Note to New Members ×

Gray Snowboards?

Randy Kight

1 hour ago, Randy Kight said:

Anyone know the difference between the Gray Desperado Ti and Desperado Ti Type R?  My Japanese has gotten rusty!

Dunno, I'll find out... but there is an early release.. way to honking long for my taste...25 wide AND 172 long...WTF!...  seems to me they should at that point go to hard boots...  That's like trying to turn around the Spruce Goose...

early.JPG

3 hours ago, Shred Gruumer said:

Did you see it up Close, How was the build quality?  R-one looks tasty...  So does the Build in the Yonex...that one intrigues me just from the fact that it is Yonex...  That's like scoring a set of Mizuno Irons!  Its gotta be good...look at all the layers of cake they put in it... and its 50% better!  {;-)

500111001j05470003.jpg

500111001j05470003_2.jpg

500111001j05470003_1.jpg

No didn't see it up close.  Just talk to the owner by email who is Jerry Niedermeier. Also designer of Korua shape. 

It's suppose be be the lightest snowboards in the world.  Can't verify that claim. 

Very nice looking boards 

Only video of him with there split design

https://youtu.be/13S3akj5sGQ

Edited by Poloturbo

37 minutes ago, Shred Gruumer said:

Dunno, I'll find out... but there is an early release.. way to honking long for my taste...25 wide AND 172 long...WTF!...  seems to me they should at that point go to hard boots...  That's like trying to turn around the Spruce Goose...

early.JPG

Damn Shred... $1600.00 USD plus import/shipping... ya' think it's worth it for a fairly unknown maker?  BTW- Sweet idea casing the Japan Amazon site! Makes me wonder what else is out there...

43 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

Makes me wonder what else is out there...

I know... it just opened up a whole new world.... and to think I was almost done!!  Many more toys to be had... the R-One is on the list!  (I reached out so will see)..   So is the Moss Majest and BC Stream H... Not convinced I need metal in these boards... My SRX rides great... and so does the Carbon Oxess..Lot of rubber!

Edited by Shred Gruumer

Gray desperado ti type r 166w looks like a legit board. Amazon co jp. Thanks for pointing me toward that. The one I played with briefly had what seemed to be some sort of possibly ptex topsheet. Not sure. But it was heavy and damp and amazing. Didn't notice the weight when on though. Less than my Kessler + apex V2. 

8 hours ago, Shred Gruumer said:

early.JPG

I think 26 wide, not 25...

Another way would be contact @Masahiko who is on this board, is Japanese but speaks english, and ask him nicely the best way to approach buying one of these boards.  A lot of the Japanese seem to think that the Oxess is one of the best of this type, but in Japan its the reverse where the Oxess is 2X the price of the Grey, Ogasaka, Yonex, Moss, BC, etc - AFAIK there are 2 main factories Yonex and Ogasaka (I think those are the two) that produce all these boards.

I know 2 people riding that exact Grey in Japan, I would say it's an awesome board, their level of carving is noticeably higher on that rather than the burton or whatever they were riding before, still not hardboot edge hold, but surprisingly decent.  And also coupled with stiffer boots, stiffer bindings etc etc.  There are also a few shops, it could be as simple as go to a local Japanese restaurant and nicely ask them for some assistance in ordering.  

3 hours ago, kipstar said:

@Masahiko A lot of the Japanese seem to think that the Oxess is one of the best of this type, but in Japan its the reverse where the Oxess is 2X the price of the Grey, Ogasaka, Yonex, Moss, BC, etc  

I was kind of under that impression as well but in all the years I've been here I've only ever seen a single Oxess board. That was 4 years ago from a guy who was sponsored by Oxess and was a snowboard Cross racer. Most of my Japanese friends I ride with spare no expense on their gear but from what I've seen SG is by far the most popular alpine brand and I'm seeing more and more Gray softboot boards by the day (perhaps I'm just noticing that now I'm interested in picking one up myself and since two of my friends own them I found out). I'm always surprised how little Oxess boards there are around especially since their sale bx boards from Oxess are usually around the 500-800EUR amount, which is kind of 'cheap' compared to the other gear I see around here.

Something cool I've noticed though is the number of people I've seen learning to or actually carving well down the slopes. Would probably see a few every chair ride. Some really decent ones who could be mistaken for riding hardboots, also. Spoke to some. Front angles of 40ish and rear of 20ish are not uncommon.

Can't get rid of Masahiko's tag in the quote. Just ignore that. 

Edited by daveo

16 hours ago, Shred Gruumer said:

I know... it just opened up a whole new world.... and to think I was almost done!!  Many more toys to be had... the R-One is on the list!  (I reached out so will see)..   So is the Moss Majest and BC Stream H... Not convinced I need metal in these boards... My SRX rides great... and so does the Carbon Oxess..Lot of rubber!

