Note to New Members ×

Retail therapy, the Forum and living vicariously

Eboot

So the snow was no more leaving behind a hole and both active and promises of warmer activities were not filling it.  The Forum however continued to provide some measure of continuity, and the long summer seemed ... ok.  Then I ordered a new board and everything changed.  I have not been so excited by a material purchase in the longest time.  This purchase has bridged my season taking me forward mentally.  The idea of discussing specs, finding a new binding and anticipation of delivery fills the future. Interesting.  I think that for me this is the result of catering to a purely selfish activity that adds to my own life quality.

Winter is coming!

• Like 1

Nah, just consider flying south for the summer.

Planned opening dates for some NZ fields from mid June, with the best snow in August (Junior World Snowboard Champs @  Cardrona, NZ end of August 2018). Then there's South America for another source of quality snow.  The Aussies have mountains that get snow but an awful lot of them come here for their Southern Hemisphere winter fix.

I'm riding Cardrona +/- Treble Cone between 9th and 23rd August this year, before a couple of days in Queenstown. Paid for a couple of extra checked bags so will have between 6-8 boards + isolation/isocline plates with me.

Edited by SunSurfer
Add detail
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, barryj said:

Yeah.............so happy to see Bomber will have a Resurrection..... but OMG  :freak3: can't get my retail therapy fix having to wait until next Fall for gear!    it's Torture! 

Have you considered ANOTHER new board?  ?

22 minutes ago, Jack Michaud said:

I feel your pain.  Custom Kessler Alpine 175 shipping this week.  205mm waist, 10-14m sidecut.  The struggle is real.

Like the specs for a tamed down ECer...should cover a lot of bases and, just possibly, be a 10 for a do everything carving stick, but you're an actual serious racer, aren't you?

16 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

Like the specs for a tamed down ECer...should cover a lot of bases and, just possibly, be a 10 for a do everything carving stick, but you're an actual serious racer, aren't you?

Sort of.  I do weekly beer league which is Nastar, on a competitive team, and then I'll do USASA Maine Mountain Series if it works with my schedule.  I use my 168 for SL and 180 for GS and I don't have a plate so I guess I can't be called serious.  Oh and I use Bomber bindings, so I'm definitely not serious. ? I've been at the top of some podiums in open class, and I had a great Nastar season this past winter.  I'm considering an Apex X-Plate for next year.  EC boards are typically wider, like 23cm waist.  Indeed this will be a do-everything, go-to board.  It will replace my Nirvana Energy 174/20/12-14, which is an awesome board too, but I'm just playing the field, so to speak.

14 hours ago, 1xsculler said:

I hope Jack posts full specs, rational for those custom specs and an image when he gets the new Kessler in hand.

I told Kessler I love my 168, so I want this board to be like that board, only 7cm longer and 2m longer in radius range.  205mm waist just because.  I've had 21cm boards and 20cm boards, figured I'd try the middle.

Currently saving for a Donek flux for next season haven't spoken to anyone spec's wise but coming from my SG i want a significantly stiffer nose as i tend to over power it and bend it way to much on the initiation of a turn. Width ill probably go 30 or 31cm as the 27.5cm of the SG isnt quite enough. I am having fun working out what i want to do with the graphic on the top sheet ill probably go for a variation of this with a few alterations here and there, ill probably put Donek written in the rope that the rams head is tied in so it fits with the graphic. itll be a few months before i'm ready to pull the trigger so plenty of time to redraw and change things until then ?

DX5eNzR.jpg

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Colozeus said:

I’m having bruce build me one or two boards over the summer. But, I’m moving into a new house and ill be building out a home theater. That will keep me busy for a while!

Just 1 or 2???  ?

good luck with the new house.  Busy indeed.

I have ordered an Angrry 160 from Bruce, also to be built over the summer.  Not sure whether to go with the angry rose lady (availability not yet answered) or red lava. Original Graphic design is not one of my strengths.

On 5/6/2018 at 9:11 AM, Eboot said:

Have you considered ANOTHER new board?  ?

Ha!  I can't keep the five I got totally outfitted!     Without a Bomber source I've had to cannibalize to keep three running at once!                              The Kessler needs BP cant disks and BP E-rings,  The Coiler EC needs a TD3 base plate and the Moss PQ60 needs a TD3 base plate.

............But after being able to demo a pre production Alloy D.O. 161, (review below? ) I'm gonna throw down for the D.O. 165!  I'd say it's rides a lot like I'd expect a Coiler Angry to handle, it's a quick edge to edge, wide, stable, very aggressive looking and riding!  A real plug and play turny little bandit!!   

Edited by barryj

I have a couple Coilers on order too. A Revelation and another EC board. The thought of Bruce getting out of the business in a few years makes me sad...

I've bought a few boards that showed up days after the end of the season. I didn't like that! Much of the enthusiasm was gone by the time I got to ride them 8 months later. (short riding season here)

4 hours ago, barryj said:

I can't keep the five I got totally outfitted!     Without a Bomber source I've had to cannibalize to keep three running at once

Don't you run the same angles on everything? Just pull the 4x4 bolts and swap to the next board. I have bindings set for 20 and 22cm waist widths; they just swap around the various boards as needed. If you always have the same angles, that's even easier! Just mark where the bindings go on the topsheet so there's no measuring or trying to remember. 

5 hours ago, Corey said:

Just pull the 4x4 bolts and swap to the next board

Yeah.....   that's what I've been doing all season!..........I've done it so much this season I got screws with almost striped heads!

I still need New parts for the other two sets of bindings to Not have to do that!

Edited by barryj

17 hours ago, scottishsurfer said:

Currently saving for a Donek flux for next season haven't spoken to anyone spec's wise but coming from my SG i want a significantly stiffer nose as i tend to over power it and bend it way to much on the initiation of a turn. Width ill probably go 30 or 31cm as the 27.5cm of the SG isnt quite enough. I am having fun working out what i want to do with the graphic on the top sheet ill probably go for a variation of this with a few alterations here and there, ill probably put Donek written in the rope that the rams head is tied in so it fits with the graphic. itll be a few months before i'm ready to pull the trigger so plenty of time to redraw and change things until then ?

DX5eNzR.jpg

sick. love everything about this board.