Note to New Members ×

Searchmont

Chouinard

Never been there, but have often wondered. They get more snow there than just about anywhere. In the ancient mountain range, the Algoma hills. It's pretty rugged territory.

I posted here asking the same a few years ago and got no reply.

Please file a report if you go.

I met a nice couple sailing on the big lake that own Bellevue Valley B&B near Searchmont. They also maintain some backcountry (teleski) terrain...and they have a wood fired sauna.

https://bellevuevalleylodge.ca/

• 2 weeks later...

Searchmont.jpg.12f85375b1f38ad8ed702f907a21e290.jpg

Searchmont Ski Resort - Alpine Ski & Board

As the only Midwest ski resort actually located on a mountain, Searchmont is proud to say that they have the most diverse terrain, the longest runs (18 in total) and the greatest vertical (750 feet!) in the area. Located just 30 minutes drive north of Sault Ste. Marie, Canada [and US]

Over two days of riding, I spent 75% of my time on the “Main” which is on the far right. Total of 6-7 benches as you drop approximately 650’. The lift discharges about 30 short of the peak with a flat spot about 3’ x 4’ if you can find it to clip in. From there you drop down two benches before blending in with flow from two addition feeds in a large bottom bowl, football field or more in diameter. Drop off the bowl into a short pitch that feeds directly down slope over a snow outcrop or left around the end with a toeside feed [regular] into a football field wide pitch that drops down two more benches and finishes in a bottom wave washout. Of course, the only onsite lodging has patios viewing the final drop. :cool:

If you have been to Buttermilk the terrain and drops remind me of the bottom third of the main run from “Bear”, “Lower Savio” & “Columbine” to the lift.

Snow texture: Frozen granular Chalk. 

Groom: Good to excellent, some areas of ripped open surface but was not frozen solid washboard typical of freeze/thaw cycles. Everyone could set an edge and dust never grew more than inch thick.  The surface was smooth underneath.

Other Runs: Multiple runs with varying pitch Blue-Black to Black-Black with fewer benches [see shadows in photo] thru mix of evergreens and deciduous trees. Partial sun thru day. Runs on far left were only available part of the day due to a lift out of service. I stayed off the other runs because I had plenty to do on the Main.

Qualifications:

Unless you go early in the season or after a dump, you are not going to have “Hero” snow after mid January/Early February due to freeze/thaw cycles.  Although the nighttime temperatures were in the teens, the days were pushing 40 so it was more packed kernels than packed snow.

I was skidding [2”-3” wide tracks] turns until the surfaced softened. It was way too fast in the morning for me to do otherwise.

Final thoughts:

I do not know if it is necessarily worth the trip from the west end of the U.P. but it is certainly worth the trip from downstate Michigan to bypass the Boyne/Nubs Nob foothills and drive up into the Canadian Shield formations.  I have driven seven hours to go to upstate NY for similar elevations but the terrain at Searchmont will pull me back and it is a shorter drive. In fact, I going again next weekend.:eplus2:

Lift tickets $56 CAD.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Chouinard said:

Searchmont.jpg.12f85375b1f38ad8ed702f907a21e290.jpg

thoughts:

I do not know if it is necessarily worth the trip from the west end of the U.P. but it is certainly worth the trip from downstate Michigan to bypass the Boyne/Nubs Nob foothills and drive up into the Canadian Shield formations.  I have driven seven hours to go to upstate NY for similar elevations but the terrain at Searchmont will pull me back and it is a shorter drive. In fact, I going again next weekend.:eplus2:

Lift tickets $56 CAD.

Nice report, thanks.:biggthump

Might get up there one day. From looking at snowfall reports, it appears they have had less than normal this year. Were there many people there?─room to carve?

Only open 4 days/week, Th-Fri. USD/CAD exchange helps make it attractive.

On 3/5/2018 at 12:35 PM, bigwavedave said:

From looking at snowfall reports, it appears they have had less than normal this year. Were there many people there?─room to carve?

Snow fall has been light this season after a decent start for most of the lower and east end of the upper.

Searchmont is run by a government backed entity because they did not want to lose the tourism.

Very laid back operations but a quality groom when there.

The pitches are fairly wide. I make GS turns with plenty of room.

I asked everyone if it was a typical crowd and everyone said it was a little light but I don't think they would get buried due to location. It's a very nice local ski resort.

There were the usual straightliners but I honestly don't think they see many alpine riders. I went into the Sport shop and the cashier said he saw me on the hill.

• Thanks 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 3/10/2020 at 7:47 PM, Chouinard said:

Second day groom after 10" of lake effect. Something wrong with this picture!?

52C2EB10-7994-4C5C-8302-33AC0BFB4593.jpeg

I think they're closed on Tuesdays Pat :confused: I almost went over there last week after riding at Indianhead and the Porkies. Then I realized didn't have my passport. When were you there?

I'm thinking of doing a road trip heading east next year to visit some of the other small areas in northern Ontario (Antoine) and Quebec (?), ending at Le Massif.

How's the carving at Searchmont? Good grooming? Favorite run(s)?

Searchmont at 5.5 hrs is the closet spot over 700’ so that skews my feedback.

The prominent feature is a geologic bench that spans the entire resort.

A mixture of both concave and convex pitches with multiple crossovers. Feels bigger than it is.

Typical Midwest groom/ice but enough lake effect to maintain a natural snow surface.

It appears that they do not till the surface very deep because the heavily skied runs are not smooth enough to carve across at any reasonable speed.

I spend a lot of time on the “Main”.  It could use a little more pitch...

If you are passing by thru the Soo it is only 26 miles out of town and definitely worth a stop.

Data from last weekend.

3523490D-1119-4823-85A2-D02C4EDB1442.png

8CFE5729-6564-4AEF-A550-8E53253438EC.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Visiting family for the holidays in elliot lake, and the local bump still hasn't opened for the season.  After hearing about this resort from this post, decided to make the 3hr drive to searchmont today for some early season riding.   With only 2 runs open, I was still excited to get out (first time this season). Started out on the softboot carver and switched to hardboots near the end of the day when the hill was less crowded. 

Met two locals that hardboot, but they were in soft gear today. They were pumped to see another hardbooter.

Home is niagara (9hrs away) so doubtful I'll get back this season when more runs open up.

Thanks Chouinard for the reviews 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...