This fellow is interesting-https://blog.naver.com/kimcarving He definitely gets to see next year's gear pretty early.

Other boards I'd never heard of- http://www.amicss.com/product/list

https://m.blog.naver.com/PostView.nhn?blogId=kimcarving&logNo=221132477967&navType=tl

ogasaka_kr_20171104_161221.jpg?type=w2

FB_IMG_1516426828308_edit.jpg?type=w2

And to keep Shred craving that Yonex...

6 hours ago, Shred Gruumer said:

Funny as that was the fist thing I saw...me likey!! 

The top strap has a ratchet to get to the correct size and then a buckle at the back (kind of like a regular hardboot boot buckle). So it can be unbuckled to easily get in and out of the boot without changing the preset size or perhaps at the bottom of each run (like what I do to all my buckles). Then BAM CLICK SMASH retighten at the top of each run and off we goooo

Edited by daveo

If your looking for this year R-one Jerry told me they are BO. Maybe next year?

Still the carbon Textreme seems interesting and with research seems the lightest boards in the world by far. The grams quoted are way lightest of the bunch.

Good luck on your search.  Looks like we have similar taste for theses.

Edited by Poloturbo

So Daveo,

Whats the general thought on fun carving boards over there...Gray, SG, etc.?  The Yonex that Shred brought into the thread looks nice. The Gray Desp Ti R looks really nice, but my only experience with a metal board was a custom Kessler that was supposed to be a little more friendly than a full blown race, but i felt it didn’t like to turn...wanted more fall line. Could have been taper, etc.  Are these pretty fun to turn on with advantage of metal?  When you mention SG, are you talking about softboot, or wider type carving boards?

lots of questions...about ready to try the f2 Ti race plates after being in Burton-Ibex forever, but in the SG Performance version...need a new board to put them on!

Edited by Randy Kight

Gray,  Moss, BC and SG softboot carving boards are all a thing here. Mainly Gray and SG though. In general softboot carving is a pretty big thing here. Seems like it's a lot more popular than last year, lots of people trying to do it and failing repeatedly and then picking themselves back up and trying again until they get it (aka learning...). And there are definitely more than a few decent softboot carvers here. A lot of the guys even on swallowtails can carve exceptionally well. 

After speaking with a couple of the dudes here they think for a metal board the desperado ti (will ask about type r on Monday. Same length has 20cm extra effective edge compared to non type r) is the way and for non metal one of the SG boards is the way to go. Apparently Moss are quite flexible.

I still think the new 166 desperado type r looks pretty sweet for myself.

Are flow nx2-gt and driver x boots still the thing to get?

Just grabbed a set of gecko frees to throw on it. Been spoilt by the apex race V2 on the Kessler so want to dampen the ride as much as possible =D

OK 

Instead of just talking... who wants a Gray;.   so I tried to simulate a purchase but got stuck at.... over all length can not  be over 150cm using a forwarder... BS... if I can get stuff from Europe over that then that a bunch of BS..  This site is fairly big so someone has japan know how..  I mean if im talking direct to SG , Oxess...etc someone can talk to Gray!!!  Dont make me fly over there...  really most MFG will accomodate us in the US... I just pulled in a Santa Cruz SRX... so not all is lost....  

How do we make this happen?  Ps.. if you look at the specs they are much more rideable than a BX board....meaning they will finally turn!!!!

2 minutes ago, daveo said:

Hmm... I'm buying one soon but getting it shipped to Japan and picking it up when I get back next year. 

159/160 for 90k JPY

Or

Next year's 166 for 170k JPY

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

i dont know what there lengths are ...i hoping for a 161 to 163..   166 seems like a boat .. anything over the 163 mark that wide seems like i should just be on an alpine board..  the point for me was to get a manuvable board that can carve and not a tanker..  guess i should just make me a special coiler ....

19 minutes ago, daveo said:

159 has a 143 effective edge... Pretty damn loooong. 160 is the wide version. And effective edge is the same length. 

159 it is!!!  im looking at August for me to do all these hard to get boards...  got the R-One set up for that time frame.  specs are good on that... so hopefully the gray will fall in place or the yonex.

3 hours ago, Shred Gruumer said:

159 it is!!!  im looking at August for me to do all these hard to get boards...  got the R-One set up for that time frame.  specs are good on that... so hopefully the gray will fall in place or the yonex.

In that case maybe look into getting the 159 soon and figure out logistics later. The shop will hold it for you if you pay. The 159 is half price at the moment because previous/current season stock. Well the 18-19 models are just released now. 88000jpy vs 170000jpy.

I'm probably going to go for the 166cm so yeah kind of stuck with the expensive one.