.  

Once you try riding with music, you realize how loud wind noise is.  I can barely tell music is playing when riding, but still need to turn it off if someone is talking to me in the lift line.  I'm not missing anything around me when in motion.  

Key tip: There are positions on the volume dial between 'off' and 11.  ?  

spinal-tap-poster.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My helmet tunes are more ambient like Corey described. Earbuds or over ear headphones tune everything out. Mine are away from the ear so ambient noise is just as loud as the music. I remember surfing in the Pacific Northwest and using a hooded wetsuit with earplugs. Talk about tuned out. I hated not hearing what was happening around me. That said. Tunes over the rest. And On lifts, I’m chatty Patty

On 5/31/2018 at 7:32 AM, Jack Michaud said:

Bolero is awesome.

Late to the party again, but this past winter I came across Animal Liberation Orchestra, a.k.a. ALO.  Nevermind the name, and they're not an orchestra, but they're my new favorite band. Kind of like Phish doing adult contemporary.

+1 on A.L.O.   Here's a clip featuring Jack Johnson.  Zack Gill records and tours with Jack Johnson.

Edited by Pat Donnelly
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, FrankNBeans said:

Links no worky? in the original post,but do in my quote

Interesting

On 6/1/2018 at 7:46 AM, FrankNBeans said:

On 6/2/2018 at 3:39 AM, Pat Donnelly said:

+1 on A.L.O.   Here's a clip featuring Jack Johnson.  Zack Gill records and tours with Jack Johnson.

I remember this song. Never knew it was by ALO though. I remember it was on a Jack Johnson compilation called The Mango Tree from 2006. Well, that's what folder it is in in my music folder ?

Lately I've been listening to some of the good old LoFi

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw3UYy02lSI

Edited by daveo

2 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

the volume required to overcome wind noise while riding would make it worse.

Completely agree!  I tried it but didn't like it that loud.  I may as well put on horse blinders too.  

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRxwwuhKhXu_HPAgBx0CMw

I always have my music playing to make the non-riding moments more entertaining.  

• Haha 1

I have had Tinnitis for years, like jets taking off mainly in the left ear, had to use waves breaking on the shore played through a small speaker embedded in my pillow to get back to sleep in the late, calm, quiet hours of night, the constant sound at times is quite maddening and hard to deal with...I realized to late, that construction was detrimental to your hearing, what with sledge hammers on steel columns to running a skillsaw right next to your ears for years was a no no...I use an iPod with music to masque the tinnitus when I am riding...plus for pow and or Carving on groom it gets me in Rhythm...most of us use music to Dance ? I wear a helmet and even with music playing I have no trouble hearing the edges Carving the snow...

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2018 at 9:36 PM, softbootsurfer said:

Michael moved on awhile ago...but back long ago we had a run...man he could play the harp and I would dumb strum some blues...our favorite song was Mississippi Mud and after a few we sounded great...? 

These folks here play some Music... :biggthump

Not bad.... Shame they couldn't have just shot it where they recorded it.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, FrankNBeans said:

I was in the garage doing knee PT and a few golden oldies played on my ipod. I saw three of the bands decades ago and they were fantastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhZoUFWfL3I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n28gOslMc_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydqAbLLAlLc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeFr4_CADp4

Nice.

Rancid took me back to our wedding at the Colombine country club back in  95, after some social d and rancid, the pit was really getting going when my mother in law shut it down. My bride was having a blast being passed around in different whips..... The only whirling around and had done previously was spin dancing at dead shows... Good times

Mario

Edited by big mario

• 2 weeks later...

While at my desk job I like instrumental electronic trancy stuff like Tycho, Emancipator, Ryan Farish, Lemon Jelly, Thievery Corporation, etc.  Here's my Pandora station for that stuff:

https://www.pandora.com/station/play/3573898297705615876

and then this one borders on EDM with Kaskade, Deadmau5, etc.

https://www.pandora.com/station/play/2458254669686624772

By the way after spending significant time on both services I've concluded that Pandora's radio algorithm is far superior to Spotify's.  Not only does it seem to have better variety, but it also seems to be more "accurate" as to determining what songs sound good together in a station.

20 hours ago, Jack Michaud said:

While at my desk job I like instrumental electronic trancy stuff like Tycho, Emancipator, Ryan Farish, Thievery Corporation, etc. 

Thievery Corporation is amazing.  Sets that they did in D.C. Martini bars about 15 or 20 years ago are legendary around here.   The Persian influenced stuff with Loulou are my favorites.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, davekempmeister said:

very representative of any of their live performances.   very refined sound and amazing musicians, all of them.

One of my all time favorite bands.  First heard them while boarding with a Tele, Soft Booter, Alpine Skier, and a Randonnee' at Jackson Hole.  Like the band, it just clicked, with all different styles all meshing together.

• Like 1

In another lifetime, I spent a summer as a bouncer/barback as my social job at the legendary Green Parrot Rock Club on the jersey shore. One night I asked the Bart, the Dj, to play me some Ska. He was an even bigger smart ass than myself, and his reply was this:

It was AWESOME!! laughed my ass off and never asked again

Edited by big mario
I know its 2nd wave,but it still rocks