Note to New Members ×

Powder and Hard boots

wjholm

I have a really good/fun problem....

I just dropped a load of cash to reserve a spot at Great Canadian Heliski for next Feb!!

I am very blessed to live on a ski hill here in the midwest, Granite Peak, WI.  I'm out solo or with the family several times a week - walkin/out from our back yard.  When I moved here about 12 years ago I switched to entirely hardboot and carving  I became obsessed and never really spent much time on skis since.  I didn't even bring skis on my regular trips west, never enough powder days to be worth having another board.  Since booking this trip, I dusted off the soft setup and bought skis.  Several people have suggested that I ski on this helitrip.  Here is the problem------ I don't really feel good in soft boots anymore and skiing isn't really tripping it for me either.

So....????

For those of you with experience, do I buy a new powder board that will work well with plates and hard boots?  Any suggestions??

Do I get better on my skis and use the equipment they will provide?  I've been pleased with how well I'm skiing after being away for so long; I'd be ready by next season.

Or, bring my soft boots and use the boards they have??

I've been told that a snowboard of any variety (except a split) can be a challenge if you get stuck in a traverse or flat!

I'd strongly advise anyone to use the boards the operator provides, or to at least listen carefully to what they say. I wrote some of it.

You can use your hard boots. Take both the bindings and boots. Carry them in your hand luggage as if they get lost there are no spares in Canada. Make sure you know how to set them up on Burton channel boards if that's what they have.

----------------
Any powder board works with hard boots. I've ridden most of Burtons' through the years plus Capita and Prior, Solomon and various others. None of them have any issues which cause problems for hard booters. Personally I'd avoid:

• True reverse-camber boards. If they still make them. A decambered nose is fine, but real reverse camber works well for skis but not really for snowboards.
  • Flat boards. They tend to feel lifeless.
  • "twin" or "true twin". The ones labeled "twin" aren't, but both types are typically compromised for other purposes. 
  • "carving boards"

Look for a directional cambered board with taper and a set-back default stance.

Get the right board, and you'll rip. The boots don't make much difference.

Oh yes, I think mellower angles than that carving forum's people use are good - I ride 45 degrees parallel because it works on what are fairly wide powder boards. Actually I use the same stance on piste too. I generally use the reference stance on a powder board; it's designed for that. The guide should have a cross-head screwdriver if you need to tweak that later.
----

I've been told that a snowboard of any variety (except a split) can be a challenge if you get stuck in a traverse or flat!

Correct. You'll figure it out. Broadly...

1. Hang back a bit so you can see the flats before you're in them. Iif there's a large flat then let everyone else go first to beat it down, then ride their track.
  2. Don't fall over on the flats. So no fancy moves when falling is going to cause you to walk.
  3. If you do cock up, if there's a bit of a skier track you can usually "paddle" through: take one foot out and paddle with it...
  4. Traverses are actually easy (maybe that's the hard boots?) although novices often lose height. Be very wary of getting below a traverse line.
  5. Splits are too slow to really help - no one would want to wait whilst someone converted one of those.
  6. Personally I've never used assistance, but if there's a tail guide they will offer you poles (mostly useless I suspect) and a tow in the worst case. 
  7. If you're unsure then be nice to the guide and tell them, and they'll reciprocate by warning you what's coming. The alternative approach is to treat them poorly, in which case there will be many flats in your day.

I'm heading for Terrace BC with my Dump Truck later this week..

Edited by philw
angles..
  • Like 2

Thanks....

Is it possible to use hardboots with the Burton channel boards?  They are using Burton powder boards now but may have something different next year.  I will find out in the fall.

My tentative plan for now is to take my ski boots as a carry-on, then I'm sure to have equipment that works.  I will mail or pack my board setup too.

Hey WJ.   Lucky You!   ..but we get tons of pow and are getting buried currently out here in the Sierras....so I got experience in this geographic location in knee to waist deep pow in hardboots and plates

#1..........find a board with setback!   This is huge in pow to keep you from having to lean back to keep the noise up, which  will kill your quads  in a just a couple of runs!

Hardboots and plates and pow do go together!   ...... but you want a softer hard boot...like a Track 325 Not a 425 or 700

For bindings I'm running TD3 sidewinders Step In's  ...... you could run 0 degree can't rings...but I run 3 degree  cants front and rear for carving on the groom when I need a break from the pow....usually on the same run.

Check out these pow slayers!!!    http://www.mosssnowstick.com.  

