Note to New Members ×

onboardcam

bigwavedave

16 hours ago, SunSurfer said:

Agree with Corey, great perspective! Had you thought about trialling a 90 degree rotation in camera angle to get the "landscape" format when you're right up on edge? 

Yes, thought of it after seeing the result of this experiment with a simple upright mount and then rotating the view in the computer afterwards.

I've found that I have have a proclivity for making "headless" rider shots:eek:of myself─probably some deep-rooted psychological issues I'm not ready to explore:ph34r:

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/12/2018 at 5:19 PM, SunSurfer said:

Agree with Corey, great perspective! Had you thought about trialling a 90 degree rotation in camera angle to get the "landscape" format when you're right up on edge? 

I have been wondering if it’s possible to mount a cam on the board on some kind of gimble, maintaining a horizontal perspective and providing a real view and f what is happening on the snow

Shawndoggy was the first person that I saw post from this perspective.  Loved it ever since.  Probably a little too much.  I personally use a bead of clear silicone around any mount on the surface of the board.  Works well in the cold cold, where adhesives have failed.  I have walked back up the line a few times.  Never fully lost a camera yet, though.

I like the rear view angle, sometimes.  I pretty much put any open source music to it to get rid of the horrid scritch and scratch.  Some of my older boots make a bunch of noise too.

one of these angles have my camera affixed to the side of my boot, pointed "up".   @ 1:03.   i gotta try more with that.

Wrong sport but interesting comparisons.  I videoed one my pacesetting runs at Okemo's NASTAR course a few years ago and matched up the helmet cam and tip cam.  Note that in the helmet cam view, the ski tips stay pretty much parallel but in the tip cam view, the distorted fisheye lens of the GoPro shows the ski tips diverging badly.  The follow up video shows what happens when you don't use a strong enough adhesive....