Note to New Members ×

Powder and Hard boots

wjholm

21 minutes ago, Corey said:

That's what I do! I don't ride powder often enough to get fancy.

That's why I converted my f2 race to titanflex

22 minutes ago, Corey said:

I did decrease the forward lean on my boots. 

What forward learn did you put yours to? And what angles were you running?

If in my Dee-lux 325's, and knowing that soft snow abounds ( though, for me, in those nooks my O-Sin or Tanker can get to ), I will swap tongues to soften said boot flex, then ( not using a RAB ) take the 5 position slider, flip the lever to 'walk or driving-a-stick', but turn the knob 90* as the make the cuff stop on forward-lean of "3". DISCLAIMER ALERT! (Oh, and DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR IN THESE BOOTS. Not while sober. Badness ensues, and snowbanks appear suddenly while you're stuck on the gas and in the wrong gear. Been known to bend VW's in ways not intended by the manufacturer.) But, yeah, having that ankle flex and 'soft touch' is key to getting Flat-to-the-snow long enough to Float for Speed. If you Edge too much, you simply sink to a slowed death. A tactic I have used since, well, having 3 instead of 2 fins, is to guide in rotation/steering with the Front Foot, and use the Rear Foot for Pressure/Edging. This works even If your board doesn't "twist" torsionally, just by the timing of the seperate efforts involved ( and works really well on a finned Backhill! , too ). Geez, anyone got the ISM Mag with 'Roots' on the title of the cover?? Gave my last copy to Mr. Barfoot, but there was a great explanation in that from Jim Zellers on Hardboot-in-pow riding! (Plus, it's my only pic in a major mag .. I would be willing to trade for a copy)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, daveo said:

What forward learn did you put yours to? And what angles were you running?

I normally am locked into the middle hole of UPZs. It felt too forward in powder - I could feel the rear of the cuff all the time and never the tongue so I went one click more upright and never felt my cuffs again. 

I turned my rear binding to get just a little overhang. Around 35 degrees or so. Then added 10 for the front. 

I'm not a powerful or smooth rider in powder though, so consult with others. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

there was a great explanation in that from Jim Zellers on Hardboot-in-pow riding!

I would love to read that, Burt and Zellers were my board heroes when the sorel crowd was cutting off the tips using 26" stances to spin faster

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Corey said:

That's what I do! I don't ride powder often enough to get fancy. 

I just leave my TD3 cant rings in place and rotate the baseplates to the right angle for the wider powder board. 

I did decrease the forward lean on my boots. 

You've been missing out. The above mentioned RS are cheap enough that you don't need to justify (much). A lot lighter too. 

I took a leap of faith this year and bought a Nitro Quiver Squash.  I searched for several years for boards that I thought would fit the bill.  I ran across the Quiver series from Nitro.  Board is Medium Stiff, which was a requirement for me, and is cambered with an early rise tip.  Progressive side cut (8m to 7.2m).  It was the narrowest board (251mm waist in the 153 size) in the series, has a significant setback and a swallow tail.  The Squash turns on a dime with little effort.  It's blast in tight trees.  With the short tail, I no longer have to worry about hooking the tail in the bumps, or coming down steep chutes.  Back leg burn is not even a consideration

Coming off the Peak at Big Sky in thigh deep powder, I've never lost sight of the tip.  My trip back into the condo has some very low pitch runs through the trees.  Never had a problem with bogging down in light powder even on such a low pitched slope.

Picture is the Squash compared to the Burton Coil 156 which has been my off piste board for years. The Squash is slightly stiffer than the Coil, turns tighter and really floats.  I no longer think about turning in deep, I just do a slight angular deflection and it turns.

I'm using the F2 Intec (sport I think), and riding my boots in the Walk Mode (and have been doing so for 21 years).  My angles on the Coil for off piste are 66/45, and I had to decrease the angles to 51/30 to compensate for the wider board and increased leverage on the Squash.

The Squash will be in it's own series next year and will be offered in a Split Board, and will also have a Women's model.  I would never hesitate to take this on a Heli trip, and I've had many Heli comparable runs this year at Big Sky.  One day, I was even doing tight figure 8s by my lonesome.  

1.1.jpg

Sunday April 1st  in La Thuile, Italy, Swellpanik Amok 196cm - TD3 - TLT6 fav freeride setup!

Trees, ice, couloirs ( not narrower than 2m of course), steep, deep powder, slush, frozen balls, crust..all but moguls it likes :)

IMG-20180401-WA0063.thumb.jpg.58752d022300c7f7362dd835c22f9e90.jpg

• Like 3

On 3/25/2018 at 12:50 AM, Eric Brammer aka PSR said:

If in my Dee-lux 325's, and knowing that soft snow abounds I will swap tongues to soften said boot flex.....But, yeah, having that ankle flex and 'soft touch' is key to getting Flat-to-the-snow long enough to Float for Speed. If you Edge too much, you simply sink to a slowed death.

