Note to New Members ×

Gray Snowboards?

Randy Kight

Interesting, the SRX rides so much better with softies!  was much quicker than with plates,  I think the larger foot print and bindings pressure over the edge made it much more lively.  i was running TD3,s.the base disk just dosent extend out and pressure the edge like the soft binding did, which now i think ill stay away from any power plates other than maybe the Apex Stealth plates as they extend to the edge.   The board felt like going from a 14m sidecut to a 12...11.8m.  The Stiff Ride Insano boots were a huge improvement, love the stiff plastic tongue and the new Switchback Session stiff bindings improved things as well..  I guess im going to research stiffest shit out there to see how far it can go?  Whats the stiffest softboot? I ended up about 40/25 for my optimal angles.. any more and i had no leverage for when it got bumped up.    Oh forgot full size canting both front and back would really help..my bindings don't have canted foot beds.

P3100001.JPG

P3100003.JPG

Edited by Shred Gruumer

8 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

Most of the SBX riders seem to go with the Driver X. I've always wondered if they beefed up the tongue... 

Drivers come with extra plastic "powerup" tongue insert. I find their flex is not much different front to back to my stock T700s, but the drivers tend to balloon a little more in upper cuff.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Lurch said:

Drivers come with extra plastic "powerup" tongue insert. I find their flex is not much different front to back to my stock T700s, but the drivers tend to balloon a little more in upper cuff.

Yeah... that's what I'm talking about!

I've always wondered if the SBX pros made a more stiff tongue insert (or even an additional tongue) and maybe some beefier strap system for the upper cuff.

31 minutes ago, lonbordin said:

Burton Driver X, Salamon Malamutes are known to be the stiffest.

Hmmm when i was doing home work.. Those B word boots seemed to be softer these days...from the reviews..   I wish there were more comparisons out there im wondering how the Insanos stack up...the stiff tongues sold me...oh well,  but i really like the double boa on them..  made it super easy to crank them down and loosen up at will.. same goes for the Switchback.. but they are simple and light and love the look of the framework.  Im  used to riding hardboots so nothing feels stiff.

Edited by Shred Gruumer

4 hours ago, Lurch said:

They don't come with that anymore. I just bought their most recent version. Either that or I'm missing something. In saying that, they're hella stiff

Edited by daveo
  • Thanks 1

Just checked their marketing material they come with a powerup tongue. But it doesn't come with any additional plastic insert. Maybe it's incorporated permanently into the tongue? I don't know. 

My ones from 2010 didn't have this either actually. I'll be throwing the hardest Palau overlaps in them, though, the liner is really nothing to write home about.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:10 PM, Alloy Snow USA said:

Stratton is planning to close on April 8th.  I think Alloy is talking to someone in Vancouver about distribution in Canada.  I will see if they have contracted them yet. 

Alloy did not get a distributor locked in for the 18/19 season in Canada so I will be able to help you out.  I am sending a demo out today.  I will have that sent to you after if you'd like.

• 8 months later...
On 12/10/2018 at 5:13 AM, Randy Kight said:

Just checking back in on my old topic...any new input on any of these boards?  Anyone made turns on Gray, Yonex, etc.?

Gray has a huge presence in Japan, China and Korea, overpriced in my opinion. But they are tailor made for G-Force style turns, not as good as the european boards like kessler, oxess and sg, but definitely an interesting style.

Yonex is very rare in China, don't know enough about them.

The style and development of the boards make sense when considering the type of resorts they have in Japan, typically smaller, shorter, more packed powder and just generally much slower when concerning top speed.

Edited by pauleleven
  • Like 1

• 2 years later...

Find this post on goole when I searching for where can I buy a bc stream snowboard in us. Still get nothing.

I have a Gray Despardo Ti in China and It’s feels great and it’s friendly to do the turning. 

I still want to try a bc r2 snowboard but I didn’t find a dealer in US.

• 4 months later...
On 11/11/2021 at 3:55 PM, Wayne1 said:

Find this post on goole when I searching for where can I buy a bc stream snowboard in us. Still get nothing.

I have a Gray Despardo Ti in China and It’s feels great and it’s friendly to do the turning. 

I still want to try a bc r2 snowboard but I didn’t find a dealer in US.

Try Zenmarket. My friends and I bought the boards through this site. It basically helps you purchase the board within Japan, and ships the board overseas. The boards are available on Rakuten.JP through Zenmarket.