You can also get some Moss boards through:  https://www.evo.com

Here's a few of my Moss setups.........  all Moss love Pow!.....but can carve and will carve.....  but the green board on the right,  Moss PQ60 is my go to Pow work board  ...and notice the huge  setback!  It rides like a 170ish board...so don't think you need a huge 180ish longboard....... plus a shorter board is easier to maneuver And easier on the knees and legs!

5aa433c8b9e95_Moss1.jpg.ba6d2e1975ba2be801a93add882b90ca.jpgSAM_0870.thumb.JPG.ca8fb6ebdb41fe3e98d4e021148b3ead.JPGPQ4.jpg.bcda6372ab2b2f06b1c62880cc6585cc.jpg2.thumb.jpg.c14749439c3d0464d0e6c1c25d15fb5f.jpg

• Like 1

I have a 168 Dynastar 4807.  I road this years ago with soft boots on a trip to Big Mtn, MT.   I remember it being awesome.  But, what powder day isn't?

I think I will throw some plates on that board and workout my setup.

I just acquired UPZ RC8.  I'll plan on keeping the step-in's too.....I'm too old to be bending over!

So, the boots and bindings should be set.  The new boards a sooooo tempting and soooo many options....  I'm trying to resist!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, wjholm said:

I have a 168 Dynastar 4807.  I road this years ago with soft boots on a trip to Big Mtn, MT.   I remember it being awesome.  But, what powder day isn't?

I think I will throw some plates on that board and workout my setup.

I just acquired UPZ RC8.  I'll plan on keeping the step-in's too.....I'm too old to be bending over!

So, the boots and bindings should be set.  The new boards a sooooo tempting and soooo many options....  I'm trying to resist!

4807 will totally work. I rode the 178 version on a pow cat trip and killed everyone on boards. The 168 will be even better in trees if any. 

Ride your UPZs unlocked/walk mode if there's the option. Use soft plate bindings like Burton or Carve RS / Proflex. Avoid TD step in. 

Other then that, listen to Phil. 

Finally, the operator provided skis are better, for the first time trip. 

8 hours ago, barryj said:

Hey WJ.   Lucky You!   ..but we get tons of pow and are getting buried currently out here in the Sierras....so I got experience in this geographic location in knee to waist deep pow in hardboots and plates

#1..........find a board with setback!   This is huge in pow to keep you from having to lean back to keep the noise up, which  will kill your quads  in a just a couple of runs!

Hardboots and plates and pow do go together!   ...... but you want a softer hard boot...like a Track 325 Not a 425 or 700

For bindings I'm running TD3 sidewinders Step In's  ...... you could run 0 degree can't rings...but I run 3 degree  cants front and rear for carving on the groom when I need a break from the pow....usually on the same run.

Check out these pow slayers!!!    http://www.mosssnowstick.com.  

You can also get some Moss boards through:  https://www.evo.com

Here's a few of my Moss setups.........  all Moss love Pow!.....but can carve and will carve.....  but the green board on the right,  Moss PQ60 is my go to Pow work board  ...and notice the huge  setback!  It rides like a 170ish board...so don't think you need a huge 180ish longboard....... plus a shorter board is easier to maneuver And easier on the knees and legs!

5aa433c8b9e95_Moss1.jpg.ba6d2e1975ba2be801a93add882b90ca.jpgSAM_0870.thumb.JPG.ca8fb6ebdb41fe3e98d4e021148b3ead.JPG

Nive quiver! How is the Wingpin 175 compared to pq60 in pow and on piste? Speed? Agility? Flotation on flat traverses?

Those boards look great and you can tell that the shaper has a passion for his art.  I like to ride my Donek Axs with  my rear binding relaxed with some minor boot overhang in powder conditions.  Definitely gives more surfy feel.  Have always rode with hard boots in powder.  It helps to keep the boots in a flex/powder mode.  I do like the step in when I wipeout in deep stuff and I can pull the release cable to get out of the "yoga" position in the trees.  Sometimes it takes a while to get back in to the binding while trying not to sink down in the powder.

• Like 1

:biggthump Lucky you! Have a great trip. You will have a ball in hard boots and plate bindings on a powder board. My wife and I ride hard boots and plate bindings exclusively. On powder days we are on powder boards. This year, at our local resort, we have only had 2 pow days :mad: ... so far. We have been fortunate to have several days when we have had around 6 inches of fresh. Not a full-on powder day, but fun fresh snow. I often ride a powder board on days like that too.

We have taken one heli-trip (a day-trip) and a we have taken a couple snow cat trips (also just day-trips). We used to ride an all-mountain soft carving boards on powder days, and we would just set our bindings back. We have since moved to dedicated powder boards on days when we have new snow at our local resort.