I think it was @b0ardski that recommended getting really soft hard boots like the Raichle 123, 223, 323 or 413. Turned out to be really good advice. I got a pair of 323's and I really like them. I like it much better than trying to adapt my carving boots which I found still too stiff laterally when in really deep snow─get a little off balance and you accidently get too much input to the board, and down you go. Although the 323's are way too soft for me to carve with, they are super flexible for soft snow surfing, probably similar to a stiff softboot. 

Plus they can use inec heels for step-ins which is easier to get out of if you fall in the deep stuff. Something like @bumpyride's extension for the step-in release cable would make it even easier.

I'm not sure what the modern day equivalent of those old soft Raichle hardboots would be.

@philw's advice for a board has helped steer me towards a good board─taper, width, set-back and some camber.

651B0301-4EAF-473D-B839-158E0B953BC4.jpeg.e6a68080ee691a92e32fbe3c476ae8fe.jpeg221770C3-1330-4EC3-B42C-3593B69EF182.jpeg.0976019fc6be7310af6983e9bd2cd062.jpeg

Edited by bigwavedave
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, nils said:

Sunday April 1st  in La Thuile, Italy, Swellpanik Amok 196cm - TD3 - TLT6 fav freeride setup!

Trees, ice, couloirs ( not narrower than 2m of course), steep, deep powder, slush, frozen balls, crust..all but moguls it likes :)

Nils, what kind of angles you ride with that setup?

Me too.

My setups for trees, ice, couloirs, steep, deep powder and every kind of snow are:

1) Pogo Shaman 193 (23,5) + Ibex bindings + old Scarpa Avant AT boots .

Once my setup was 49 cm stance/flat and 35°/45° but now I set a 50 cm stance ,  30°/51°,  with Ibex unicant under the rear binding and front binding flat (similar to Pureboarding setup, more stable in different situations, especially in bad snow. 

2) Arbor Steepwater 167 narrow (25,1) + F2 carve RS + La Sportiva Sideral boots (49 cm stance/flat and 30°/40°)

1 hour ago, H2O said:

Me too.

My setups for trees, ice, couloirs, steep, deep powder and every kind of snow are:

1) Pogo Shaman 193 (23,5) + Ibex bindings + old Scarpa Avant AT boots .

Once my setup was 49 cm stance/flat and 35°/45° but now I set a 50 cm stance ,  30°/51°,  with Ibex unicant under the rear binding and front binding flat (similar to Pureboarding setup, more stable in different situations, especially in bad snow. 

2) Arbor Steepwater 167 narrow (25,1) + F2 carve RS + La Sportiva Sideral boots (49 cm stance/flat and 30°/40°)

Good to see you back Pietro,

Have you used RC-8 boots with soft springs for POW condition?  I have been on the boots for few years and loved its versatility for chopped and bumpy conditions too with hard springs. Now, I wonder if I could ride them on pow with soft springs. (One boots to do all. :). )

Edited by piusthedrcarve

1 hour ago, piusthedrcarve said:

Good to see you back Pietro,

Have you used RC-8 boots with soft springs for POW condition?  I have been on the boots for few years and loved its versatility for chopped and bumpy conditions too with hard springs. Now, I wonder if I could ride them on pow with soft springs. (One boots to do all. :). )

Hi, how are you?

I often use RC-8 boots with soft spring  but preferably with my alpine/carving boards as I do not like the soles (very slippery) for freeride where I prefer vibram soles. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pokkis said:

Nils, what kind of angles you ride with that setup?

Depends on what I do..if it gets hairy steep ( 35° or 40 and over) i prefer to have a bit angle because am used to it, and also i feel more confident that my frontside has no overhang..That day I had 42-35 angles. But when it's less steep I just go as low as 30-25..The problem is when u ride in resorts and finally you hit the groomed on the way back, you can't help but want to lay down a few carves...and then overhang can be a drag!

:)

Good question. I've been told it's for avalanches, but I can't really see that myself. That said, it depends why people use leashes{

1. If it's for "safety" whilst dicking with you board before you're clipped in, then it's not really going to be much help to anyone setting up from a heli.
  2. If it's in case the board should "come off" whilst riding (!), then arguably you'd be safer without a leash: less chance of being banged by the board, and separate from it in a slide. But my board will not come off: the boots break first (been there, tried that).

More practically a leash fastened to the board would be a pain in the basket. I suspect they started with a ban on skiers having traditional leashes. and maybe it comes from there. 

For the first time I'm considering softboots. My last powder day was not so fun even when riding a dynastar 3800 163 with old blax bindings ( soft) and my upz in walk mode. Only small-medium moguls of wet snow. Find myself always in counter rotation when my friend was cruising easily on his fullbag board with soft boots.

• Like 1