Note to New Members ×

Gray Snowboards?

Randy Kight

These look very nice.  I know they're Japanese...anyone out there try their Desperado, or Alpine line?  Know where these might be had from the US?  The thread started last year about softboot carving peaked my interest in these.  The riding done on their Desperado Ti Type R in the linked vid around the 1:30 mark is absolutely brilliant to my eye...and what I'm after style wise.  

Randy

When you find out and get a line lets us know..    I put in a lot of work to pull in a Santa Cruz SRX from Austria...  for the Gray I got halfway through checkout with Raukten  but then i could not fill the rest in with the required chicken scratch.

https://search.rakuten.co.jp/search/mall/DESPERADO+Ti+TypeR/?scid=af_pc_etc&sc2id=af_101_0_0

18 minutes ago, daveo said:

The most experienced guy I know has a Gray Desperado Ti Type R. One hella heavy beast and it carves magically. Super damp also. Contemplating picking one up myself.

Oh. And he's in Japan. And he's Japanese. 

Group Buy!!!!  Anyone know why not one pacific company is not in NA market...  I love riding these boards with hardboots!!  I find them my go to boards when I just want to use the whole mountain and just bop around...

Gray, Moss, Ogasaka...etc.

23 minutes ago, Shred Gruumer said:

Group Buy!!!!  Anyone know why not one pacific company is not in NA market...  I love riding these boards with hardboots!!  I find them my go to boards when I just want to use the whole mountain and just bop around...

I guessing probably a percieved lack of demand and sizing will be slightly off in terms of waist width, i'm guessing the Endevour hammerhead isnt available for the same reasons. looking at the Ogasaka line up the Orca and FC-W are just about wide enough for me to be comfartable to ride in softboots the other ones not so much

1 hour ago, Shred Gruumer said:

So Shred...you've ridden these?  Let's hear it!  

This Type R looks awesome...would love to try with a set of plates.

1 hour ago, daveo said:

The most experienced guy I know has a Gray Desperado Ti Type R. One hella heavy beast and it carves magically. Super damp also. Contemplating picking one up myself.

Oh. And he's in Japan. And he's Japanese. 

I take it you've ridded this?  Hard or soft boots?  In general, pretty easy to ride I would assume?  I've purchased a few Japanese Shimano high-end casting reels directly, and when the dollar is up, they can be had for a huge discount...and the customer service is incredible to say the least.  

They've got some beautiful boards from the looks of it.  

1 hour ago, SnowFerret said:

So Shred...you've ridden these?  Let's hear it!  

This Type R looks awesome...would love to try with a set of plates

I have not...  Im just starting to try to get my hands on some of them.   Funny as in 2008 I had the Coiler Lunch tray 159... everyone laughed then....Now look...oh well..   I just brought in that Santa Cruz SRX 161... rode it yesterday... fun as hell with plates...no problem handling it..   Not constructed with as much ingredients as the Gray...but it rode great none the less...Not all that glassy either, which was nice!!  oh and no way in hell was it 11.4m sidecut... more like 16m... thing was fricken fast!

6 hours ago, daveo said:

I'm in for a group buy. I might be able to enquire while I'm still in Japan. 9 days and counting. 

why not just become the North american distributor of all Japanese brands.. there is some much more than Gray...  The BC Stream H-M looks tasty..   The Yonex Symarc Mg ...mmm

After looking at Rakuten Ichiban.. i did not find much of anything left other than stuff in the 150cm range.   But there seems to be some early release 2019 models..I saw a pre release of the Type R too.

Looks like a August run on buying a couple is in the cards..

Edited by Shred Gruumer

Rode it on plates but the master who it belongs to uses flows on bomber power plates. I'm going to buy one for next season 100%. Might try a pair of those geckos with it. Was super damp and easy to ride/carve all things considered. My first contact with a softboot carve board but here there are a few ogasaka moss and gray boards. And the odd F2 eliminator here n there, not sure if that qualifies. 

8 hours ago, daveo said:

And the odd F2 eliminator here n there, not sure if that qualifies. 

F2 Qualifies..  Especially if you score a Hanno Proto model... if you see one cheap...snag it..you won't be disappointed!  

8 hours ago, daveo said:

I'm going to buy one for next season 100%.

I will most likely go through Rakuten and use a forwarder...  Unless the Mfg responds back to my emails...(its how I roll)...ha..  Lots of cool stuff out that way..  I wish the Yonex was a better hammer shape,,, the construction and materials are up there!!! see web site... I know the tennis rackets are great...  

The Majest looks good too and its the least expensive out of the bunch! (Next years graphics look cheesy though).     Take a look at BC Stream...they are making them honking long.. dunno about a 25.5 wide board at 170...

Heres some other eye candy...  and the R-One...

imgrc0071369185.jpg

fana17rone-1.jpg

imgrc0068985566.jpg

f7rk11.jpg

yonex guts.JPG

Edited by Shred Gruumer

1 hour ago, Poloturbo said:

I talked to the owner of One snowboard 

Did you see it up Close, How was the build quality?  R-one looks tasty...  So does the Build in the Yonex...that one intrigues me just from the fact that it is Yonex...  That's like scoring a set of Mizuno Irons!  Its gotta be good...look at all the layers of cake they put in it... and its 50% better!  {;-)

500111001j05470003.jpg

500111001j05470003_2.jpg

500111001j05470003_1.jpg

55 minutes ago, xy9ine said:

the japanese are leading the charge. shame about the narrower widths

Nah!!!  I wouldn't say leading...I would say enhancing!!  don't forget bout this brand as a softie carving... except I made it not so fricken wide....sorry... 159 Oxess Bx comp nose and tail... still a fine board!!!  almost 8 years old...

006.JPG

• Like 1