I used to be convinced that the board I rode most days - a soft, all-mountain carving board, was just fine for powder days, and it was, but a dedicated powder board is a blast to ride and it makes the soft stuff so much easier (and more fun I think). You will have little problem with rear-leg burn on powder boards. The taper from tip to tail, set-back stance layout, and sometimes early-rise in tip (de-cambered tip) or a more shovel shaped tip, make these boards easy to ride in powder.  Powder specific boards are designed to make it much easier to stay afloat and not bury the tip. There are a lot of varieties of design. Go to a site like Prior and check out the multitude of powder specific designs they offer up. Other companies also make great boards for riding in powder.

I think Philw has mentioned in previous threads that you can indeed use plate bindings on Burton channel system. I believe you use a conversion kit that lets you mount three-hole or four-hole pattern disc mounted bindings to Burton boards. You might want to go to a local shop that sells Burton gear and see if you can get the conversion hardware before you go. Maybe take your plate bindings to see if they would let you practice setting up your bindings on one of their Burton demo boards. Just an idea.

Have a great time and let us all know how it goes!!! 

18 hours ago, BlueB said:

I'm coming for you with my 5mm T handle in hand!

Bring it on LB and BlueB! ............  I'll take any of my Moss boards with "those angles" in waist deep pow and if you boy's can catch me I will change my  angles..............until then  - Eat My Pow!   

11 minutes ago, barryj said:

Bring it on LB and BlueB! ............  I'll take any of my Moss boards with "those angles" in waist deep pow and if you boy's can catch me I will change my  angles..............until then  - Eat My Pow!   

I'll come down there and make you ride double diamond moguls and trees and you'll back of the angles yourself ;) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, barryj said:

You offering a place to stay?  If so... you're on!  I'll bring my 5mm T! :biggthump

I'll bring my LibTech 180 Grocer, F2 Plates and HBoots.  Oh what, you think I've never ridden deep pow before. :eplus2:

(Note: I'm only available April 8th- 20th, then after April 30 due to work commitments)

Some equipment stuff, which may or may not help. 

Board I use a 21.5cm waist 164cm line Nomad. If I had more money I would have tried one of the other offerings in my previous post. But for 3-5 days of knee deep+ powder per year, those just didn't make sense. 

Bindings I think titanflex are good. Well that's what I use. Both standard bail, not intec. You can't buy them in that configuration. They offer good flex and absorption. Might add s-flex plates or gecko carve or vist duo at some stage if I get some cheap. Titanflex was the cheapest option for me with absorption and flex. With some mild overhang (my preference for this style, I dislike wide board) I ride 45f/35r.

Boots I use my standard upz RC10 that I use for everything. They're soft-ish. But I've stiffened them with a few mods. Probably next year those will become my all mountain / powder boot and I'll move to mountain slope for carving exclusively.

Edited by daveo

Thanks for all the great advice!

I'm struggling with a binding selection.  I have several TD2/3 options but will likely buy something lighter and more flex.  Several contradictory opinions (never happens on this forum....lol)

Stepin vs bails??

Love that VIRUS Revolution!  Anyone actually tried it?  

Bindings? Well I know what I use, it's a personal choice. I've used traditional bindings in heli powder and they're fine, as are my current F2 Intecs. Hard boot bindings are popular as they easily fit into the basket. I would have some intec spares in the lodge as you're not going to find replacements in the middle of nowhere. I've never had a breakage. The trad bindings are more likely to take abuse in the basket than Intec, although I never had a problem with that.

I like Intecs because they're quicker in-out. Infrequently you will notice skiers clearing ice from the bottom of their boots with the tips of poles. When you see that, you can clear the bases of your boots on the wings of the Intec receiver. The guides should be aware of it, but make sure they don't even think about slinging the board "face down" expecting the hard boot bindings to anchor it, because they won't. You won't be allowed to ride with a leash, should you for some reason want to.

I would not buy bindings for powder: I'd use what you usually use. People who have their boots rigidly tight will find it's not needed, and is a bad idea if it's actually cold. I would not personally ride in "walk" mode or enter into arguments with people who think that's a "ride" mode. The boots can slip into that mode, but it's immediately obvious when that happens.

3 hours ago, philw said:

I would not buy bindings for powder: I'd use what you usually use. 

That's what I do! I don't ride powder often enough to get fancy. 

I just leave my TD3 cant rings in place and rotate the baseplates to the right angle for the wider powder board. 

I did decrease the forward lean on my boots.