Note to New Members ×

All-Mountain Board Recommendations

SnowFerret

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎13 at 11:34 AM, Neil Gendzwill said:

Just from the text on your website, seems like the Blunt Diamond is your recommendation for all-mountain riding, correct?

They are all designed for all-mountain riding. But it all depends on what your main focus and conditions will be. The Blunt Diamond has the most taper and setback and will be a better choice for deep pow in tight trees. The Diamond Blade is for groomers with occasional pow days. The Hammerhead is the Blunt's big brother: a bit less taper and setback, more speed, more stability, more float, more edge hold. The Lifer has something from all of them. It's the one I ride most often these days when I don't know what to expect from the conditions.

Edited by Mig
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A while back I started a Facebook Page that is focused on larger snowboards.    If anyone here is interested you are welcome to join . https://www.facebook.com/groups/657643737705447/  "Bryan's Big Boy Boards"  :)

I recently got a chance to ride my new Maverick (Now Stranda) 200cm "Cheater" in fresh snow, it is really stable and has great float yet rips as a soft snow carver too.  I think I have found my new "Tweener" for those fresh snow days of 6" and or soft groomers.   

20180220_100246.jpg

20180215_083547.jpg

28125730_2087283341286801_59830346_o.jpg

• Like 4

On 2/26/2018 at 2:51 AM, Aracan said:

On the first two photos it looks as if you ride with underhang on the rear boot. If yes, may I inquire as to the reason?

Mainly due to my oldschool habits.  I prefer steep angles , I know that is not current theory , just what I am most comfortable with.  Years and years of riding narrow boards with big feet. 

Hi Dan, yes, that was yesterday at Mt Hood Meadows.  Not sure. I want to go up this next week on a day that is good carving weather. Mon or Tuesday perhaps but I don't decide until that morning.    We have a "Conditions report Page" on FB if you are interested.  I post there along with Jim, Mike and a few other carvers. 

On 2/28/2018 at 3:31 PM, billyt. said:

Bryan that board looks great and seems nimble for it size, enjoy!

Yes, although it is long it turns quick yet has great stability at speed.   I did find it a bit much at the bottom of Heather Canyon's exit yesterday. Very tight set of tiny switch backs at the bottom to get back to the runout trail.   

On 3/2/2018 at 2:14 PM, billyt. said:

I understand your comfort with set stance angles, but that board wants you to have more relaxed Angles?  Surfing that board on big days, man I am jealous.  Keep the photos coming.

I certainly can't argue that but my request to narrow it up by about an inch was overridden by those that know this board is going to be written by soft boot Riders also

On 3/2/2018 at 1:25 PM, Dan said:

Nice Bryan! Is that at Meadows? I'm trying to set things up so I can play hooky on Tuesday (March 6), any chance you might be heading up then? 

I talked to tinks yesterday and it sounds like he might be headed up Tuesday so all-in-all I may choose to go Tuesday instead

On 3/3/2018 at 2:32 PM, www.oldsnowboards.com said:

I talked to tinks yesterday and it sounds like he might be headed up Tuesday so all-in-all I may choose to go Tuesday instead

Nice! I'm locked in for Tuesday - got dog care lined up and moved my dentist appointment, so now I _have_ to go. Have not had nearly as many days on snow this season as I would like, but hoping to make up for lost time. Probably won't get up there until after 8:30 though, so I'll look for you on the hill in the regular spots. I'll have my phone with me. 

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Nice! I'm locked in for Tuesday - got dog care lined up and moved my dentist appointment, so now I _have_ to go. Have not had nearly as many days on snow this season as I would like, but hoping to make up for lost time. Probably won't get up there until after 8:30 though, so I'll look for you on the hill in the regular spots. I'll have my phone with me. 

I'm actually meeting someone at Meadows around 10 tomorrow who wants some instruction.  So I guess I'll see you there.  

3 minutes ago, Keenan said:

I'm actually meeting someone at Meadows around 10 tomorrow who wants some instruction.  So I guess I'll see you there.  

Look for the rider making B- carves on an A+ Thirst board! :biggthump

• Like 1

So, I ended up acquiring an old Virus Avalanche as my all-mountain board.  Not exactly what I had set out to find originally, but I'm not complaining.  I've only got one day on it so far but man does this thing rip.  Sooooo much pop when transitioning from edge to edge and for launching over rollers and chop.  I would love to put a few more days on it this year.

The board felt really good in hardboots and I'm interested in eventually trying it out for a few days in softies. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/5/2018 at 10:29 AM, Dan said:

Look for the rider making B- carves on an A+ Thirst board! :biggthump

You looked REALLY Good Dan!!!  Thanks for taking the time to ride with the ole man!!! Missed riding with you the past few years!! Bryan  

It was a great carving session with everyone at MHM!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, www.oldsnowboards.com said:

You looked REALLY Good Dan!!!  Thanks for taking the time to ride with the ole man!!! Missed riding with you the past few years!! Bryan  

It was a great carving session with everyone at MHM!!

Thanks for the kind words Bryan! It was a great day and everyone was slaying...too bad conditions were too perfect to take the time to shoot video ;-)

Have definitely missed seeing you on the hill; hope that we connect a few more times before the lifts close down!