Note to New Members ×

World Cup Ester Ledecka

bigwavedave

3 wins in a row for Ester in PGS. Pretty impressive! Maybe coaches will be putting alpine boarders on skis for cross training? Just like how BX coaches started having their riders learn how to carve with the alpine snowboard racers several years ago.

This looked like a pretty big turny course favoring bigger carves. This is from the FIS website. Just the final run. The final run of the men follows, worth watching them layin' it all out!...and nice to see Oxess and Black Pearl boards getting on the podium with SG and Kessler.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DGSS is walk mode with restraint, great picture, look at the rear foot forward lean, on top of stacked F2 lifters, my guess is the "spring system" is some sort of locking device that pushes the boot cuff more forward, no spring. Love to see her angulation on a rear turn, yea, that's a front turn but not a cranker.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ursle said:

DGSS is walk mode with restraint, great picture, look at the rear foot forward lean, on top of stacked F2 lifters, my guess is the "spring system" is some sort of locking device that pushes the boot cuff more forward, no spring. Love to see her angulation on a rear turn, yea, that's a front turn but not a cranker.

Yeah... looking that the end of the video after the run the boot always seems to be in that position. Nice observation @ursle!

image.png.c84a0ff530fb7a64523a38c72c43a1fa.png

Not a set-up for all day riding, even with world cup thighs.

Pretty sure GS race board inserts have more set-back than a recreational carver (although I've never measured it) so they can be ridden with an aggressive, go-fast forward leaning stance. I've been more comfortable on them when I moved my bindings forward about a cm or so for more relaxed (all day) riding. Just saying.....

I don't race anymore.

• 4 weeks later...
  • bigwavedave changed the title to World Cup Ester Ledecka
3 hours ago, bigwavedave said:

Ester wins super G at Olympics! Wow! ...and the commentators seem flabbergasted that she's a snowboard racer (whatever that is?)

Incredible accomplishment!  I suspect that will generate much needed coverage of Women's PGS as well as Men’s

Edited by patmoore
  • Like 2

I've been watching the olympics on CBC -- so much better than the American broadcasters -- but they seemed hilariously clueless about the whole thing when Ester won. One commentator said "She will be competing in parallel snowboard next week". LOL, parallel snowboard, WTF? I'm actually a little miffed that a former World Cup skier doesn't know the names of the snowboard race events...

• Like 2

Wow did bigwavedave call it or what?

Does anyone suspect that Ester Ledecka's alpine snowboarding background might have given her an advantage in the Super G at PyeongChang?  Stronger legs?  Better carving dynamics?  Did she choose a better line because of it?  Now the question is will more ski racers give alpine snowboarding a try?  Or is she an outlier?   

Here's the best video I could find of her run.  I like the nice shots of her turns at :26, :39, and :56.

https://sports.yahoo.com/silver-medalists-stunned-gracious-reaction-ester-ledeckas-super-g-win-wow-114137346.html 

Edited by darko714

This is a great compilation video showing some of the top finishers' super G runs and then Ester's,  interspersed with cuts to the top finisher waiting at the bottom, seeming confident of her win with everyone already congratulating her, and then the reactions.

https://www.nbcolympics.com/news/watch-stunned-commentators-call-ester-ledeckas-shocking-victory

• Like 1