Note to New Members ×

any idea what this is?

There is some smart stuff going on there. I'm not on facebook anymore so I wish they had a website but I was able to see a fair amount. It looks like they have a version wherein the center disk is split into two ring cake layers that can be rotated relative to one another to create varying degrees of cant/lift. The kingpin desgin is rather terrifying as a single point of failure (though burly AF) but there's some cool stuff going on for sure. Stack height is (way) high for my tastes.

Seems like a mix of bomber/catek ideas with a plastic baseplate that is hopefully less of an insert-puller than most aluminum bindings that have to use the 4x4 insert pattern.

26992436_1397088077063852_27924056478209066_n.jpg.8022299189364371479e25997d886531.jpg

26993429_1397088187063841_8049559031318653010_n.jpg.6e67ae8823eb67fefad16c8dc2c511e7.jpg

26904343_1397088163730510_1352435693804360426_n.jpg.c71fa32c0b5c475b133b4af948a3ebff.jpg

24831335_1198912790210688_2344379828642787122_o.thumb.jpg.1097238d70c9e653d30426819c0ce0a7.jpg

Edited by queequeg
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Beckmann AG said:

Sims offered an all-plastic version of that mechanism in the '90s. I think it was made for them by Fritschi, but not 100% on that.

Also, Wombat had something similar, but I think they used some sort of hemispherical upper/lower interface for the cant/lift.

I remember seeing the wombat design you reference. Never saw the Fritschi.

I like the way this binding makes performing adjustments really easy: one screw for lift/cant/angle - which you can adjust without having to remove toe/heel blocks to access underlying screws. Kingpin means you have to carry two tools but thats an ok tradeoff. But the stack height is just waay too high for me.

The kingpin is also a bit scary, but perhaps that is not an actual concern. I wouldn’t actually be concerned about the kingpin snapping, but rather: the retention plate cracking around it. I think you’d probably feel it start to loosen up immediately if it were to crack - but if you didn’t and it failed catastrophically ... yow. That would suck. Looking through the other pictures it seems there is a big metal cap around the kingpin that would distibute point-loads that would otherwise occur locally on the kingpin further out ... that seems smart.

Lateley I’ve been interested in making my own bindings. If only I had the time. Too many projects already in the works. 

Edited by queequeg
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 3/9/2018 at 12:06 PM, queequeg said:

Lateley I’ve been interested in making my own bindings. If only I had the time. Too many projects already in the works. 

What were you working on? I am trying to resurrect the Bomber TD1 Skwal and have been playing around with it on my home made cnc router. This is a rough pass shot on some scrap plywood. Teaching myself to use the machine and CAD/CAM so it's a work in progress.

Screenshot_20201219-131359.png

I was working on an idea for bindings a long time ago that used a ball and socket interface for adjusting cant and lift options, giving you almost infinite adjustability like Catek. The idea also had a central kingpin and shaft. Tried it once, it's stayed in the storage bin ever since...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, *Ace* said:

What were you working on? I am trying to resurrect the Bomber TD1 Skwal and have been playing around with it on my home made cnc router. This is a rough pass shot on some scrap plywood. Teaching myself to use the machine and CAD/CAM so it's a work in progress.

Screenshot_20201219-131359.png

I was working on an idea for bindings a long time ago that used a ball and socket interface for adjusting cant and lift options, giving you almost infinite adjustability like Catek. The idea also had a central kingpin and shaft. Tried it once, it's stayed in the storage bin ever since...

Whuuuut! You built your own CNC out of a router??? That is amazing. Do you have more pics? I am impressed + curious!

@queequeg it's a custom version of designs off openbuilds.com machines. 3 axis cnc designed for a router but you can use it as a plotter or use a drag knife or laser. It uses aluminum extrusions for the frame. The controller hardware is a GRBL based board, spark v3 pro. I have that hooked up to a Raspberry Pi 4 that runs OpenBuilds Controller. It was an unfinished project I got from someone who was going to use it for ski building, so it's a long machine. It took some tinkering to get it to a running machine. I still need to get it fully dialed in, make a spoil board and add some better limit switches. It's been a fun project to pull me away from the XBOX at night.

Capture.PNG

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

@pow4ever it's a deep rabbit hole to head into. Definitely very fun and interesting. I'm green at it myself. Are you looking at building a machine?

My machine uses NEMA 23 stepper motors all around. Most hobby machines you see will use stepper motors. I have lead screws on the Z and Y(short axis) and dual rack and pinion for the long X(one of each side of the machine).

• Thanks 1

thank you both!  I happen to came across this article and just want to share.

It is indeed a deep rabbit hole. 
My question was mere an attempt at painting a picture of the said rabbit hole 🙂

my very limited knowledge on the subject:

Stepper motor missing step when overdrive it's torque specification due to open-loop system(no feedback loop and lower cost).

I have no horse in this race(cnc router) but just find such tech fascinating for the maker culture.