Note to New Members ×

Sunshine March 21-24

CarveAlbertaToMe

7 hours ago, garybergmann said:

I'll be at Nakiska on the 24th...

Update: the snow conditions in Sunshine Village are terrible, so there's no point to invite people. The last decent patch of snow is in Mount Standish, and even that isn't consistent enough to commit to a good turn.

Do you expect Nakiska to be better? 

Edit: I'll go to Nakiska tomorrow and let you know how it goes. 

Edited by CarveAlbertaToMe

14 hours ago, Allee said:

I was at Nakiska last weekend, and they had a inch of fresh over the top of bulletproof. Melt and freeze  in full effect. It's been warm up there this week, so I'd expect more of the same unless they get snow today.

It was hard pack in the morning but then softened up in the afternoonThey got about an inch of fresh snow during the day, hopefully more tomorrow. The conditions today in Nakiska were far better than Sunshine was 2 days ago. I got some good turns in. 

3 hours ago, philw said:

I was kind of boycotting it because of Scurfield, but actually, now you mention it... tomorrow's the 23rd and I should be there then maybe the next few days, although I may go to LL...

I don't know who/what Scurfield is. Care to enlighten me? I'm planning to visit Nikiska the next 2 days, so hopefully I'll see you there. There's a storm bringing over a foot of snow to Sunshine on Saturday evening, so I'm planning to go there on Sunday. 

2 hours ago, philw said:

(reads the whole thread, and finishes a couple of pints of "Grizzily Paw" in the Banff Springs...  "terrible"? That's not sounding good. In what way?  

Sunshine has become one giant mogul with mogul acne everywhere. 

20180322_154741.jpg

FB_IMG_1521779965918.jpg

Edited by CarveAlbertaToMe

Scurfield: old news. The family which owned the place had a big safety-related falling out a few years ago relating to the owner's son not having to obey avalanche safety rules, allegedly. Ancient news. I'll check Sunshine out today, looks like a bit of fresh here (Banff) this morning. I don't mind moguls in the right condition.. 

Here's a phone image from Sunshine today, showing it to be mostly sunny and quiet. No lift lines, pretty laid back. Some powdery sections first thing (there was 5-10cm on the access road), but mostly soft and friendly bumps. So for me that's perfect - I'm not looking for powder here. The bumps were just mega - various sizes to choose from, all on quiet runs, and all nice and soft thanks to the fresh snow. I did all the lines I could find on Goat's Eye and they were all good.

The park seemed empty, although it was where it was coldest. I think that may be going the way of the half pipe though - a once fashionable thing which came and went.

Didn't see anyone else on hard boots, although I did see another Kessler (albeit one with rounded corners) with hard bindings on it... not sure whose it was however. 

Oh yeah, they say that the lifts are open from 08:00 or some such, which was when I turned up. I followed the plough and got a great parking space.. then got up to the top where everything was shut. I kicked my heels for an hour until they started to run the upper lifts... it was at least 09:00 before that happened. I guess I could lap the base gondola, but that is a road... so tomorrow I'll have a worse car parking space but I'll spend more time drinking coffee in Banff and less up there...

DSC_0123.thumb.JPG.61e6ee15a63e21ff51929e1d48273429.JPG

Today (Saturday) was similar to yesterday, except without the benefit of the 10cms of fresh and with less wind. So most of everything in condition.

I note that they ticketed about 1 in 10 of the vehicles in the Sunshine car park for not having a Banff Park Pass. They looked like local vehicles, so I'm surprised they didn't know about that. The park service probably nailed thousands of people at the expense of one guy who just had to walk past all those cars.

Someone who claimed to know suggested that there's 10-15cm forecast over night, more in Sunshine than there will be in LL. However I'm done with Sunshine for now, so tomorrow I'll play in Lake Louise and then I'm heading to Golden, Revelstoke.... 

It's super disappointing how little snow came down. A few days ago it was forecasted that Sunshine will receive 36 cm, then that got downgraded to 32 cm, and now 12 cm. Sunshine wasn't too bad today, but I was expecting a small powder day. Nakiska is also expecting 12 cm, and it's the last day of my vacation, so going there will save me about 40 minutes drive. Until next time! Have fun!

;-) Just arrived in Golden.

It's like the Golden I remember from 1989. Except they're open also on Thursdays now (insider joke) and they built a big road and a  bunch of real estate and... you can just about see the bones of the old Whitetooth, I think, but it's going to be fun tomorrow riding stuff I heli-boarded in over-the-head powder years ago which is now hard-packed piste. I guess the local heli operator probably doesn't fly down the pistes at tree top level any more ;-)

On the other hand, accommodation here is less than half the price if the Banff Springs and about twice the quality/ area. There you go. 

Here's a shot of LL from today.

Thanks for the contacts - I'll see how it works out.

DSC_0139 (1).JPG

Edited by philw
Try a bigger (but still garbage mobile phone) image
  • Like 1

On 3/25/2018 at 7:37 PM, philw said:

;-) Just arrived in Golden.

It's like the Golden I remember from 1989. Except they're open also on Thursdays now (insider joke) and they built a big road and a  bunch of real estate and... you can just about see the bones of the old Whitetooth, I think, but it's going to be fun tomorrow riding stuff I heli-boarded in over-the-head powder years ago which is now hard-packed piste. I guess the local heli operator probably doesn't fly down the pistes at tree top level any more ;-)

On the other hand, accommodation here is less than half the price if the Banff Springs and about twice the quality/ area. There you go. 

Here's a shot of LL from today.

Thanks for the contacts - I'll see how it works out.

DSC_0139 (1).JPG

Majestic mountains! Please post more pics of your travels through BC.